This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Problems getting started. . . . . . I need help!

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:04 PM
I feel I am reasonably skilled with computers but I am having a very difficult time setting up things for mcebuddy. I joined the premium program over 4 months ago and I have yet to be able to use the program. My needs are simple, however.

My wife records bunches of programs on our HTPC and wants to watch them on one o:f our downstairs DLNA TV's when I'm watching a sports event upstairs. Even though I have read all the How To guides, I simply don't have the understanding necessary to set things up. So, I'm asking for help.

I have three hard drives on my computer. The "E" drive is where recorded tv is stored in a folder called Recorded TV. So, I set up the montior folder as Windows Default "E Recorded TV. The first time I tried to use the program, it saw the recordings in this folder so I feel reasonably certain I have the correct path.

Next, I want the converted recordings to go to my network GoFlexHome Public Converted Recorded TV folder. I see the MCEBuddy note each time I try to set up the username and password for my network device but I continue to get that cryptic note about MCEBuddy using its own login or some such and I don't know what it means. Help!
If it would make things easier to set up, I now have a 2 TB drive on the HTPC computer and I could place the converted files there.
Because I would like to get e-mails (at least initially so that I know the program is working) I tried to set up the e-mail feature. But, I don't understand all the information needed there. For example, where do I find the smpt.gmail.com information that goes in that slot. Also, what is the mcebuddy e-mail address that the program asks for in the to and from slots. What goes in the first one? And the second one?

Since my wife has almost 2GB of recordings, I want to just convert the 2015 ones. How do I specify that in the advanced settings slot?
To me and surely for others, the program information requests are extremely confusing.
I have tried to read all the set up instructions but I really could use a hand with the set up. I know MCEBuddy is a great program but it's no good to me if I can't get it set up!
Please help. I am extremely frustrated!

BG Eagle
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2015 at 12:35 AM
BGEagle wrote:
I have three hard drives on my computer. The "E" drive is where recorded tv is stored in a folder called Recorded TV. So, I set up the montior folder as Windows Default "E Recorded TV. The first time I tried to use the program, it saw the recordings in this folder so I feel reasonably certain I have the correct path.
Okay so assuming this is working without any issues for you.
Next, I want the converted recordings to go to my network GoFlexHome Public Converted Recorded TV folder. I see the MCEBuddy note each time I try to set up the username and password for my network device but I continue to get that cryptic note about MCEBuddy using its own login or some such and I don't know what it means. Help!
Not sure what you mean by that, are you entering the username and login? When using a network path you need to enter your authentication since MCEBuddy cannot use the windows authentication. What that means in simpler terms it that when you login to your account in Windows and map a network driver or access network share and enter your credentials MCEBuddy cannot piggy back on it and will to separately authenticate with the network share so you need to enter your credentials. If there are are none just enter Guest.

Please attach a link or upload the mcebuddy.log file. On the main screen top right corner click on logs and it'll open up the logs folder, zip up mcebuddy.log and upload to a site like dropbox/onedrive or to the mcebuddy server (read the ReadMe before posting thread for instructions) for us to analyze and see what's going on.
Because I would like to get e-mails (at least initially so that I know the program is working) I tried to set up the e-mail feature. But, I don't understand all the information needed there. For example, where do I find the smpt.gmail.com information that goes in that slot. Also, what is the mcebuddy e-mail address that the program asks for in the to and from slots. What goes in the first one? And the second one?
From is your eMail address from which you'll be sending the email (the email has to be sent from someone's account, so that will be your account)
To is your or anyone else's email address to whom the email notifications have to be sent
For GMail use these settings:
From -> Your gmail address
To -> Your gmail address
Username -> Your gmail address
Password -> Your gmail password
SMTP Server -> smtp.gmail.com
Port -> 587
SSL -> Enabled
Since my wife has almost 2GB of recordings, I want to just convert the 2015 ones. How do I specify that in the advanced settings slot?
You can't there's no way to specify filtering by dates currently, you can create a separate folder and change your Monitor Task to monitor that folder and only put 2015 recordings in that folder.
To me and surely for others, the program information requests are extremely confusing.
I have tried to read all the set up instructions but I really could use a hand with the set up. I know MCEBuddy is a great program but it's no good to me if I can't get it set up!
Let us know your feedback on the Getting Started Guide, we thought it was pretty straight forward but obviously we're missing something. Our goal is to have our grandmom use MCEBuddy! Clearly we have a long way to go.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/12/2015 at 5:50 PM
Feb 3, 2015 at 3:49 PM
I have not read your suggestions yet this morning because this morning MCEBuddy is "idle" and I can't seem to get it to start. I've tried everything I know and it just won't start. I decided last night to skip all the network destinations and user a simpler method by sending my conversions to a new 2TB drive with only one folder on it - "Converted Recorded TV".

I've tried to copy my event and log files to send but my computer won't seem to allow me to copy and paste. I'm about ready to give up. It's just too much!

Ken
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2015 at 7:25 PM
Key point to note, if a file has been converted (or attempted to be converted) MCEBuddy won't try it again automatically (you need to add it manually or see below) and it keeps a history of all such conversions (failed and successful). This is to keep it from running into infinite loops.

So if you're trying to get it to "monitor" these files it won't happen until you "clear" the history.

On the main GUI page on the top left Click on "History", it'll open a new window, click on the button "Clear History" and then you should be good to go. (click Refresh on the main GUI page to speed up the monitoring, usually it checks every 5 minutes).

If you're still facing issue please upload a copy of mcebuddy.log

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:03 AM
OK, tonight I uninstalled and re installed MCE Buddy 2.4.1 64 bit version successfully. Yet, I have the same problem as before. The program is on idle. I tried your suggestion and cleared the history but still no luck. So, I have created a copy of the most recent log file and it is enclosed/attached.

2015-02-03T18:34:41 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> Loaded MCEBuddy engine settings
INFORMATION> --> Windows OS Version -> Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (WIN_7_2008_SERVER_R2, Home Edition)
INFORMATION> --> Windows Platform -> 64 Bit
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Platform -> 64 Bit
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Version : 2.4.1.1
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Build Date : 12/25/2014 10:30:26
INFORMATION> --> MCEBuddy Running as Service : True
--> Locale Language -> ENG
2015-02-03T18:34:41 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> MCEBuddy engine settings -> CONVERSION TASK OPTIONS ==>
Task -> Convert to MP4
Profile -> MP4 Normal
Source File ->
Destination Path -> F:\ConvertedRecordedTV
Working Path ->
Fallback Destination -> False
Skip ReProcessing -> False
Check Reprocessing History -> False
Auto Increment Filename -> False
Add to iTunes Library -> False
Add to WMP Library -> False
Max Width -> 720
Quality Multipltier -> 1
FPS ->
Auto DeInterlacing -> True
Prefer Hardware Encoding -> True
Volume Multipltier -> 0
DRC -> True
Force Stereo -> True
Encoder Select Best Audio Track -> True
Profile Audio Language ->
Audio Offset -> 0
Start Trim -> 0
End Trim -> 0
Closed Captions ->
Closed Captions Offset -> 2.5
Embed Subtitles and Chapters -> False
Commercial Removal -> Comskip
Custom Comskip INI Path ->
Download Series Details -> True
Prioritize matching by Original Broadcast Date -> False
Force Show Type -> Default
Write Metadata -> True
Rename by Series -> True
Alt Rename by Series -> False
Custom Rename by Series ->
Rename Only -> False
File Selection Pattern -> 2015
Show Selection Pattern ->
Channel Selection Pattern ->
Show Type Selection -> Default
DRM Type Selection -> All
Monitor Tasks Selection ->
Insert at Top of Queue -> False
Extract XML -> False
Disable Cropping -> False
Task Commercial Skip Cut -> False
Skip Copying Original File for Backup -> False
Skip Remuxing Original File to TS -> False
Ignore Copy Protection -> False
TiVO MAK Key ->
Domain Name -> Go Flex
User Name -> kmvgoflex
Password -> *********
Task Enabled -> True

GENERAL OPTIONS ==>
Domain Name ->
User Name -> kmvtgoflex
Password -> *********
Wake Hour -> -1
Wake Minute -> -1
Start Hour -> -1
Start Minute -> -1
Stop Hour -> -1
Stop Minute -> -1
Days of Week -> Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday
Minimum Age -> 0
Max Concurrent Jobs -> 1
Enable Job Logs -> True
Log Level -> 3
Log Keep Days -> 15
Use Recycle Bin -> False
Delete Original -> False
Archive Original -> False
Sync Converted -> False
Allow Sleep During Conversions -> False
Pause Conversion on Battery Power -> False
Send eMails -> False
eMail settings -> Send eMail Settings -> SMTP Server ->
Port -> 25
SSL -> False
User Name ->
Password ->
From ->
To ->
Bcc ->

eMail On Success -> True
eMail On Failure -> True
eMail On Cancellation -> True
eMail On Start -> True
eMail On Download Failure -> True
eMail On Queueing -> True
Custom subject for Successful conversion ->
Custom subject for Failed conversion ->
Custom subject for Cancelled conversion ->
Custom subject for Start of conversion ->
Custom subject for Download Failure ->
Custom subject for Queueing conversion ->
Skip eMail Body for notifications -> False

Locale -> en-US
Temp Working Path ->
Archive Folder ->
Failed Folder ->
Space Check -> True
Custom Comskip Path ->
Custom profiles.conf ->
App Hang Timeout -> 300
Scan New Files Poll Period -> 300
Process Priority -> Normal
CPU Affinity -> 0
Engine Running -> False
Subtitle Cut Segment Incremental Offset -> 3.2
Local Server Port -> 23332
UPnP Enabled -> False
Firewall Exception Enabled -> False

2015-02-03T18:35:38 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> Loaded MCEBuddy engine settings
INFORMATION> --> Windows OS Version -> Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (WIN_7_2008_SERVER_R2, Home Edition)
2015-02-03T18:35:38 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> MCEBuddy engine settings -> CONVERSION TASK OPTIONS ==>
Task -> Convert to MP4
Profile -> MP4 Normal
Source File ->
Working Path ->
Max Width -> 720
Quality Multipltier -> 1
FPS ->
Volume Multipltier -> 0
DRC -> True
Force Stereo -> True
Audio Offset -> 0
Start Trim -> 0
End Trim -> 0
Closed Captions ->
Write Metadata -> True
Rename by Series -> True
Rename Only -> False
Extract XML -> False
TiVO MAK Key ->
Domain Name -> Go Flex
User Name -> kmvgoflex
Password -> *********
Task Enabled -> True

GENERAL OPTIONS ==>
Domain Name ->
User Name -> kmvtgoflex
Password -> *********
Wake Hour -> -1
Wake Minute -> -1
Start Hour -> -1
Start Minute -> -1
Stop Hour -> -1
Stop Minute -> -1
Days of Week -> Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday
Minimum Age -> 0
Max Concurrent Jobs -> 1
Enable Job Logs -> True
Log Level -> 3
Log Keep Days -> 15
Use Recycle Bin -> False
Delete Original -> False
Archive Original -> False
Sync Converted -> False
Allow Sleep During Conversions -> False
Pause Conversion on Battery Power -> False
Send eMails -> False
eMail settings -> Send eMail Settings -> SMTP Server ->
Port -> 25
SSL -> False
User Name ->
Password ->
From ->
To ->
Bcc ->

eMail On Success -> True
eMail On Failure -> True
eMail On Cancellation -> True
eMail On Start -> True
eMail On Download Failure -> True
eMail On Queueing -> True
Custom subject for Successful conversion ->
Custom subject for Failed conversion ->
Custom subject for Cancelled conversion ->
Custom subject for Start of conversion ->
Custom subject for Download Failure ->
Custom subject for Queueing conversion ->
Skip eMail Body for notifications -> False

Locale -> en-US
Temp Working Path ->
Archive Folder ->
Failed Folder ->
Space Check -> True
Custom Comskip Path ->
Custom profiles.conf ->
App Hang Timeout -> 300
Scan New Files Poll Period -> 300
Process Priority -> Normal
CPU Affinity -> 0
Engine Running -> False
Subtitle Cut Segment Incremental Offset -> 3.2
Local Server Port -> 23332
UPnP Enabled -> False
Firewall Exception Enabled -> False

2015-02-03T18:37:24 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> Loaded MCEBuddy engine settings
2015-02-03T18:37:24 MCEBuddy.Engine.Core --> MCEBuddy engine settings -> CONVERSION TASK OPTIONS ==>
Task -> Convert to MP4
Profile -> MP4 Normal
Source File ->
Working Path ->
Max Width -> 720
Quality Multipltier -> 1
FPS ->
Volume Multipltier -> 0
DRC -> True
Force Stereo -> True
Audio Offset -> 0
Start Trim -> 0
End Trim -> 0
Closed Captions ->
Write Metadata -> True
Rename by Series -> True
Rename Only -> False
Extract XML -> False
TiVO MAK Key ->
Domain Name -> Go Flex
User Name -> kmvgoflex
Password -> *********
Task Enabled -> True

MONITOR TASK OPTIONS ==>
Task -> TV Recordings
Search Path -> E:\Recorded TV
Search Pattern -> .dvr-ms;.wtv;.asf;.avi;.divx;.dv;.flv;.gxf;.m1v;.m2v;.m2ts;.m4v;.mkv;.mov;.mp2;.mp4;.mpeg;.mpeg1;.mpeg2;.mpeg4;.mpg;.mts;.mxf;.ogm;.ts;.vob;.wmv;.tp;*.tivo
Monitor Delete Original -> False
Monitor Archive Original -> False
Mo
Feb 4, 2015 at 1:23 AM
Well, I hope I get some love from everyone b/c I stayed with it and finally got it going. And, I don't know what I did to make the difference. I'll report later once the conversion is finished to see if it goes to the correct folder and is playable.
Coordinator
Feb 4, 2015 at 2:52 AM
Please don't copy paste the log file here it get truncated and is essentially useless. Upload it to the mcebuddy server or some website like dropbox and post the link to it here.

Uninstalling/reinstalling has no effect on settings/history (unless you're following the clean install instructions) since they are backed up during uninstall and restored during install.

From the partial log it looks like you didn't have a monitor task setup earlier and hence it wasn't monitoring anything. Anyways can't tell since I can't see the whole log.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:57 PM
I wanted to thank you for your patience and understanding. The program seems to be running correctly now. I have been able to access the e-mail feature and utilize several other features you told me about. I did create a second folder so that I could set MCEBuddy to convert only 2015 programs. it required some manual effort but I got it done and it appears to be working correctly.

One question, however. To test my settings, I added one show for coversion and it only took around 15 minutes to covert. Now that I've added a large number of show for conversion (all 2015 recordings), the conversion process is showing almost two hours for "The Good Wife". I was expecting around 15 minutes as for the earlier test. At that rate, it will take days to convert the 148 files in the "2015 Recordings" folder. Is that time frame what is expected?
Coordinator
Feb 5, 2015 at 9:40 PM
Again without the conversion logs one can't say anything, I have no idea why profile you're using, what settings you're using, if you're using hardware acellerations, if the files have an error causing them to be recoded or seomthing else. Please go through the read me before posting thread.

Don't copy paste your logs here instead upload them (zip them if you want) and post hte links here, will need both the logs - the one that converted in 15 minutes and one that is taking longer to give you an answer. You will also notice at the end of each log there are performance statistics summarized showing how the time was spent.
Feb 12, 2015 at 3:18 PM
Here is the link to my logfile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/adx1x8wqgxdnafy/mcebuddylog232015.txt?dl=0

For your information, my HTPC is an Intel I5 with 8GB of Ram and running Windows 7 64 bit. I have two 2TB drives (one empty as of now) and I have a Seagate GoFlex networked backup with media sharing enabled.

My purpose for utilizing MCEBuddy is to convert recorded tv shows on my upstairs HTPC and store the files on the GoFlex so that my wife can access them using the downstairs Samsung television.

I have several MCEBuddy related questions for you. First, the converted files stored on my GoFlex are not being recognized properly by my television. The folders that are set up are named "Null" yet the programs are in the files and playable. Is this a problem with the DLNA function of the tv and, if so, is there an adjustment in MCEBuddy that can solve the problem.?

Next, do you have a suggestion about how to set up the recorded shows so that they can be played by both Windows Media Center and the DLNA television without having to store both the wtv files and the MP4 files. The information I have found states that WMC can't use the MP4 files.

As I stated to you earlier, I was a bit surprised at how long it took MCEBuddy to convert some files. The HTPC is used only to record and watch television programs so recording would be the only function competing with MCEBuddy for computer CPU use.

I appreciate you sticking with me while I worked through all my issues. It appears that MCEBuddy is working properly (other than for the issues listed above). I look forward to hearing from you once you have a look at the logs.

Ken
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2015 at 3:34 PM
I think you're confusing your DLNA and TV setup with MCEBuddy. There is no corelation.

As for MCE, it can play back MP4 file fine, just not from the recorded tv section (which is only WTV files). You will need to set it up under the movies or video section of MCE.
You can either switch to MP4 only or use the sync files option which when the converted file is deleted (mp4), it also deletes the source file (WTV)

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:29 PM
Ramit, sorry to bother you again but I had a problem with my computer and had to reload things including MCE Buddy. Once again, I am having trouble setting up the e-mail notification. I carefully read your instructions regarding the format for the e-mail notification but I wanted to ask if I should be able to use the same port (587)?
How did you select that port? Is it a port dedicated to e-mail?

Ken Vinzant

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2015 at 8:08 AM
http://email.about.com/od/accessinggmail/f/Gmail_SMTP_Settings.htm

Those are GMail STMP port requirements. Try both ports and see which one works for you. Sometimes I can use one but not other on some computers. I can't explain why.