This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Cannot load WTV Files in Custom Cuts

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:41 AM
I have been using MCEBUddy for a few weeks (2.4.1 64-bit, donator version), but Custom Cuts has been a little frustrating. I can load other video types, but I cannot load WTV files that I recorded in WMC. I just get a generic error (cannot load video type). MP4 loads in Custom Cuts just fine, though the cuts don't always process in MCEBuddy (that's another issue for another time).

The main thing I want to do is load a WTV, trim the file a little bit, then process it. Right now I have to convert to MP4, then load the MP4 and do the custom cuts, then process again. This doesn't seem right to have to recode/remux twice, but maybe this is what I have to do. It just seems like a lot of unnecessary processing.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Am I doing something wrong?
Mar 21, 2015 at 5:26 AM
Two things to note here:
1. If the cut is smaller than 30 seconds approx mcebuddy will ignore the cut and not process it. This is by design since very often we have seen that small cuts lead to failure due to a variety of issues or doesn't cut exactly on cue due to the nature of MPEG GOP boundaries.

2. Videos are loaded and played using windows direct show filters. So if the wtv is not loading it's likely that your direct show filter is corrupted or has been replaced. What is the exact error message? What OS are you using? Most importantly have you installed any codec packs like k-lite or shark007?

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:23 AM
Thanks for the quick response.
  1. Cuts are generally about 2 minutes at the beginning, maybe a minute or two at the end. But this is helpful to know.
  2. The error is "Media Load Error - Failed to load media file". OS Win 8.1. I have not loaded any codec packs (should I?).
Mar 22, 2015 at 6:04 AM
Okay in that case I will need to see the conversion log to see what's going on.

No you shouldn't load any codec packs. Not sure why it isn't loading. Are you able to play it back in WMP?

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:05 AM
The problem isn't with conversion, so I have no log to provide. It is just loading it in Custom Cuts. I can convert without a problem
I am able to play in WMP.
Mar 23, 2015 at 8:59 AM
Please help me understand what you mean by problem is on custom cuts
Are you saying thy lets say you mark 2 cuts
2.00 - 4.00
18.00 - 27.00

When you save and reload you are getting different cut numbers?

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:49 PM
Here is the issue, step by step:
  1. I open Custom Cuts
  2. I click the Open Video button and select the WTV file I want to cut.
  3. After a minute or two, I get the error "Media Load Error - Failed to load media file"
As mentioned, the WTV file plays in WMP. I tried this on two different computers (both Win 8.1) with the same results.

Custom Cuts works fine on MP4 files.
Mar 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM
Can't do much about the wtv files not opening. That's windows direct show filters. It more a windows issue. Try installing a codec pack like ffdshow and see if it helps. It comes packaged with mcebuddy

However what's the issue with the cuts that you were referring to

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/28/2015 at 12:31 PM
Mar 23, 2015 at 3:59 PM
I was having a problem with one file in particular, but the cut may have been less than 30 seconds, so you've already addressed it. I believe I installed ffdshow after I installed MCEBuddy, but I'll try to reinstall to see if that resolves anything.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!