This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

TS conversions

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:26 PM
Version 2.4.2
I record in a TS file and then convert the original to MP4 and save to a NAS.

I'm wondering if under the "Expert" menu, if checking the "skip copying original files" and checking the "skip remuxing files" would speed up the conversion with no ill effects?

The original is already a TS file, and MCEBuddy saves the converted file to the NAS, not over righting the original.

Just trying to squeeze a little more speed out of my conversions.
Mar 19, 2015 at 6:34 PM
Skip remuxing won't help but likely skip copying may. However you run the risk incase some thing goes wrong but in general it should be fine

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:48 PM
If the transcoded file is saved to the NAS would it possible for the original to get damaged or corrupted?

Does MCEBuddy actually alter the original file in some way? Just trying to understand how things work under the hood.
Mar 20, 2015 at 7:08 AM
Since you working on TS files there should be no remuxing (transcoding) unless the original is defective or damaged.

Now the copying is done to protect the original. If you skip copying there may be a chance it might impact the original.

Why I say may is that we have extensively tested the skip copying option and haven't come across any issues even in failure cases. But then nothing is perfect :) if we missed a boundary condition then it could have an issue depending upon what operations you are doing. For the most it should be safe.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/28/2015 at 12:30 PM