This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

WTV to WTV/h.264 Color Issues

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:39 PM
I am using MCEBuddy 2.4 and am having color issues when converting Win 7 recorded WTV files to WTV/h.264 files with comskip.

I am using the built in "WTV" profile, and I only change the resolution setting to maximum. When my files are finished converting, they have a yellow/greenish tint to the video and all of the images are blurred.

Is this a known issue or does anyone have similar results? I can't find anything in MCEBuddy discussions or ffmpeg forums about people having a similar issue.

Thank you!
Coordinator
Jan 14, 2015 at 1:20 AM
Are you using hardware encoding? The only one time I came across this was when there was hardware encoding enabled the driver was messing up the colors. If so try updating the drivers or turning hardware encoding off.
Jan 16, 2015 at 10:11 PM
Thank you so much for the quick response.
I was using hardware encoding, however turning it off only produced worse results (this time blue tinted).
I have tried several files, and made sure they were all non-protected.
I updated my graphics driver (Intel HD Graphics 4000) straight from Intel, and retried hardware encoding, but with similar results.

Anything else that I could try come to mind? Thank you!
Coordinator
Jan 17, 2015 at 2:00 PM
Can you upload a copy of the ORIGINAL WTV file and the conversion log to our server for us to replicate/analyze. Unfortunately there's not much more I can do without actually looking at what's going on here.
Coordinator
Jan 18, 2015 at 2:12 PM
Hmm never seen this issue before, how about using the MP4 profile or try the wtv legacy profile?
Also you may want to consider using the WTV unprocessed profile since you already have wtv/h.264

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:35 AM
I wanted to mention I'm trying to do the exact same thing and having the same problem. Win 8.1 on Intel NUC, has well i5 processor with recommended Intel display drivers as listed in the forms. Converting to wtv format h.264 from mpeg2 wtv. Colors are way off. Tried with and without hardware encoding. 8fps on processor, 50fps with Intel hw encoding. Color streaking and weirdness both ways. Tried several different wtv files just to make sure.
Jan 19, 2015 at 3:42 PM
Edited Jan 19, 2015 at 3:43 PM
I had this problem .. I had to change this line ... handbrake-video=--start-at duration:3 -e x264 -q 22 to handbrake-video=--start-at duration:3 -e x264 -q 20 which is the handbrake default . Anything higher than 20 the quality was bad and the colors were bad.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/19/2015 at 9:24 AM
Coordinator
Jan 19, 2015 at 4:24 PM
Thanks for that @nyplayer, will update the profile also for the next release
Jan 20, 2015 at 11:09 PM
So I've been doing some testing on this --

With quality set to 20 and profile set to MP4 - Normal, CPU x264 Conversion works great.
With quality set to 20 and profile set to MP4 - Normal, Intel GPU HW Encoding, Conversion works great.
With quality set to 20 and profile set to WTV, Intel GPU HW Encoding (Or software), Colors are still way off.

I would appear that the remux process or something related to converting back to WTV is throwing the color process off considerably. But I'm not an expert in handbrake or this whole process. I can probably upload a unconverted and converted 256Meg WTV file to dropbox if it would help.

I'm sure most people just convert to .mp4 and are done with it. In my case, I want to reconvert to .wtv x264 to save space and also so my kodi clients pull the server wmc files as-recorded and in a de-interlaced state.

Hope this helps, I wish I knew what could be tweaked in the profile to make the remux to .WTV work correctly.

Brian
Jan 21, 2015 at 3:50 AM
I wanted to provide another testing update ---

If I use the WTV Legacy profile, everything works fine, although ffmpeg is being used instead of handbrake according to the log files.... And of course my file size is doubled after the conversion is done ;-), Hopefully this will be sorted out in the next release.
Coordinator
Jan 22, 2015 at 1:51 AM
yes please upload it. HAve you tried WTV Unprocessed?
Also edit the profile and change the order from handbrake,ffmpeg to ffmpeg,handbrake and see if that helps.

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:11 PM
Thanks bkvargyas and nyplayer for weighing in on the issue.
I just wanted to add that I did resort to the WTV Unprocessed, and it does work properly. However, like bkvargyas, I am hoping to get the WTV/h.264 working for the massive storage space improvements.

I apologize I have been unable to upload any test files. My new baby girl was born in the middle of this discussion, and I've been at a lack of time to be able to devote to this. I hope to be able to upload some test files and log files hopefully by next week, if someone else doesn't beat me to it!

Thanks again!
Feb 16, 2015 at 2:45 AM
I'm having the same problem as well. I have created a folder in UPLOAD called "WTV (MPEG2) to WTV (H.264)." I've included the original file, log file and the resulting file. Hope that it helps.
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2015 at 1:59 AM
try this, open the profile and change the order from handbrake to ffmpeg first. See that works?

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:34 PM
Thanks, that fixed the color issue for me. Only issue now is skipping ahead can be kind of "laggy" the scan ahead speed can only go to twice the speed and no video on XBOX360, which I believe I read are all FFmpeg issues.
Mar 21, 2015 at 11:46 PM
Any solution or workaround for this? I have the exact same issue as rx7guy on Xbox360.
Apr 24, 2015 at 12:47 AM
Edited Apr 24, 2015 at 12:48 AM
I too experienced the washed out color when using the WTV/H.264 profile with and without hardware encoding (Intel 4600). I did not try adjusting the settings for Handbrake or switching to ffmpeg yet though. I plan to try that this weekend. I can also confirm the issue with scan ahead being limited to twice the speed and the video being "laggy" when using the WTV Unprocessed profile.
Coordinator
Apr 24, 2015 at 5:49 PM
Are you using the latest 2.4.2 BETA build? The color issues should not exist with that build and the standard profiles.

May 1, 2015 at 2:32 PM
I'm running the stable release, 2.4.1. I will give the BETA build a try today and see how that works.