This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

motion artifacts with High Quality MKV

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:20 PM
Edited Sep 9, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Hi -

i'm getting some pretty bad streaking / artifacts in my video encodes using the High Quality MKV preset.

Source is a TV movie recorded in WTV. I uploaded screen shots and the full log to the uploads/ckronengold18 folder.

Any motion - not just fast motion - is blurring / streaking pretty badly.

I suspect is has to do with the source material -- possibly being 4:3 -- that is causing it.
Sep 10, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Those artifacts are basically due to lack to deinterlacing. Your original video is interlaced and on your build MCEBuddy isn't detecting the interlacing. I noticed you're using an older build 07/13/2014

Last week's build had a few enhancements to the interlace detection algorithm. Try the latest build and it should solve your issue. If MCEBuddy still has issues detecting interlacing let us know and as a quick fix just turn off 'automatically detect video quality' in the converstion task settings (this will prevent mcebuddy from turning off the deinterlacer which has been enabled in all Normal and HQ profiles).
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 9/10/2014 at 6:35 AM
Sep 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Edited Sep 11, 2014 at 5:47 AM
upgraded to the latest beta.
ran it again, still got the same artifacts.

turned off "auto detect video quality" and still had the same ones.
checked with a different title recorded from the same channel (Sony HD), and it has the same issues.

No quality issues, though, using the MP4 Normal preset.

added the new logs to the upload folder.

thanks as always.