This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

DIVX to MP4 - MP4 Unprocessed

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:07 PM
So as an experiment I tried converting a programme that I had previously converted using my usual profile, this converts an mpeg-2 video in a .TS container to DIVX in an .AVI container using FFMEPG.

I tried the MP4 Unprocessed profile to convert this file to an MP4 container. The conversion appears to be clean on initial playback but there are problems later on in the file at the edit points where commercials have been removed,

Playing it back in VLC Player, the frame after the cut is extremely choppy and the audio is off, this clears when the next full frame is reached after about 5 seconds.

In Windows Media Player the file plays correctly until the first edit, the video appears to be clean (no stutter) but the audio goes off and remains out of sync, subsequent edit points seem to force the audio further out of sync.

Am I doing something wrong? Should this have worked?

The log for the conversion is on the following link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0c_ymiNgQNJT1VZSDUwRUtDd3M/view?usp=sharing

Thanks
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2015 at 8:18 PM
mpeg2 in a mp4 container - not the best idea. I don't even know if it's officially supported.

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:15 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's DIVX in an MP4 container.

It's mpeg-2 (TS) => DIVX (AVI) => DIVX (MP4)
Coordinator
Apr 30, 2015 at 9:32 PM
how about MKV Unprocessed? and was this with the latest 2.4.2 beta? (new ffmpeg build)

May 1, 2015 at 4:45 PM
I'm running 2.4 beta 2 20150305

Same problem with MKV.

I'm not sure if it is relevant but the MP4 and MKV are 2 seconds longer than the AVI?

As the problem is on the frame following an edit I think the problem is related to my smart rendering these sections in VirtualDub. The original conversion in using FFMPEG's DIVX library but the edit is not. So I guess if I am to move away from AVI's I'm going to have to do a clean conversion to another format and then edit that as is.
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2015 at 6:06 PM
Hmm looks like my post never made it here. Trying again

That's a very old build you're using, please try the 2.4.2 release version that was released recently. It has a new ffmpeg in it.
Jun 16, 2015 at 5:19 PM
I've installed the latest version.

I haven't tested the remux yet, but before I do I have another question, you say that it's a new version of FFMPEG, how new is new?

The reason that I ask is that all of my conversion report that the audio is VBR even though the conversion uses a CBR setting, there was a problem reported to FFMPEG support about this sometime ago and it was supposed to have been fixed in a new release, I am suspect that many of the problems I have with conversions is because of the audio.

Thanks
Coordinator
Jun 17, 2015 at 3:11 AM
In the logs you will see the build date

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:45 PM
What's the string to look for, I've tried FFMPEG, version, build and date with no luck?
Coordinator
Jun 20, 2015 at 4:43 AM
You're right with the latest builds we've disabled the headers to reduce the log size. Take run the ffmpeg in the ffmpeg in the ffmpeg directory and see the build date.