This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

AMD processor

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:30 AM
I have an AMD Phenom II X4 running at 3.4 GHz with 4 GB of ram and my graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 5700 series with a GPU clock of 850 MHz. I love MCEBuddy and it is doing a fantastic job but encoding from *.wtv files to high quality MP4 is taking a very long time. For a 2 hour recording it is taking something like 6 hours. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? I saw hardware encoding possibilities, but it looks like that might not help me. Do I need to upgrade my system?
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2014 at 10:07 PM
First you don't need to use High Quality MP4, Normal is good enough in most cases, unless your source video is bad quality you won't see much difference but it'll take 2-3 times as long as Normal).
Second make sure you're using 2.4.1 there are many optimizations that have been made which improve quality and reduce processing time significantly depending upon the quality of your original video. (make sure Optimize video quality option is enabled in the conversion task settings).

Post back with your results once you've done the above to see what else can be optimized.
Nov 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Thanks very much for the reply. I was not using 2.4.1 but am now. I have used the normal quality and could tell that it wasn’t perfect. I have been recording sports and slight quality shortcomings are more easily seen. I have left the quality settings as they were. The box to optimize video quality is ticked.
The time is still a couple of hours of conversion per hour of actual video. My 4 cores are at 100%.

I tried to simply reply to the e-mail and was declined. Sorry for the delay in reply. I just found it.
Coordinator
Nov 22, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Edited Nov 22, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Yeah this forum has been having issues with email replies, send a mail to kevin.david@microsoft.com with your issue and request him to put out a fix for it. I've been asking for a while now but it helps to have more folks put in their 2 cents.

There's always a tradeoff between quality and time.You can increase the quality by increasing the Max resolution and Quality sliders but at the expense of time.

My suggestion would be:
  • MP4 Normal Profile
  • Max Resolution set all the way to the right
  • Quality set to plus 30%
  • Automatically detect video quality checked
This should give you a good balance between the quality and time
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 12/1/2014 at 3:26 PM
Nov 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Many thanks for the reply. If my hardware was different would the time be different? In other words, what would be an ideal configuration that would enable a significant decrease in encoding time via hardware with results of 10x better? Is there such a configuration?

Andrew
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2014 at 1:13 AM
that's a very subjective question. I know there you're coming from and unfortunatley I cannot give a definite answer. If you spend enough time tweaking the hardware parameters I don't see why you can get a very good quality 1 pass conversion with the time benefits.
Nov 23, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Thanks. The only reason I asked such an "open" question because after reading through some of the information there appeared to be specific hardware like an intel processor and certain graphics cards that would do the conversion in hardware. It seemed as though I was lacking in both. Would a new intel i7 processor make a huge difference to the conversion time, for example?
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Depends upon your definitions of huge. It's relative. There is a thread on performance and quality of various hardware chipsets. Check it out.
Dec 1, 2014 at 8:22 PM
theaddies

If it will help I am running an AMD Phenom 9950 quad core 2.6GHz with 4Gb memory and I am using a an-board Nvidia GeForce 8200.

I'm converting standard definition WTVs to DIVX using H/W encoding (same as MP4 but a different container) with MCEBuddy, a one hour programme, BBC Nature programmes are usually the highest quality, takes about 17 minutes on my system.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 12/1/2014 at 3:25 PM