This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MCEBuddy and Comskip to just skip?

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:03 PM
No conversion, no commercial removal.

Possible?
Apr 21, 2015 at 2:10 PM
Yes, but not just with MCEBuddy alone. The included comskip can be configured to generate EDL and XML files and not edit the file, but then you need an add-on for MCE to process the EDL or XML during playback and force MCE to skip. MCEBuddy currently can't do that. I've been doing this for years, but I had to use parts of another project to do it. I forget the name or details at the moment, but I'm sure someone with a less buggy memory will recall. It's an obvious need; the ONLY reason it wasn't included in MCE itself is because Microsoft would've been awash in lawsuits from TV stations and Big Media if they had.
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2015 at 2:44 PM
@mangochutney explain what you mean by just skip?

If you mean just generate the EDL yes it's possible like @VulcanTourist mentioned. Use the rename only feature

If you mean cut commercials but retain the original video quality, yes use the unprocessed profiles. They don't convert but remux the container without recoding the video.

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:17 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2015 at 3:17 PM
Thanks for the replies both.

I currently use DVRMSToolBox with Comskip and MC addin to create an XML and simply skip whilst playing the untouched MediaCenter Win7 DVRMS recording. Sometimes Comskip gets it wrong, so I can disable skipping with the remote pound key, rewind and watch the incorrectly skipped part.
I would like to duplicate this setup but replace DVRMSTB with MCEBuddy. From what you've described, I could still use the DTB addin to do the skip function from the XML created by MCEBuddy?
Apr 21, 2015 at 4:18 PM
Basically what I'm looking for is a simple file watcher service for recordedTV through MCEBuddy that can kick off Comskip to scan and create an XML file. Ideally using live detection as Comskip have advanced the live scanning algorithms of late.
Apr 22, 2015 at 12:24 AM
Yep, DVRMS Toolbox is what I cannibalized for the MCE commercial-skipping addin. Sorry I couldn't recall the name.

On 2015-04-21 8:17 AM, mangochutney wrote:

Thanks for the replies both.

I currently use DVRMSToolBox with Comskip and MC addin to create an XML and simply skip whilst playing the untouched DVRMS recording. Sometimes Comskip gets it wrong, so I can disable skipping with the remote pound key, rewind and watch the incorrectly skipped part.
I would like to duplicate this setup but replace DVRMSTB with MCEBuddy. From what you've described, I could still use the DTB addin to do the skip function from the XML created by MCEBuddy?

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 4/28/2015 at 12:36 PM
Apr 22, 2015 at 12:26 AM
Lots of questions, sorry:

Live detection?
Apr 22, 2015 at 3:44 AM
I have the same trouble that you do when it comes to certain programs - I'm lookin' at YOU, CBS - having the commercials incorrectly detected (because of deliberate efforts to cause that). I could probably figure out a way to just have MCEBuddy not perform any commercial detection at all for those specific programs, but it's trivial enough to just delete the EDL and XML files before I watch and deny the addin's offer to do it. I don't know that it's reasonable to expect MCEBuddy to play a bigger role in the whole process. At least this way I have more control over the process than with DVRMS Toolbox.
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2015 at 6:15 AM
You could try to use the Comskip INI editor to create a custom INI file for CBS by tweaking the parameters. If you do please consider sharing it, we'll put it up on the MCEBuddy server for all under the SHARED_INFORMATION folder.

There is already some existing INI files for specific US channels (Fox, ABC etc) which may be helpful for some folks.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:09 PM
I'm almost there thank you. Is MCEBuddy able to initiate a Comskip scan live whilst the recording is being made?
Apr 23, 2015 at 1:30 AM
I think that ability is unique to DVRMS Toolbox at the moment. MCEBuddy doesn't have any program-started triggers, does it?