This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Custom Cuts usage

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Not sure if I'm using custom cuts correctly.

I open the video file cut out portions of the video in the beginning and end. I also cut out the commercials at the points I want. Click save to save the EDI file, then process in MCEBuddy.

I still have Comskip enabled (seems if I don't) nothing gets cut. However, my cut points aren't gettig used. I still get portions of the commercials in my converted file, portions that are with in my custom cut points.

Any help that can be offered is appreciated.

Regards.
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2014 at 2:22 AM
How much of it is getting cut? First 5 seconds to so?
Dec 15, 2014 at 3:00 AM
The beginning of the video is perfect. I've already removed the -ss 5, -ss 3, and --start from the config files.

What I'm seeing is a short section (couple of frames) of the commercial that is in the middle of my cut points. Also a second or two at the end of the video, also in the cut point.
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2014 at 5:16 AM
So you've covered the basics :)

Since you're talking about frames, this is probably related to GOP boundaries and keyframes, MCEBuddy only cuts videos at a keyframe, so you may see a few frames difference between the selected frame and the actual cut frame. This can't be avoided as if you cut midway through a GOP you won't get a picture and will only see artifacts (you need atleast one I frame to get a start of a picture). Typically each GPO would contain about 10-13 frames of which 1 would be an i frame. If you ended half way through a GOP on your EDL marker, it'lll pick up the next i frame which may be 5-6 frames further than your selected frame. Hope this helps.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 12/16/2014 at 5:52 AM
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2014 at 5:17 AM
Also BTW MCEBuddy won't cut anything less than 25 seconds of video (due to issues related to ffmpeg and avidemux limitations).