This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Rename / Move Only: How to Add Metadata to Files?

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Edited Oct 26, 2014 at 12:22 AM
I have been using MCEBuddy for a while with recorded TV, but I also have a collection of H.264 M4V files that have been manually converted with Handbrake from my Blu-Ray collection. Currently, these files have no embedded metadata, and they are all in a single flat folder.

I'd like to use MCEBuddy (2.3.15) to move / rename the files so that they are in a Media Center compatible folder structure (so that each is in its own containing folder). And I'd like to add matched metadata to the files at the same time.

It is quite easy to do the rename/move with MCEBuddy using custom file naming and skip conversion settings. The problem is, I can't figure out how to get MCEBuddy to write the downloaded/matched metadata to the file in its new location. It appears to skip writing metadata directly to the file unless an actual conversion is being performed.

I can verify that the correct metadata is being found (in most cases) if I enable the save metadata / NFO file option. But what I want is for the metadata to be written directly to the .M4V files...

Is there a way to do this without doing a complete recode of the file? I've searched the discussion forums and I can't seem to find a directly relevant post.

Thanks in advance.
Coordinator
Oct 26, 2014 at 4:08 AM
Rename only will not write metadata, by design it would be conflict since it's only renaming and not modifying anything.

However to achieve what you want, it's pretty simple, try the profile below (open profiles.conf and add this at the end and then select this profile on your conversion task).
[M4V Metadata]
Description=Use this to copy the H.264 WTV/DVRMS files to M4V format and to remove commercials from your videos. It does not remove black bars, resize the video, deinterlace or select audio language. Use this if you have HD recordings which don't need processing and need to update metadata in them.
order=copy,ffmpeg
copy-ext=.ts
copy-remuxto=.m4v
copy-audiodelay=skip
ffmpeg-general=-threads 0
ffmpeg-video=-vcodec copy -map 0:a -map 0:v
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec copy
ffmpeg-audioac3=-acodec copy
ffmpeg-ext=.m4v
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
FixedResolution=true
SkipCropping=true
Essentially you are using the Copy converter (it does nothing but creates a copy of the remuxed file) and then remuxing it back to M4V format. It's all remuxing only and no recoding so you preserve the original quality but since it's being "converted" it will also write the metadata when you select that option. The backup is ffmpeg, it also just remuxes the file to m4v.

This should work for you. If not post back with the link to the conversion log. (make sure you turn off rename only). Also ensure you are using the latest 2.4.1 build otherwise it'll be impossible to debug this.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/28/2014 at 12:06 AM
Oct 26, 2014 at 5:07 AM
Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated. I will try this and let you know if I run into an issue.