This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Conversion for Roku 3

Jan 17, 2015 at 3:55 PM
I record with Windows Media center and convert files to MP4 using the ROKU profile. Also to convert some existing movies that are in both AVI and MKV to MP4 to serve up using Plex to my Roku's. I would like to have MCEBuddy do all of the processing (which I do at night while sleeping) to convert to MP4, so that when I am watching using Plex it doesn't have to transcode. I just did this with a movie (and a recorded tv show) and fired it up on the Roku using plex. From Plex it tells me that the video is direct streaming, that's a good thing. The audio is transcoding though, it says Transcode (aac).

What do I need to change so that both the audio and video will direct stream?
Coordinator
Jan 18, 2015 at 2:14 PM
Use the Roku 3 profile instead of the Roku profile. (it uses ac3 instead of aac audio codec)

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 6/15/2015 at 11:00 AM
Jan 28, 2015 at 11:24 PM
Does the Roku 3 profile assume you are playing the files directly from the micro SD card slot on the Roku? Or via some other method (e.g. Plex)? Or does this Roku 3 profile work with both options (micro SD and Plex)?
May 21, 2015 at 6:42 PM
Edited May 21, 2015 at 6:44 PM
rboy1 wrote:
Use the Roku 3 profile instead of the Roku profile. (it uses ac3 instead of aac audio codec)
Is that the primary difference between the Roku 3 profile and, say, MP4 Normal? I am trying to figure out this weird thing where the transcoded-to-Roku-3 recordings are playing back fine everywhere BUT on the Media Center machine they were recorded and encoded on. (They do one of two things: either they don't play back at all if I play them through the MCE interface, or they play back without sound if I play them through Windows Media Player on that machine or streaming through the software on my NAS. I do have Shark007 installed; that may be entering into it although this would be the first time I have had ANY problem and the MP4 Normal profile works fine.)
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2015 at 6:00 PM
Likely an issue with your 3rd party codecs, we don't recommend them, they tend to break the default windows codecs which are pretty decent.