This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MCEBuddy keeps converting shows that already exist.

May 21, 2015 at 6:32 PM
Windows Media Center win7 keep recording old shows again. It seems to forget it has already recorded them.

Then MCEBuddy starts converting them again.

Is there a way to have MCEBuddy to check to see if a show already exists before it tried to convert it again?
Coordinator
May 22, 2015 at 6:49 AM
MCEbuddy only checks file names. If MCE generates a new filename each time it'll process them. This is a MCE configuration issue not mcebuddy.
You need to select option in the MCE recording config to only record a show once (no repeats)
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 5/21/2015 at 11:49 PM
May 22, 2015 at 6:07 PM
I couldn't find a option for that in MCE. I think it is the default already. I think one of two things happen in MCE

a) It has a small history file of what's been recdorded and it had to kick off old recording lists to add new recording lists.
b) It checks the RecordedTV folder for history, but it is full and old shows get deleted to make room for new shows. So it doesn't remember the history.

Is there any way you can add a feature to check for a pre-existing filenames before it starts the conversion process? As you probably already know, Microsoft has officially abandoned MCE completely.

btw, I'm using MCEBuddy 2.4 beta 2.
May 22, 2015 at 7:43 PM

Actually I believe MCE uses the properties of the downloaded that have a flag that says if it is a rerun.

Every time I’ve found a re-record and examined the property details it always says Rerun = No.

This is an error in the downloaded properties that MCE gets from the cable provider.

Coordinator
May 23, 2015 at 7:01 AM
What do you mean by pre exiting file names. Please prove an example

Coordinator
May 23, 2015 at 7:02 AM
That's right @tcanter97. The metadata comes from the EPG and cable provider based on which MCE determines I the show is a rerun or live

May 23, 2015 at 5:06 PM
Whbat I mean by pre-existing filenames is the shows that are already recorded.

For example I have all of the Chasing Classic Cars episodes, yet it always get recorded by MCE and MCEBuddy converts it again. This is starting to choke my system as MCE is at a point that it thinks all shows are new again and it just keeps re-recording everything over and over. My HTPC is running almost 100% 24/7 anymore.

Since I don't know anything about MCE I was hoping that maybe you can add an option to check for pre-existing shows before the actual conversion. Maybe don't overwrite existing shows or something? Hopefully it exist already and I just need to figure out how to enable it.
Coordinator
May 23, 2015 at 11:38 PM
Your talking symptoms. I was asking specifics. Mcebuddy goes by files names. If mce generates a unique file name for each recording then mce buddy will convert it. As pointed out above you need to configure mce to not record reruns and that depends upon your cable provider epg

May 24, 2015 at 2:29 AM
That's the issue. I need the reruns so I get all of the past episodes. It's just at some point it seems to lose track of episodes it has already recorded and recently started re-recording the same episodes again. It seems to happen when the RecordedTV folder gets full and it has to start deleting old show recordings to make room for new show recordings. Maybe just a coincident. Maybe there is a log of shows already recorded somewhere? Maybe it got corrupt or something?

I've looked through all of the recording settings of MCE and nothing stands out.

Do you know the exact location of not recording reruns? I have it set to record series. So far it hasn't recorded episodes twice until recently.
Coordinator
May 24, 2015 at 2:18 PM
There is one option you could try but this works only if you keep the converted files.

In the conversion task expert settings there is an option not to convert I the destination file exits. So if the converted file is kept and the same recording comes up with the same destination name mcebuddy will skip it

May 24, 2015 at 8:59 PM
hmm, that's odd, I have looked there several times now and missed it every time. lol

Thanks, I have it set now.

Thanks once again
-=Mark=-
May 25, 2015 at 2:43 AM
Doh, that was the wrong option. It just creates a copy of the show, so now I have two of every show.

I can't seem to find the option to not convert if destination file exists.