This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Comskip or Showanalyzer?

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM
I was wondering which one is more accurate? Sometimes comskip eats parts of the episode.
Coordinator
Nov 12, 2014 at 8:58 PM
It comes down to country and channels and configuration. On the MCE Server in the shared information folder (and on this website as a Sticky Thread) are some custom comskip.ini's uploaded by folks for specific channels and countries. Honestly both are good, it comes down to configuration on both sides. However comskip is customizable for each conversion profile, showanalyzer has only one profile.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 12/2/2014 at 10:14 PM
Nov 12, 2014 at 9:06 PM
Oh okay. I'm in the US and the recording of SHIELD showed 36 minutes with comskip. I reprocessed it with show analyzer and it was 44 mins.
Nov 12, 2014 at 10:22 PM
I'm also in the U.S (west coast). When I use comskip I run the frequent risk of it lopping off the crucial end of programs in particular. Thank goodness I have a non-destructive profile that skips the commercials during viewing rather than excising them permanently, because several times I've had to delete the .EDL and .XML files in order to be able to watch the end of a program that comskip had decided I didn't need to watch. Is ShowAnalyzer any better? I'd sure like a comskip config that could put an end to that, but last time I looked for such I found nothing that helped.
Nov 13, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Edited Nov 13, 2014 at 3:31 PM
There is an option in Comskip to keep as many minutes you want at the end of a recording. So if you want the last 5 minutes not to be marked as a commercial you simply add to the ini.

always_keep_last_seconds=300
Nov 13, 2014 at 6:01 PM
That's obviously a kludge for the absence of better detection, but nonetheless I've just added it. Thanks for mentioning it.