This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Help with a profile

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:45 AM
I use SageTV to record shows and Plex for playback. I am trying to get all of my videos in a format that will utilize direct play to avoid Plex's transcoding on the fly. I have converted all my movies using handbrake and have a profile set that has worked perfect for dvd movie rips...but am having issues getting a matching profile in MCEBuddy. Below is my handbrakecli string...can anyone help me convert this to a MCEBuddy Profile?

Thanks in advance!
Dan

CLI Query: -i "Z:\KidsDVD\DOLPHIN_TALE_2\VIDEO_TS" -t 1 --angle 1 -c 1-12 -o "Z:\KidsDVD\DOLPHIN_TALE_2\Dolphin Tale 2.mp4" -f mp4 -O --crop 0:0:0:0 --strict-anamorphic --modulus 2 -e x264 -q 20 --cfr -a 1,1 -E av_aac,copy:ac3 -6 stereo,none -R Auto,Auto -B 160,0 -D 0,0 --gain 0,0 --audio-fallback ac3 --markers="C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\Dolphin Tale 2-1-chapters.csv" -x level=4.1:vbv-bufsize=78125:vbv-maxrate=62500:b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50:direct=auto --verbose=1
Coordinator
Jan 10, 2015 at 1:00 AM
This command is for ripping DVD's, MCEBuddy unfortunately can't rip DVD's given the dVD structure which needs to be decoded. It can only work in individual files for now. You should get a DVD ripper program which rips the DVD into a single file and then feed that to MCEBuddy.
Jan 10, 2015 at 11:51 AM
Edited Jan 10, 2015 at 12:00 PM
rboy1, I understand and I have already successfully ripped my DVD's using the handbrake parameters in my first post. The file that results from my DVD rip and then handbrake conversion works perfectly on all of my devices with plex. I use MCEBuddy to monitor my SageTV recording directory (MPEG2 files) and was wondering how hard it would be to take the values from my handbrakecli that I use on DVDs and make an MCEBuddy profile so the resulting file is the same as my DVD conversions from handbrake. I think the issue I have with the stock profiles is the audio...it seems like they have either 2 channel stereo or 5.1 and not both...or if they have both, they are in a format that requires Plex to transcode them, which is what I am trying to avoid. When I run my handbrakecli parameters...I get a file with What I like about my DVD handbrake parameters is that I get a file with the first audio stream in 160 Kbps 2 channel AAC audio and a second audio stream in 448 Kbps 6 channel AC-3. So I end up with a file that plays stereo on all the devices that need that...but can be played on my home theater and get 5.1 when I need it. I also want to point out that I provided the handbrakecli parameters for reference and understand that there are some things in that listing that don't apply to an MPEG2 conversion, such as chapter creation...I am just trying to get a file with similar audio and video parameters. Also for reference I am attaching a MediaInfo .xml file of the DVD conversion.

Here is the link to the .xml file:

Dropbox link to xml file
Coordinator
Jan 10, 2015 at 2:32 PM
If you know it's the audio then try these lines in your profile (taken from your CLI above)
handbrake-audio=-E av_aac,copy:ac3 -6 stereo,none -R Auto,Auto -B 160,0 -D 0,0 --gain 0,0 --audio-fallback ac3 -a 1,1
handbrake-audioac3=-E av_aac,copy:ac3 -6 stereo,none -R Auto,Auto -B 160,0 -D 0,0 --gain 0,0 --audio-fallback ac3 -a 1,1
Based on your line above this is what the "core" of your handbrake profile would look like:
order=handbrake
handbrake-audio=-E av_aac,copy:ac3 -6 stereo,none -R Auto,Auto -B 160,0 -D 0,0 --gain 0,0 --audio-fallback ac3 -a 1,1
handbrake-audioac3=-E av_aac,copy:ac3 -6 stereo,none -R Auto,Auto -B 160,0 -D 0,0 --gain 0,0 --audio-fallback ac3 -a 1,1
handbrake-general=-f mp4 -O --crop 0:0:0:0 --strict-anamorphic --modulus 2
handbrake-video=-e x264 -q 20 --cfr -x level=4.1:vbv-bufsize=78125:vbv-maxrate=62500:b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50:direct=auto
handbrake-ext=.mp4
handbrake-audiodelay=skip
PreConversionCommercialRemover=true
FixedResolution=true
handbrake-AudioOptimized=true
handbrake-VideoOptimized=true
You haven't mentioned what MCEBuddy profile you're using.
Jan 12, 2015 at 12:14 PM
Rboy1,

Thanks for the suggested profile. At first, I edited the profile.conf file and added a new profile with the complete profile you suggested. I ran this on a test file a two hour TV show in MPEG2 - original file as 12GB or so...and ended up with an 8GB file and had some audio sync issues. I then modified your standard MP4 profile with just the two audio lines and ended up with a 1.2GB file, audio was in sync and it played on all of my devices without Plex transcoding them. I feel like the resulting file was a little soft for lack of a better descriptor, so maybe I need to tweak it a little bit. So it looks like I am real close.

Dan
Jan 21, 2015 at 2:26 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2015 at 12:13 PM
So, something is still not right. I thought I have the MP4 Normal Profile working with the two added audio lines...but it ends up not working on all of my devices (Roku XD and Roku 2XS). So I went back to Handbrake and converted a MPEG2 file from SageTV to an mp4 and it works perfectly on all of my devices. Here is the handbrakecli.exe query for this file:

CLI Query: -i "\tower\SageTV\Glee-S06E03-JaggedLittleTapestry-6849071-0.mpg" -t 1 --angle 1 -c 1 -o "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Glee S06E03.mp4" -f mp4 -O --decomb="fast" -w 1280 -l 720 --crop 0:0:0:0 --modulus 2 -e x264 -q 20 -r 29.97 --cfr -a 1,1 -E av_aac,copy:ac3 -6 stereo,none -R Auto,Auto -B 160,0 -D 1.2,0 --gain 0,0 --audio-fallback ac3 --encoder-level="4.1" --encoder-profile=high --verbose=1

I tried reading through the documentation this time and came up with the following profile...but it does not work..I assume it is because of the audio section??? I am looking for stereo on the first track and then ac3 passthrough on the second....this allows me the flexibility of stereo on the main track so it plays nice with all of my devices, but have ac3 available if I want dolby digital when I play on my home theater. Any input on my other settings to make sure I have put them in the correct place would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

*Profile originally listed in the post was deleted as it was incorrect, see post below for a profile that works.
Jan 27, 2015 at 12:07 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2015 at 2:44 PM
In case anyone is following this thread, I spent some more time working on my profile and realize that I was missing the order=handbrake in my profile above (which I have deleted it in case someone stumbles upon this thread). Below is the profile I have now and the audio tracks are perfect...stereo AAC on track 1 and AC3 passthrough on track 2.

My only issue is that the resulting file size seems to be all over the place...sometimes a 42 minute TV show is 1.3GB and then another 42 minute show might be 2.5GB...so I might need to investigate that a little more.

Dan

Here is the profile:
[SageTV_All Roku]
order=handbrake
handbrake-general=-f mp4 -O --decomb="fast" --verbose=1
handbrake-video=--start-at duration:3 -e x264 -q 23 -r 29.97 --cfr --modulus 2 --encoder-level="4.1" --encoder-profile=high -x me=b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50:direct=auto
handbrake-audio=-a 1,1 -E av_aac,copy:ac3 -6 stereo,none -R Auto,Auto -B 160,0 -D 1.2,0 --gain 0,0 --audio-fallback ac3
handbrake-ext=.mp4
handbrake-audiodelay=skip
PreConversionCommercialRemover=true
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/27/2015 at 5:59 AM
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2015 at 12:59 PM
For reference, don't post the profile as text, enclose it in the code markup otherwise you may lose some characters while codeplex parses it.