This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MCEBuddy 2.4B1 BSOD

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:40 PM
I am getting BSODs, but only if MCE Buddy is running. The computer is only used for recording and converting and while I haven't found a pattern of the cause, it did not have a single BSDO when I stopped MCEBuddy right before going on vacation for a week, but the longest I have seen when MCEBuddy is running is 3 days without a BSOD. I cannot cause the BSOD and have not found any pattern to it. The BSOD has a few different errors pop up, but the most common is registry_error.

I get the BSODs with and without commercial skipping enabled. I have set a 3 hour delay so that it shouldn't be converting while also recording. BSOD time is typically in the early morning hours when MCEBuddy should be working.

Is there any other information I can provide, or anything I can do to resolve this? I have searched and have not found anything.

W7 Ultimate x64
AMD FX-8120 8-core CPU
16GB RAM
Video drive is a pair of 1TB drives in RAID1 config
Coordinator
Dec 7, 2014 at 5:17 PM
You have a buggy driver. This has been discussed multiple times on the forum, search the threads for crash or bsod. MCEBuddy CANNOT cause a crash since it runs in .NET code protected space. BSOD's are ONLY caused by drivers. MCEBuddy stresses the system (network, video, hard disk, cpu) which can lead to BSOD's with buggy drivers.

If you're using hardware encoding (quicksync) it's likely your intel graphics driver. If not, it could be your network driver or your chispet/raid driver. You will need to use a program like WinDBG to analyze your crash dump and it'll tell you which driver caused the crash.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 12/7/2014 at 10:17 AM
Dec 8, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Thanks, I didn't realize there was a different forum I needed to look at and the search here did not show any results for BSOD.

I have an NVIDIA graphics card and I have turned off the hardware encoding and so far the system has not BSOD'd, so hopefully that's all I needed to do. I did a full system format trying to resolve this and made sure I had the most recent drivers for everything but no luck. I even swapped video and network cards at one point.
Coordinator
Dec 8, 2014 at 12:14 PM
http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/547263

Instead of guessing I would just upload your minidump file to this website and it'll tell you which driver caused the crash:
http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

Goto C:\Windows\MiniDump
You'll find the crash dump files there, take the latest one (You will need to right click, select properties, Security -> Change ownership to yourself otherwise it won't let you access it) and upload it to the above link and you'll have your answer.
Dec 8, 2014 at 12:26 PM
I've run a few of the minidumps through there before and get a few different results.

I had also noticed that some converted video files were glitch with bad sections that would sometimes abort playback but could be skipped over and would also crash ffmpeg when I tried to create progress thumbnails, though I'm sure it was the same root cause.

I'll see how it does, and if I still have dumps I'll figure out something else. Thanks for your responses.
Dec 30, 2014 at 1:10 PM
rboy1, thanks for all the help. Turning off the hardware encoding has done great, it's been more than a month since the last BSOD.