This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Audio Sync Issue

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:25 PM
I love MCEBuddy 2.3 and have used it for a while - but I never used the Commercial Skip feature. I've tried both Comskip and ShowAnalyzer and it seems to me that the audio sync goes off after the first cut - and gets worse with each additional cut.

The original files are recording in MCE (wtv) and I've had the same sync issue when I convert to any number of formats - mp4, avi (xvid), fast, slow, it doesn't matter.

Any ideas on how to solve this or things I could try?
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2014 at 2:21 AM
The issue has been fixed with the newer builds, upgrade to it. Also there are parameters now provided in System Settings to fine tune and tweak the commercial cut audio offset issue.
Nov 23, 2014 at 2:44 AM
OK - just donated so I could get 2.4

Waiting for the codes...thanks
Nov 23, 2014 at 7:24 AM
So I uninstalled 2.3.12 and installed 2.4. Got the error message that the it couldn't start. Checked services - it was started there. Stopped and restarted it. Still didn't work. Rebooted. Didn't work.

Uninstalled 2.4 and installed 2.3.15. That works fine. Recorded a program, ran the conversion, still synching is off.

Let me know what tweaks may work....or if you have an idea about why 2.4 isn't working for me (I'm using Win 7, 64 bit)
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2014 at 1:59 PM
Uninstall 2.3.15 and install 2.4.1 it should work. 2.3.12 was a buggy uninstalled. It needs a double uninstall.
Otherwise try a clean install, see documentation installation issues for instructions.

There shouldn't be any audio sync issues with 2.4.1. If there is please upload the conversion log and the original wtv file to the server to analyze.
Nov 23, 2014 at 11:09 PM
OK, partial success - I uninstalled 2.3.15, rebooted, and was able to install 2.4.1.

However, still having sync issues. As before, it starts off fine, but the audio gets out of synch more and more after each commercial cut.

Is there something I should try before uploading to you? And, if you want me to upload, what files would you like? I have the original wtv and the editted version. Where is the conversion log?

Thanks
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM
Just the conversion log and the originla WTV file, create a folder in hte upload directory of the server, upload and post back here when done.

On the MCEBuddy GUI screen click on logs, top right corner, get the right conversion log
Nov 23, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Unfortunately, when I click on the Logs link, nothing happens - no window opens. Yet, the links for Show History and Events both work. VERY strange. Is there a location I can find the logs? I'm trying to record and convert something new to see if I get anything to show up with Logs.
Nov 24, 2014 at 2:25 AM
OK, by recording a second program and converting it triggered the Logs link. I am currently FTPing the two programs and the logs....logs first and then the programs. It will take a while. They're in the subfolder DWSpiro
Nov 25, 2014 at 5:48 AM
ok, both shows are uploaded, I can send something else from today if you want
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2014 at 11:35 PM
I specifically asked for the original WTV, can't do much with the converted file. I need to replicate the issue to see what's going on. The logs look clean. It may be something with the profile and source combo but I need the original file. just ONE WTV file should be enough to replicate the issue.
Nov 27, 2014 at 12:24 AM
Sorry - I uploaded the WTV files last night.....
Dec 2, 2014 at 2:33 AM
Just checking in to see if you've had a chance to look at the files. I know the holiday was busy, but I didn't want this to fall through the cracks....
Coordinator
Dec 3, 2014 at 6:08 AM
Investigating this, in the meanwhile try some other proifles like MP4 or MKV instead of DiVX. The DivX codec appears to have some issues while converting your samples video which we are looking into.

Also curious, divx is a very old codec, why are you using the divx profile?
Dec 3, 2014 at 6:15 AM
I like DIVX because I have stand-alone units that play DIVX dvds, so it's easy to use them anywhere.

It doesn't seem to be a DIVX issue - I was getting the same sync problem with MP4......but I can try again
Coordinator
Dec 3, 2014 at 11:50 PM
It works fine if I change the container from AVI to MP4. It's a container issue with ffmpeg.

For now, open your profile and change the line
ffmpeg-ext=.avi
to
ffmpeg-ext=.mp4
and it should work fine. It'll just change the container type but the video itself will still be in divx format.
Dec 4, 2014 at 12:37 AM
Cool - I'll try it tonight and report on the progress...
Dec 4, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Actually, I already have an update - when you asked last night about encoding in DIVX vs. MP4, I set today's recording to convert into both formats. The MP4 is MUCH more in sync. Still slightly off, but a lot better. I'm going to try one tonight with the config tweak and will report my results....
Dec 4, 2014 at 3:02 AM
Question - after all the conversion and everything, should I change the extension back to .avi? I have a feeling my standalone unit will only read files with the avi extension.....or maybe it's smarter than I think.
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2014 at 4:41 AM
I would suggest try the divx in mp4 container. Renaming may or may not work because the an Avi container format is different from a mp4. Some devices ignore the extension and try to detect the container and codec. Others look for compliance.
Dec 4, 2014 at 9:16 AM
So, just to keep you in the loop - I re-encoded two shows from wtv with the changes in the profile. I then made a copy of the MP4 file and just changed the extension from MP4 to AVI. As pretty much predicted, neither file played on my standalone.

Barring any new information or inspiration, it just seems like you cannot use this to edit commercials and output as DIVX.

If you come up with any other plausible ideas, do let me know.
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Try changing the extension in the divx profile to .mpg and also remove the -f avi from the video line.
Dec 4, 2014 at 11:56 PM
On the positive side, the commercial editing and synching seems to be fine.

On the negative side, the MPG idea didn't work - still can't play DIVX files with that extension on my stand-alone unit.

I'm thinking that means if it doesn't have an AVI extension, it's not recognizing it.

If we've hit a dead end, I'd likely go back to MP4 - once that became the standard for online swapping, it's what most of the vids on my computer are in. Just kinda annoying to not be able to use DIVX....unless you have any other ideas I should try.
Coordinator
Dec 7, 2014 at 5:01 AM
Edited Dec 7, 2014 at 5:02 AM
SOLVED IT. Ignore the above stuff.

Go back to your original profile (if you don't have it, uninstall and reinstall MCEBuddy).

Then open your DIVX profile (Normal, Fast, whichever)

In the ffmpeg-video line add this to the end of the line
-async 1
Don't forget to add a space before the -async 1
That's it, it'll solve your audio sync issue. Tested it on your sample video and it works fine
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 12/6/2014 at 9:01 PM
Dec 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM
I also have this issue with the latest beta version, regardless of video conversion type. I'm currently using mp4 high quality and it's still an issue. I haven't tried the -async mentioned above. Would that work for the mp4 conversions as well?

I am in the process of uploading the original, converted, and log files to the directory /facted on the upload server.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Dec 7, 2014 at 3:23 PM
the -async 1 will work for any ffmpeg based profile. It helps with audio drift in some cases.
Dec 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Sync seems a bit better, I think. However, some of my files are being given the hearing impaired audio stream all of a sudden. This has been happening for a week or two. Any ideas on this? I read in the FAQ about selecting a certain stream for every profile, but why has this changed suddenly?