This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Movies and TV Shows with Plex

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:05 PM
Greetings.

My searches have been rather thorough, but have missed.

When using MCEBuddy to process TV Shows and Series' wtv files from wmc to a Plex TV Show folder everything is fine. However when I record a movie Plex agents have difficulty (read: can't) deal with the Movie while it's in the TV Show folder. To the point of irritation.

I can make the Plex folder a 'Movie' folder, at which point Plex is very happy, but along comes a TV Show or Series and trouble ensues.

What I would really like to do is identify Movies (this can be done) and have them put in a Plex 'Movies' folder and have TV Shows and Series identified (again, can do) and they'll go in the Plex TV Show folder.

I currently have two Plex ready library folders:
MCEB-TV
MCEB-Movies
and, of course I can use one or the other, but not both.

This seems to be a Plex shortcoming, but just wondering if anyone has a similar issue and/or solution.

Thanks
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2015 at 5:53 PM
Easy - use the custom rename option and use the %ismovie% command to rename you files.

See the documentation on how to use the command.

This assumes that you metadata has the tags to identify movies and tv shows separately.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/12/2015 at 5:49 PM
Feb 12, 2015 at 6:03 PM
Yes, I know I can do that and the files are renamed.

The problem is that while Movies are in the TV Shows folder, Plex refuses to deal with them. TV Show folders are for TV Shows, Movies are for Movies. Unfortunately the Plex media agents necessary for indexing Movies, aren't present in a TV Show library and vice-versa.

What is needed is for Movies to be identified, renamed and processed, then copied to:
MCEB-Movies
TV Shows need to be identified, renamed and processed, then copied to:
MCEB-TV
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2015 at 6:30 PM
Maybe I'm not undersatnding what you're saying.:
Assuming your destination directory configured in the conversion task is:
C:\Recordings
This custom rename:
%ismovie%<MCEB-Movies\%showname%,MCEB-TV\%showname%\Season %season%\%showname% - S%season%##E%episode%##>
Will produce the following directory structures:
For movies:
C:\Recordings\MCEB-Movies\Movie.mp4
For TV Shows:
C:\Recordings\MCEB-TV\House\Season 1\House - S01E01.mp4
Isn't that what you're looking for?
Feb 12, 2015 at 7:07 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2015 at 7:14 PM
Yes, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

I had no idea the custom rename could be used to change the destination folder.

So, if I change the destination folder to: D:/MCEB, then create subdirectories:
d:/MCEB/MCEB-TV (Plex TV library folder)
d:/MCEB/MCEB-Movies (Plex Movie library folder)
then use the custom rename above, TV Shows will go into the MCEB-TV and Movies will go into MCEB-Movies.

Am I correct in thinking that: %airyear% used in this fashion: %ismovie%,%airyear%<MCEB-Movies\%showname%,MCEB-TV\%showname%\Season %season%\%showname% - S%season%##E%episode%##>
will result in: d:/MCEB-Movies/Movie (1966).wtv ?

I'm currently leaving an unaltered copy of the source files in: d:/Recorded TV and that allows me to manually edit out commercials with VideoReDo (for instance) for Classic Movies before placement in a more permanent library and/or format conversion to MP4.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but that solution never presented itself to me when I was pouring through the documentation.

I'll try this immediately. Thanks!
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2015 at 7:14 PM
Yes it should infact when you put in the command into the custom rename box it'll show what you expect right there in real time in the box right under it, that way if you've made a mistake or missed something out it'll show it to you.

As for Video Redo, you can use MCEBuddy CustomCuts to mark the commercial locations and then hit send to MCEBuddy to process it while converting, it's just faster.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:40 PM
Ok, I can't use subdirectories in Plex - at least not in the way we have them now.

d:/MCEB/
  MCEB-TV
  MCEB-Movies
d:/MCEB/MCEB-TV as far as Plex is concerned is a TV Show library. I can't make d:/MCEB/MCEB-Movies a Movie library so long as it's inside a designated TV Show library.

Would I be able to make the conversion directory the root of d:, then use the custom rename string to access:
d:/MCEB-TV
and
d:/MCEB-Movies
doing away with:
d:/MCEB

This way I can set Movies and TV in two different directories so Plex is happy and still copy to those directories with custom rename.
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2015 at 8:57 PM
great then leave your destination directory as d:/ and start your directory name in the custom rename

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:01 PM
Yep...

I can use the root of D: as the destination, then write to MCEB-TV and MCEB-Movies with custom rename. Plex is happy. I'm happy.

%airdate% for the movie was a bust, but I'll fiddle with that later.

Thanks
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2015 at 9:07 PM
u'r happy we're happy