This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Movies not being recognized - Argus-TV backend

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:50 AM
Edited Jan 26, 2015 at 1:51 AM
I've had issues the last couple weeks with movies not being recognized as such.

My naming convention for files is:
%ismovie%<Movies\%Showname%\%Showname%,TV\%showname%\Season %season%\%showname% - S%season%##E%episode%## - %episodename%>

My setup:
MCEBuddy 2.4.2 beta (1/19/15)
Windows 8.1
Argus-TV backend, outputs .ARG metadata file for each recording
Guide Enhancer for Argus - provides season/episode numbers (if applicable) for the .arg files

My log file is here. My mcebuddy engine settings log file is here.

I set up a special testing conversion task to test the naming conventions and try different settings.

MCEBuddy is manually allowed through the Windows firewall (the only firewall running).
Jan 26, 2015 at 6:06 AM
That's because your Argus TV metadata file is telling MCEBuddy that the file isn't a movie:
Is Show Movie: False
Check your guide software and why it's not properly identifying movies. Alternatively if you can't fix/adjust the metadata you can force the type in the expert settings page but that may not be a long term solution.
Jan 27, 2015 at 2:37 AM
Edited Jan 27, 2015 at 2:38 AM
That's what has me confused as well, as this is what the metadata is giving:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Recording xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Actors>Diane Lane;John Malkovich;Dylan Walsh;Dylan Baker;Margo Martindale;Nelsan Ellis;Otto Thorwarth;Scott Glenn;Fred Thompson;AJ Michalka;Kevin Connolly;Eric Lange;James Cromwell;Drew Roy</Actors>
<Category>Movies</Category>
<ChannelDisplayName>CW</ChannelDisplayName>
<ChannelId>649395db-cf86-4ce4-b639-97e87c25004f</ChannelId>
<ChannelType>Television</ChannelType>
<Description>Penny Chenery (Diane Lane) takes over her ailing father's Thoroughbred farm and, together with trainer Lucien Laurin (John Malkovich), fosters a colt that wins horse racing's Triple Crown in 1973.</Description>
<Director>Randall Wallace</Director>
<EpisodeNumber xsi:nil="true" />
<EpisodeNumberDisplay />
<EpisodeNumberTotal xsi:nil="true" />
<EpisodePart xsi:nil="true" />
<EpisodePartTotal xsi:nil="true" />
<Id>6</Id>
<IsPartialRecording>false</IsPartialRecording>
<IsPartOfSeries>false</IsPartOfSeries>
<IsPremiere>false</IsPremiere>
<IsRepeat>false</IsRepeat>
<KeepUntilMode>UntilSpaceIsNeeded</KeepUntilMode>
<KeepUntilValue xsi:nil="true" />
<LastWatchedPosition>385</LastWatchedPosition>
<LastWatchedTime>2015-01-25T14:07:39</LastWatchedTime>
<IsFullyWatched>false</IsFullyWatched>
<FullyWatchedCount>0</FullyWatchedCount>
<ProgramStartTime>2015-01-25T12:00:00-08:00</ProgramStartTime>
<ProgramStopTime>2015-01-25T14:30:00-08:00</ProgramStopTime>
<ProgramStartTimeUtc>2015-01-25T20:00:00Z</ProgramStartTimeUtc>
<ProgramStopTimeUtc>2015-01-25T22:30:00Z</ProgramStopTimeUtc>
<Rating>PG</Rating>
<RecordingId>66f8000d-2d5e-48e7-95b9-12f6cc251068</RecordingId>
<RecordingStartTime>2015-01-25T11:58:02-08:00</RecordingStartTime>
<RecordingStopTime>2015-01-25T14:33:00.191-08:00</RecordingStopTime>
<RecordingStartTimeUtc>2015-01-25T19:58:02Z</RecordingStartTimeUtc>
<RecordingStopTimeUtc>2015-01-25T22:33:00.191Z</RecordingStopTimeUtc>
<ScheduleId>984f9a4e-976a-4e30-91c1-1c84607bf54e</ScheduleId>
<ScheduleName>Secretariat</ScheduleName>
<SchedulePriority>Normal</SchedulePriority>
<SeriesNumber xsi:nil="true" />
<StarRating>0.75</StarRating>
<SubTitle />
<Title>Secretariat</Title>
<Flags />
</Recording>
I'm guessing the category isn't read by MCEBuddy? I'm really new to Argus TV, but it appears they have a variety of categories for TV shows (series, talk show, paid programming, etc.), but only give movies a "movies" category.

I'm looking to see if I could set something up to automatically move movie recordings to a separate monitored folder for MCEbuddy to process.
Jan 27, 2015 at 2:07 PM
@srthimsen we don't have good sample of ArgusTV metadata which is why our support has also been limited. This is a good one, will use this to add support for movies categories.

Can you upload a few more samples for us to analyze and support. What we're looking for are:
  1. TV Shows (with episodes, seasons etc)
  2. Non series TV shows (documentaries etc)
  3. Movies
  4. Sports shows
  5. Anything else
If we have these samples we can reverse engg them to add support to reading the metadata.
Jan 27, 2015 at 2:17 PM
It's done you can try the new 2.4.2 BETA and please don't forget to share some sample for better support.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/31/2015 at 7:13 AM
Jan 27, 2015 at 3:51 PM
Thank you so much.

I'll definitely share some samples - I unfortunately likely won't be able to test this new version and upload samples until Thursday (work/family schedule), but I'll start collecting a variety of items.
Jan 29, 2015 at 12:51 AM
OK, I've uploaded several different XML files for your review (folder named by this discussion number).

I tried to find a combination of different items to show the various categories and how they are displayed in the XML file.
  1. Blood Diamond
    This is a movie, and is relatively self explanatory.
  2. Into the Wild
    This was a random documentary I found, and it shows up as a "special" - this was true of other documentary type shows in my guide as well, unless it was a documentary series, in which case, the category was "series," as the majority of shows are categorized as.
  3. Northwest Profiles
    Another random show I found, in this case, a talk show. This is apparently a regular show, since the episode number is displayed. One major note: this episode numbering format is default for Argus TV. When it finds season/episode information from epg guide data pulled into the software, it will generally show a 3 or 4 digit number; the first one or two digits relate to the season, the second two digits show the episode number. For this show, it gives "2801," which stands for season 28, episode 01.
    For some shows, this isn't always correct, and an extra number is added to the season for some reason... in those cases, it appears that the second season number is the correct one.
  4. The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That!
    I chose this one because my kids love it... and because Guide Enhancer pulls in season and episode numbers "properly." This makes information in the XML data very clear. I hope they combine Guide Enhancer functionality directly into ArgusTV at some point.
I also uploaded a screenshot of the different categories listed in the ArgusTV backend scheduling software. I don't know for sure if this is Argus TV default categories, or what is pulled in via my EPG grabber (microsoft guide data for US broadcast channels).

Let me know if I can clarify anything.
Jan 30, 2015 at 5:40 AM
I was able to test the beta version - it worked great and correctly identified a couple movies I tried. Thank you again!
Jan 31, 2015 at 3:12 PM
Thanks for the samples and PNG - very helpful