This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

2.4b1: huge delay downloading metadata from Internet; XMLTV support?

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:19 PM
Hello, I am part of the Early Access Premium program and had some observations on obtaining metadata for TV shows.

Issue #1: While MCEBuddy supports extracting metadata from WTV, DVRMS, XML, SageTV, ArgusTV, and TIVO, I don't see support for the XMLTV format that mc2xml uses. I've uploaded an example (see below), is it possible to add support for that?

Issue #2: When local metadata can't be found, MCEBuddy tries to grab metadata from the Internet, and there is a huge delay (note the 34-minute delay when checking the TMDB source below):
INFORMATION> 2014-11-05T13:18:35 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking TheTVDB
WARNING> 2014-11-05T13:18:36 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> TheTVDB failed
INFORMATION> 2014-11-05T13:18:36 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking TV.com
INFORMATION> 2014-11-05T13:18:41 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking IMDB
WARNING> 2014-11-05T13:22:01 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> IMDBApi failed
INFORMATION> 2014-11-05T13:22:01 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking TMDB.com
WARNING> 2014-11-05T13:56:12 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> TMDB.com failed
BTW, I'm running Windows Server 2012, but I've followed the instructions to register the Media Center DLLs from a Win7 install, and I have Windows Media Foundation feature installed.

I've uploaded the mcebuddy logs that show the delay, as well as the mc2xml XMLTV file which has the TV Guide data for that program to, it's under the dmorse2112 folder on files.mcebuddy2x.com.

Thanks,
David
Nov 6, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Issue 1. As far as downloading time from the internet, that's outside MCE's control the website may be unresponsive, your connection may be slow. In our test it typically takes less than 60 seconds to complete all downloads (sometimes even less than 10 seconds).
If you're facing an issue, disable downloading metadata from the internet.

Issue 2. As for reading the additional XML metadata is not an issue we can add if we have the specs.

From the file you uploaded it looks like a program guide and metadata for a specific file. We will need to get the metadata for the particular recording/video being processsed. I don't see any way to corelate the file to the program guide. If you have any ideas let us know and we'll look into it.
Nov 6, 2014 at 12:45 AM
In your log file I see no initial metadata expect for title, that's no enough metadata for a series download you need at 2 pieces, title and subtitle or title and original air date.
You're better disabling downloading metadata from the internet until you find a way to get additional metadata from your xml files.
Title: Live! With Kelly and Michael
SubTitle:
Description:
Network:
Parental Rating:
Media Credits:
Genres: Season: 0
Episode: 0
Banner:
Banner URL:
IMDB Id:
MovieDB Id:
TVDB Id:
Is Show Movie: False
Is Show Sports: False
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2014-11-05T00:00:00
RecordedDateTime: 1899-12-31T18:00:00
SeriesPremiereDate: 1899-12-31T18:00:00
CopyProtected: False
SageTV FileID:
SageTV MediaFileID:
Nov 6, 2014 at 12:50 AM
Ignore my comment, you have 2 pieces, original broadcast and title.

In your case TVdb does not have this series but imdb does. however the title it different and that's why it can't match it. The title used on the website is
Live with Kelly and Michael
You may want to use the metadata title correction option in expert settings to change the title to the above and then it should start matching it.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 11/5/2014 at 4:50 PM
Nov 6, 2014 at 2:42 AM
rboy1 wrote:
Issue 2. As for reading the additional XML metadata is not an issue we can add if we have the specs.

From the file you uploaded it looks like a program guide and metadata for a specific file. We will need to get the metadata for the particular recording/video being processsed. I don't see any way to corelate the file to the program guide. If you have any ideas let us know and we'll look into it.
rboy1, thanks for your replies; very helpful.

For this show, the metadata title correction would work.

In general, adding a feature to MCEBuddy to parse metadata from local mc2xml/XMLTV EPGs would be great.

The XMLTV spec is documented here:
http://xmltv.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xmltv/xmltv/xmltv.dtd

Here's a brief description of mc2xml from http://mc2xml.hosterbox.net
mc2xml is a small and fast standalone command line program for Windows/Linux/OSX that downloads media center, titantv, or schedules direct tv listings and outputs an XMLTV formatted (xmltv.dtd) .xml file.
If it would help to upload some sample XML files from MC, TitanTV, or Schedules Direct, I'd be glad to.
Nov 6, 2014 at 5:35 AM
Most definitely will help to test it out. As many different types (movies, shows, serials, tv, docuumentaties)
Nov 7, 2014 at 6:58 AM
I don't understand this is an EPG. How does one corelate the EPG to a specific recording?
Nov 7, 2014 at 2:24 PM
rboy1 wrote:
I don't understand this is an EPG. How does one corelate the EPG to a specific recording?
NextPVR, MediaPortal, etc. use this EPG XML to determine dates/times of the programs. NextPVR uses that for filename creation:
http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Configuration.EPGMC2XML

Here's an example of a recording from last night.

Guide data from the XML:
<programme start="20141106210000 -0600" stop="20141106220000 -0600" channel="I42.28456503.microsoft.com">
    <title lang="en">Elementary</title>
    <sub-title lang="en">The Five Orange Pipz</sub-title>
    <desc lang="en">Sherlock's new apprentice, Kitty, becomes jealous of Watson and Sherlock's rapport, threatening their investigation of a double homicide.</desc>
NextPVR recorded this show with the filename Elementary_20141106_21002200.ts, which MCEBuddy then takes as an input.

Hope that helps?
Nov 7, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Does this file xmltv.xml always lie in the same folder as the recorded video?
Also this is format constant - start="20141106210000 -0600"? I find the space in between a little suspicious and in the specs I found this start="200006031633"
Nov 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM
rboy1 wrote:
Does this file xmltv.xml always lie in the same folder as the recorded video?
No, it's not there; it's typically where the user installs mc2xml (which could be anywhere the user chooses).
Also this is format constant - start="20141106210000 -0600"? I find the space in between a little suspicious and in the specs I found this start="200006031633"
Not sure...I can get you more examples...
Nov 7, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Unfortunately that won't help. It needs to be in the same directory as the source otherwise MCEBuddy won't know where to find it.