This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

slow conversions when not logged in as a user

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:25 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2015 at 1:57 PM
First let me say what a great program, and thank you for putting so much effort into it. There's nothing else like it!

I'm having a issue though; last week I my old motherboard died so I upgraded to a i7 and reinstalled. The performance improved dramatically , but I'm experiencing a issue when converting while not logged in as a user. When not logged in as a user the conversions are taking approx three fold increase in conversion times using the same profile. For example, last night I recorded Revenge and Madam Secretary, both 1 hour shows and both HD so the file size was very close. Revenge was converted while logged in as a user - conversion time 00:21:26. Madam Secretary was converted while NOT logged in as a user - conversion time 00:57:31. What if anything can I do to increase the performance while not logged in as a user?

My system
MCEBuddy - 2.4.2
Win7ProX64
Intel i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz processor
MSI Z97S SLI motherboard
16gb DDR3 2400 memory
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Integrated Graphics)
Temp file - on a SSD, recordings on a 5300rpm HHD

I looked through the logs and it looks like it might be a handbrake issue. Here's some excerpts from the logs that might help. (I can post the full logs if it helps) I see it reports an error - "StartAppWithAdminPrivilegesFromNonUISession WTSQueryUserToken failed (No logged on users) with error 1008. An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist". Might this be the problem and if so is there anything I can do to fix it?
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2015 at 1:57 PM
That's normal. Infact the logs will tell you that you need a user logged on for hardware encoding to work.

This is a limitation of the OS architecture in windows 7. It doesn't allow access to hardware API through session 0. Windows 8 allows it. So the ideal solution would be to upgrade

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/28/2015 at 12:30 PM
Mar 16, 2015 at 1:57 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2015 at 1:59 PM
Ok, thanks.

Not a fan of 8... Guess I'll wait and see if 10 is any better
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2015 at 2:00 PM
That's why a logged on user is required in Windows 7 and vista. Mcebuddy gets the logged in user session token and forces handbrake to run in the user session context thereby giving it access to the hardware api's. A workaround but at least it works. You can have a remote session also logged it for this trick to work. Microsoft rocks right :)