This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Video Card Options

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Thanks for a great product! Wow, I've been able to condense over the air TV from 5 GB down to 600K w/o commercials and with the same original quality.

I do have performance issues though which from what I've read can be easily remedied through the latest MCEBuddy release and by purchasing a graphics card.

I've been looking for a graphics card that supports OpenCL and QuickSync (searched for: GPU OpenCL QuickSync) at Amazon. Nothing showed up and I quickly realized that I don't have a clue what I need. I realize that you probably can't recommend a card but would you be able to provide a better search criteria for me to find what I need? Just to be clear, I'm a total newbie at video cards.

I also have a special criteria - my computer is an HP Proliant Micro Server that has a low profile expansion slot.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Mike
Oct 13, 2014 at 10:39 AM
I think you may be out of luck. I'm only basing this on my own research and I could be wrong.

Handbrake which does the conversion really only supports Intel QuickSync for hardware encoding. And for Intel QuickSync you need an Intel HD GPU AND certain Intel CPU's.

Only the G8 Microserver has an Intel CPU, and it doesn't support QuickSync unfortunately.

From the Handbrake page ->
An Intel Sandy Bridge, Ivy Brige or Haswell CPU with Intel's HD graphics chipset enabled. Ivy Bridge or Haswell are recommended for best results.
Oct 13, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Thanks for the reply Griffo.

I did see where a video card supporting OpenCL might help. However the HP Proliant has a 150 Watt Power supply which is definitely a constraint. I did Some research and found that ASUS HD 6450 graphic card 1GB DDR3 has the lowest energy consumption so I purchased it. The card runs great according to ASUS monitoring tools. MCEBuddy doesn't see it though. This is what I've tried...
  1. I added -P to the profile line: to handbrake-video=--start-at duration:3 -e x264 -b 1800 -x -P ...
  2. I added -U to the profile line: to handbrake-video=--start-at duration:3 -e x264 -b 1800 -x -U ...
  3. I added -P and -U to the profile line: to handbrake-video=--start-at duration:3 -e x264 -b 1800 -x -P -U ...
Right now MCEBuddy takes 5 hours to process a 1 hour homerunhd over-the-air TV show. I'd be happy with a 3 hour conversion. This way the computer could convert several shows during the night and have them ready in the morning for my daily train rides. Currently 50% of my Ram (2 of 4 MB) is being used. The CPU is the bottleneck with 100% utilization when converting the file.

Am I following the right instructions for using the video card?

Mike
Oct 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Griffo wrote:
I think you may be out of luck. I'm only basing this on my own research and I could be wrong.

Handbrake which does the conversion really only supports Intel QuickSync for hardware encoding. And for Intel QuickSync you need an Intel HD GPU AND certain Intel CPU's.

Only the G8 Microserver has an Intel CPU, and it doesn't support QuickSync unfortunately.

From the Handbrake page ->
An Intel Sandy Bridge, Ivy Brige or Haswell CPU with Intel's HD graphics chipset enabled. Ivy Bridge or Haswell are recommended for best results.
Mike, did you miss this part of the reply? The Asus board is an AMD based card.
Oct 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM
Edited Oct 14, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Sorry for not getting it. I'm trying to come up to speed quickly. Is the recommendation for a motherboard, CPU, or GPU?
Intel Sandy Bridge, Ivy Brige or Haswell CPU with Intel's HD graphics chipset enabled.
I believe CPU, thus the word 'CPU' above. However, is it possible to improve performance with a GPU? That would be easiest without having to rebuild my computer.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Mike