This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Losing Sync with CCs after commercial cutting and hard burning CC's

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Now that we solved the DVIX issue, I have a different one to tackle - actually, it's one you helped me with a long time ago.

I record some shows on Telemundo where they broadcast the English closed captions on Channel 2, Field 1. It starts off fine, but with each commercial eliminated, the CCs get more out of sync.

Way back when, you had go into Expert Settings and change the offet to 3.1 (I think). That didn't solve the problem. Any ideas?

Also, what I'm currently doing is running your program and coming out with the converted video and an SRT file, and then using another program to put in hard CCs.....is there a step I could do so the hard CCs are being done by your program?

Thanks, in advance....
Dec 11, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2014 at 5:29 PM
You can get the subtitles back in sync using the CC/subtitle Segment Offset in System Settings.
The Subtitle Offset (Expert Settings) is a one time correction where as the CC Segment Offset is a progressive correction after each commercial cut (which is what you're facing).

See more details here:
https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/540742

As of burning Subtitles into the video that is possible if you're using a ffmpeg or handbrake based profile for now (handbrake support may come in future). Add this to your profile to burn the subtitles into your video:
SubtitleBurn=true
You can get more details about it here:
http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/483748
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 12/11/2014 at 8:39 AM
Dec 12, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Thanks for your help. I burned the subtitles in without a problem.

They are still not synching well. I followed what the other user did - the 2.5 subtitle offset and the -0.5 subtitle commercial cut sync.

Now, it seems like the subtitles are about 4 second ahead of the video from the very beginning and creep up to about 6.5 seconds ahead by the end of a one hour show. So there is definitely less drifting as the segments go on.

Not not exactly sure how these are working together, but if you have suggestions that would be great. I'm trying some trial and error, but running each blind test takes just over and hour so trying to tighten up that gap ;-)
Dec 13, 2014 at 1:16 AM
Edited Dec 13, 2014 at 1:17 AM
You're on the right track and will need to play with the numbers. Here's how to start tweaking it:

If you beginning subtitles are 4 seconds ahead than I would subtract 4 from the current subtitle offset, i.e. 2.5 - 4 = -1.5 (this will adjust the starting of the subtitles, one time adjustment)

Now your subtitles are slowing down each time the commercial is cut, so you will need to increase the subtitle commercial cut sync. First find out how many commercials segments are being cut out (open the conversion log and look for parsing EDL or merging segments - there it'll give you the final number of segments that are cut out, remember MCEBuddy will ignore very small segment cuts (under 20 seconds) so pay attention to which ones MCEBuddy is keeping and which ones it's ignoring, count the keeps).
Now say there are 4 commercial segments being cut out, then you need to divide (4 + 6.5) = 10.5/6 = 1.75 (4 + 6,5 because they are in the opposite direction, i.e. it starts out with 4 second ahead and ends up 6.5 second behind, total draft if 10.5 seconds).
Now take the current segment offset (-0.5) and adjust it forward by 1.75 i.e. -0.5 + 1.75 = 1.25

Try that and it should start getting very close. If it got worse then just reverse the numbers in the calculations, ie
subtitle offset = 2.5 + 4 = 6.5
segment offset = -0.5 + (-4 + 6.5)/6 = -0.1

ALWAYS start with getting the subtitle segment offset correct (i.e. the initial sync should be perfect), then work on the segment offset (correction after each commercial) cut. Don't do both together as you'll have a tough time tweaking the numbers.

Hope this helps.
Dec 22, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Please note that ffmpeg-SubtitleBurn is no longer valid starting 2.4.1 instead please use:
SubtitleBurn=true
This is applicable for profiles based on ffmpeg and handbrake. FFmpeg and handbrake now support burning subtitles into the video effective 2.4.1