This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

New Computer Recommendations

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Edited Oct 13, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Does anyone have a cost effective recommendation for a media server?

Below are my hardware and software requirements:
  1. Hardware (CPU and Graphics card) optimized for MCEBuddy
  2. 2+ terabytes of hard disk space
  3. Compatible with MCEBuddy, HDHomeRun and Plex Software
  4. Total cost - less than $500
My Goal - Automatically record Over-the-air HDTV show series using HomeRunTV and then replay them using Plex on my home theater and Android phone while traveling.

My Challenge - Its all working! However, a one hour HomeRunTV recorded show's file size is 5+GB so conversion is a must. My computer only has the horse power to convert (comskip/clean and compress) ONE file by morning. My current media server configuration (HP Proliant MicroComputer) takes 5+ hours to convert one show. A faster computer should allow me to convert 3+ shows a night.

What hardware products has everyone had the best success with? Please reference hardware part numbers and cost.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Mike
Coordinator
Oct 13, 2014 at 3:54 PM
Make sure it has Haswell or Ivy chipsets for quicksync. Try using a separate hard disk for MCEBuddy to reduce disk load, and a fast one 10k rpm or flash for best performance.
Oct 15, 2014 at 5:37 PM
Coordinator
Oct 15, 2014 at 6:20 PM
This link appears to show that it supports QuickSync, so it should work.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/z87-chipset-brief.pdf
Oct 24, 2014 at 5:22 AM
mlibbyrh wrote:
rboy1,

Does the following meet the criteria:

Intel Core i5-4670K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.4 GHZ 6 MB Cache - BX80646I54670K MSI Computer Corp. Motherboard ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z87-GD65 GAMING

Mike
If this is for dvr purposes only, then this is way overkill.

I have an i-3 4130T cpu and it removes commercials and converts videos at about a 1:1 ratio. So an hour show takes an hour to convert. Some take a little longer and other a little shorter. But average is about 1:1.

Plus the i3-4130T is a low power cpu (TDP of 35 watts). The i5-4670k has a TDP of 84-watts.

You definately need some ddr3-1600 memory for either chip. The gaming motherboard is overkill. You just need a budget office motherboard. I like the Asus H81M-K. It is a few dollars more than a lot of other H81 boards, but I've had good reliability with Asus plus they provide BIOS updates regularly.

This should keep your electric bill low and save you some money on purchase.

Good luck
-=Mark=-