This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

New to WMC and MCEBuddy

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:17 PM
I just installed a fresh media center on window 7 box. I would like to be able to skip commercials. I downloaded 2.3.14 and installed it.

Using your set up guide it watches for a recorded show and cuts the commercials out and converts to MP4.

For now, I have the original videos being archived. All seems to work as expected.

Here are my questions that I can not seem to find.

1) Can I scan for commercials, mark them and then as I am playing from the media center, can it auto skip through commercials with out converting and cutting the commercials out? It takes a really long time to convert and cut the commercials and I would rather just skip through them.

2) Can the archive folder be placed in another directory? My recorded TV addin shows the archives because they are in my folder I'm watching. So for each video I convert I have two in my list.
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2015 at 4:46 PM
1. You can try one thing, select the option to "Only detect ads", this will create an EDL file and in expert settings select the option to add the chapter and subtitles, this will create a MP4 file with chapter for EDL markers (commercial skip points). However it really won't reduce the time taken, you still need to run comskip to detect and the conversion is what really takes the long time (unless you use a Unprocessed profile with no conversion). You could also use the EDL file with XMBC to skip playback.

2. Yes it can, you can configure it from the Monitor Task for each task individually or in the System settings for global settings.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/14/2015 at 8:55 AM
Feb 13, 2015 at 4:55 PM
If I just create the EDL file with no conversion, Will Windows Media Center skip the commercials with that file?

Can you explain this "Unprocessed profile with no conversion" . I don't need it converted or moved. I just want to automatically skip commercials. How is the best efficient way to skip through commercials?
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2015 at 5:18 PM
The unprocessed profiles (see the list of profiles on your conversion task), don't process the files. They just change the containers. They are used when you're trying to do just that, say go from WTV to TS ot WTV to MP4 or MKV. It doesn't change the codecs (make sure the source video codec is compatible with the container, most WTV are mpeg2 where as MP4 doesn't support mpeg2). These profiles are fast because they don't recode or trim or deinterlace etc.

and to your first question no MCE doesn't support EDL out of the box, not sure if add on's exist that support EDLs

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:24 PM
A lot of the discussions talk about a Donator Comskip but most of the discussions are from 2013. Would there still be a benefit to get the Donator version or is it build into MCEBuddy now?
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2015 at 6:33 PM
Unfortunately comskip donator version cannot be built into MCEBuddy.

Thanks to Eric working closely with us now the latest "free" version of Comskip can work on h.264 files without having to resort to the donator version BUT it limits the FPS to 30, which means it'll take 1 hour to process a 1 hour video.
The donator version has no such limitations, the 2 major benefits of the donator version are:
1. Ability to work directly on WTV files (if you're skipping remuxing)
2. No speed limit on working with h.264 files

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:38 PM
Great. I just donated to Mcebuddy and to comskip so maybe with the update versions, I can get done what I need.