This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MKV Normal (1 pass) or MKV Best (2 pass) with quicksync?

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM
I know quicksync is single pass and it automatically converts to single pass when quicksync is enabled...I just wonder if any of the other settings related to quality make one choice or the other better when using quicksync....also is there any advantage to enabling BOTH quicksync and opencl? New pc has i7/intel graphics 4000 as well as an amd radeon 7450. Quicksync is much faster althogh I noticed file size did take a hit going to single pass.
Oct 5, 2014 at 1:34 PM
you can move the quality slider out to improve quality
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/8/2014 at 6:50 AM
Oct 5, 2014 at 5:55 PM
Thanks. How many conversions using quicksync do you allow to run at same time? I want to leave enough cpu for recording of 1-4 shows via the hdhomerun network tuners but I currently only have it set to two at a time and the cpu meter is hovering from 3-7% usage.
Oct 5, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Hmm also do you have opencl AND quicksync enabled or only quicksync? I see it's telling me opencl 1.2 is supported but I have not added the needed parms yet.
Oct 6, 2014 at 12:18 PM
I have mine limited to 1 at a time, and starting from 10:00 pm. Not necessary because I have a pretty stout PC, but that is what I have mine set to. Not sure about if both are set or not, but I do use hardware encoding. Takes me about 38-40 minutes to encoded to MP4 high with commercial removal and I have up the quality and size a bit from the presets.
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM
If you're using quicksync you can increase the number of conversions. Each one will take up incremental CPU also (overhead). Make sure you're running 2.4.1 BETA since there is a bug in 2.3.15 which slows down hardware encoding if the source is interlaced. I've run upto 8 conversions simultaneously wiht quicksync enabled and seen the CPU at only 40%.
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2014 at 1:50 PM
For opencl see the thread on when opencl is beneficial (trial and error). Also one of the users posted a thread recently where he saw significant benefits from opencl but he had an older cpu.