This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Rename now, convert later

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:56 PM
First, thanks for this program, it solves lots of problems.

I have searched for an answer to my question in the documentation and in this forum. Please forgive me if an answer exists that I have not found.

As stated by another user, I would like to decouple the "renaming" task from the "conversion" task.

I have two WMC machines, and they share content on a network drive. I use the renaming task to create names that PLEX can understand, such that either machine can record videos and place them in a common pool that both WMC machines can use and PLEX can also see.

The problem is that I would like to do the rename / move task as the recordings are created, then at 1:00am convert all the moved files. The conversion task crushes my PC and makes it run slowly.

An answer to a similar question suggested scheduling and chaining, but wouldn't this simply move both tasks to 1:00am?

It would seem a "run at" time as an input to as job would fix this. The rename job could run immediately and queue the conversion job at a specific time.

Any trick that can be used, or plans to implement this in a future release?
Coordinator
Dec 30, 2014 at 2:08 PM
No way to do this now, but can be looked at for future releases. It's a little complicated with the current architecture but will see what can be done.
Coordinator
Dec 30, 2014 at 2:08 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Dec 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Thanks, I'd be happy to be a beta tester if you like.

And thanks for the prompt reply.