This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Please Support SiliconDust DVR software

May 6, 2015 at 9:42 PM
Edited May 6, 2015 at 10:38 PM
I am a paid member and MCEBuddy is a great tool. SiliconDust (SD) has met their Kickstarter goal for their DVR software which will allow a NAS (or a PC) to record from one of their tuners and then let a Windows PC/Mac/Android TV play it back - essentially bypassing WMC. Their goal is to also get it to work with protected content.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-dvr-the-dvr-re-imagined
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=89

Is there any chance you can reach out to SiliconDust and work to support their software in addition to MCE? Some people will want to continue using Plex and other software for the non-protected content with the new DVR systems. SiliconDust is getting guide data, the files will have meta data, and files will be dumped in one folder with no associated database to keep track of them. It sounds a bit like WMC in that regard. A preview of the software is shown in this video, with a blurry screenshot of the saved files at 4:40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=281&v=hbkMqcWkFQ0

SD is a small company and I think it is likely they will work with you. Good luck and thanks in advance.

EDIT: At 4:45 the video is clear, and I can see that file names are: series name, original air date, and date/time it was recorded. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See below: bold text is the file name, in parentheses are the information I got from Wikipedia based on those file names.

Doctor Who 20101225 [20150401-1900] (i.e. "A Christmas Carol", Series /Season 6, Episode '--' or 0. Doctor Who is tricky!)
Doctor Who 20110423 [20150401-2000] (i.e. "The Impossible Astronaut" Series/Season 6 Episode 1)
Doctor Who 20110521 [20150403-1500] (i.e. "The Rebel Flesh" Series/Season 6 Episode 5)
Coordinator
May 7, 2015 at 12:21 AM
Thanks for posting this. Yes we have been in touch with SD and their CEO/CTO however we are waiting on them to get back to us to have a "technical" dialogue. I would recommend that you drop them a note as well and we will be happy to work with them to get this working smoothly with MCEBuddy.

May 7, 2015 at 12:06 PM
I have already contributed. I sure hope that whatever format they choose to use, MCEBuddy will work with it. Much to convenient to use Ples to serv up all of the content once MCEBuddy has ripped out the commercials and converted the files.
May 8, 2015 at 3:03 AM
I asked Nick at SD about the file version last week since it was not mentioned. He wrote back saying this
The recordings are in simple MPEG-TS format and can be played outside of the HDHomeRun client app.
Nick
May 12, 2015 at 7:47 PM
Guess I've been beaten to the punch.

I too am a paid member for MCEBuddy as well as a contributor to HDHomeRun DVR and would definitely love to see this happen. I'm very happy it's being considered.

I'll make sure to continue to ping SD about this. Thank you!
Jun 24, 2015 at 8:01 PM
Just stopped by to +1, SD DVR looks like the future and their previous products have been pretty solid. MCE_buddy is awesome, dont recall what I paid for early access but I'd buy it again if it meant HD Homerun support.
Coordinator
Jun 24, 2015 at 10:52 PM
Please drop a line to HD Silicon about the same. We are waiting on them to come back to us with their tech specs.

Jul 8, 2015 at 6:12 PM
Did you ever get a response from SiliconDust?
Jul 8, 2015 at 6:18 PM
Rboy1,

You might want to take a look on page 2 of this thread.

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=21015&p=130679#p130679
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2015 at 2:28 AM
No response yet, try posting on the FB site, they reached out to us when saw us post about their DVR on our FB page.
They did mention in a single sentence about specific format they needed the file in for it to play but haven't got more details on it yet.

@nyplayer, maybe I'm missing something there.
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2015 at 5:31 AM
Okay folks, we've added BETA support for SiliconDust metadata. MCEBuddy can now read and write (to MPG and TS) SiliconDust metadata. Huge project but we've finally gotten there thanks a bunch to @MNSearcher for his extensive samples.

Try out the latest BETA build and let us know how it goes. We don't have any official profile for it yet, so we're looking for inputs from the community on what works best for you guys! LEt us know what you're using and the pro/cons.

Right now MCEBuddy will write the SiliconDust metadata header (this isn't a DD dump, we've actually written code to parse, strip and construct TS frames) to all TS and MPg files. It should not impact any files since the metadata is stored in a unique PID 0x1FFA and most players should just ignore it since there is no PMT or PES headers.

But test it out and let us know. Now you should be able to take non HD HomeRun recordings and convert them into HDHomeRun recognizable recordings as long as the metadata is available to MCEBuddy to encode it into the MPG file.
Oct 4, 2015 at 6:29 PM
This is potentially very exciting! I will download the new Beta and try this out later on. Thanks rboy1 for you guys putting attention on this. This would be a game changer for me if it works!
Oct 5, 2015 at 2:00 AM
HI rboy1,

So, I am fairly new to changing anything that is not in the GUI for MCEBuddy. Is there something I need to change in the config file to achieve the above or would it be via the GUI settings? Do I have to create a custom profile? I've tried to read how to do that on the FAQ pages but I think I am confused.

What tutorial should I be reading to learn this?
Coordinator
Oct 5, 2015 at 3:53 PM
Nothing required from the user end. Start with TS profile and rename the output to mpg.

You can look at existing profiles as a template for new ones. The documentation is split into two parts. The basics and then the advanced. Both are available on documentation.mcebuddy2x.com

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:13 PM
Awesome! Thanks.

I am going to play with this a bit more today. I did some last night and had varying results on whether or not the DVR would recognize the file after the commercial cutting. Sometimes it would and sometimes it would not. I have had no luck on any file that wasn't created by the SD DVR but I have no idea if those files recorded on another DVR program had the metadata in them still. They had previously been run through MCEBuddy. Did MCEBuddy leave any metadata behind before this change to work with writing the data into the file?
Coordinator
Oct 5, 2015 at 4:17 PM
If the original file was a SDHR file then MCEBuddy just transfers the metadata to the header of the file. If the original wasn't SDHR it creates the metadata and adds it to the header of the file.

Are you keeping the destination filename the same as the original?

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:24 PM
On the original SDHR files no, I am having MCEBuddy change the name to include the episode name - Series Name - S02E03 - Episode Name.ext.

If it is not an original SDHR file then I don't change the name because it's already named the way I want it.
Oct 7, 2015 at 12:31 PM
I only see 2.4.2 as the latest download available.....does this version have the update to work with SiliconDust mpg files? I can't find any version dated later.
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2015 at 2:09 AM
Try the 2.4.3 BETA version

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:15 PM
Why does it take so long to scan the HDDVR recordings ..... I have a filename filter in my task but it is still trying to extract the metadata from all files.... even the ones that do not match the filename filter.??
Coordinator
Oct 8, 2015 at 9:25 PM
Hmm yes extracting the HDHR metadata is a very slow process and right now it scans all TS and MPG files. An optimization that needs to be built in.

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2015 at 9:25 AM
This feature is now supported with the latest build of 2.4.3 dated 10/15/15.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/15/2015 at 2:25 AM