This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Copying Tasks

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:05 PM
Is it possible to duplicate a task so you don't have to start from scratch each time you want to create a new one, just to add a show filter?
Coordinator
Jan 11, 2015 at 11:01 PM
No there's no direct was to copy tasks, this was done purposefully since tasks have options (dangerous options) which require user confirmation and also some options which may interfere with existing tasks (like monitor linking). These would lead to more issues if one copied them directly. Hopefully you don't need to create tasks too often so while I can understand the ask, we've tried to make it really easy and quick to use/configure.

However if you're doing a mass creation of tasks, you can always fall back on the manual option to modifying mcebuddy.conf yourself and creating new tasks by copying existing tasks and modifying the names. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! (I would only recommend this to the very experienced folks).
  1. Click Stop on the MCEBuddy GUI to stop the engine
  2. Open MCEBuddy.conf in the config directory in your text editor
  3. Find the task you want to duplicate/copy
  4. Copy the entire task section into a new section just below it (make sure you copy the whole section and only that section and paste it AFTER the section is complete BEFORE the next section starts)
  5. Change the name of the new pasted section with a UNIQUE name (within the [ ]). DO NOT use special characters, limit it to text and numbers only with spaces in between (not at the end or beginning) if required
  6. In the section [Engine] look for the line (the task names may be different based on your configuration)
Tasks=MP4 Normal,DivX Players
  1. At the end of the line, put the names of the new sections you've created in step 5 above (put a comma between each section name with NO spaces before or after the comma - the name should match EXACTLY as what you're mentioned in the section name including spaces.
  2. Save the file
  3. Click Start on MCEBuddy GUI to load the config file
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/11/2015 at 4:01 PM
Jan 12, 2015 at 2:13 AM
Thanks for the reply, it make sense why it might be a bad idea to make it too easy to copy tasks. I went ahead and did a manual creation, the second time around it's very quick.