This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Issues using WTC Unprocessed with Linksys 2100 Extender

Oct 14, 2014 at 5:09 PM
Hi,
I had reported this issue a while ago, but can't seem to find the discussion. I am running the 2.3.15 (last downloaded yesterday - I am in the early release program but have not downloaded the current beta).

I am trying to run MCE Buddy on my .WTV files to remove commercials only (using COMSKIP). I am using the "WTV unprocessed" profile to retain full picture quality and 5.1 audio.

The resulting videos sporadically freeze for a few seconds upon playback - that is, it will play for a few seconds, then freeze for a few seconds, play for a few seconds, then freeze for a few seconds... This does not happen all the time, on all videos, and sometimes does not even on the same video played at a different time - but it does happen enough to cause annoyance (particularly on behalf of my wife). I did not have this problem on the original files before processing my MCE Buddy.

When I last reported this issue, we tried a few adjustments, but were unable to resolve the issue, leading me to believe that it might be my system - or possibly CPU contention with other running applications.

Update... I recently decided to replace my PC with a new, more powerful model before Microsoft cuts availability of Windows 7 (and therefore compatibility with my extenders). The new PC is a Dell XPS8700 with a i7 processor and 8GB of RAM running x64 Windows Home Premium. So far, I have only installed MCE Buddy, so I would expect not to have contention issues.

Unfortunately, the freezing/starting problem still exists. Not sure if there is anything else to try without losing quality, but thought I would ask...

The second issue is very minor, but I noticed that the Fast Forward and Rewind do not work properly when near the end of the show. This is pure speculation, but could it have something to do with the fact that the processed show is shorter than the original- but the description of the show indicates the original length (i.e. is there some math going on that uses this information which gets messed up because the actual show is 10 to 20 minutes shorter than what the description says)?
Oct 14, 2014 at 7:27 PM
Can you upload one sample video that "freezes" to the mcebuddy server.

What software are you using to play it back?
Also attach a link or upload your conversion log.
Oct 20, 2014 at 7:01 PM
So I installed MCEBuddy 2.4.1 and reprocessed my library. Seemed to be working fine until last night when I hit the freeze/start issue again. I have split off the first 100MB of the program and will upload. I also checked my resource monitor when the event was occurring and again saw extremely high disk activity. I took a screen shot of this and will upload as well.
Oct 28, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Oct 28, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Oct 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Thanks for forwarding these posts. I will take a closer look at which program seems to be chewing up my hard drive access when it pauses, but to be clear, this issue only seems to arise when viewing a MCE Buddy processed file using the WTV unprocessed profile. It does not occur on original, unprocessed WTV files.

The posts in the links you provided seem to be from users who are having trouble with original, unprocessed files. Given that this issue has occurred on both my old and my new installation, I suspect it has something to do with the MCE Buddy's WTV unprocessed profile.

I, of course, have no knowledge of all of the technical aspects here, but I still have to come back to questioning whether this could have anything to do with the fact the timeline issue - that is, when viewing the details (header data?) of a Recorded TV program, it shows the original recording length (say 60 minutes), while when viewing the show and pausing, the timeline shows the edited length (say 40 minutes). As you get closer to the end of the program, the skip backward and forward functions stop working properly - that is, if I am near the end of the show and want to skip back 5 seconds, it doesn't work (while it does work, when at the beginning of a program). Is there somewhere in the metadata that the original length is used in calculating how how much to move back or something - and could this have anything to do with the system using up the HDD resources from time to time as it is performing some sort of mathematical operation using these two numbers? Is there any way to write to the file metadata the new length so that the forward/backward skipping issue works properly throughout the show - and then we can see if the other problem is resolved?
Oct 31, 2014 at 7:07 PM
Upload the file that "freezes" to the mcebuddy server (if it's too large break into a chunk using the file splitter included on the mcebuddy server and upload only the FIRST chunk).
Oct 31, 2014 at 7:12 PM
I uploaded this on 10/20. The directory name is MCEBuddy Freezes. Thanks for investigating.
Oct 31, 2014 at 7:24 PM
I checked that but it doesn't playback in WMC or have any metadata. Are you sure it's the first chunk? Try renaming it to .wtv and see if it plays. If it's the first chunk it'll play. Otherwise just go ahead and upload the whole video.