This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Burning/extracting subtitles

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:10 PM
Ref thread
https://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/465663

I'trying to convert WTV files to mkv or mp4 and at the same time burn the subtitles from the WTV file.
Reason for burning the subtitles is that the subtitle format is not supported for creating srt files(which would be my preferred solution)
I believe the format of the subtitles is some kind of bitmap format used in som european countries.

However, subtitles are recognized by MceBuddy
Subtitle 1
Language : Norwegian (nor)
Codec : libzvbi_teletextdec

But I cant figure out out to get them burned into the final video clip.
I have enabled "extracting Subtitle and Closed Captions" in MceBuddy, and as a test added
SubtitleBurn=true to all the profiles in profiles.conf.
Nevertheless, no subtitles in the final result.
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2015 at 5:25 PM
If the source subtitles are in bitmap format, currently we are working on a solution to do image recognition to convert them to SRT text. However this is early stages and obviously it's dependent on the langiage.

Can you upload a few sample videos with this bitmap teletext subtitles for us to analyze? Small sample, about 100MB should be fine.
Jun 27, 2015 at 4:18 AM
Would this work on DVD files (.vob or .mkv)? My understanding is that DVDs usually have subtitles in bitmap.

That would be a great feature addition!
Aug 4, 2015 at 3:00 PM
Can you use the files i uploaded to

Folder: discussion465663_Teletext_subtitles_samples/
Aug 21, 2015 at 8:44 PM
Is there really no one that can answer if it is possible to burn subtitles(or even better convert to srt) if the format is
If this is not supported, thats too bad, but it is an answer and I dont have to search for this anymore.

Video

Codec : mpeg2video
Duration : 00h : 02m : 03s
Height : 576
Width : 704
FPS : 25

Audio 1

Codec : mp2
Channels : 2

Subtitle 1

Codec : libzvbi_teletextdec
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2015 at 12:55 AM
Not currently. That's something we are still working on. It supports close captions and subtitles but you seem to have images (dvb) for subtitles which isn't text. It needs to have OCR convert to text

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/15/2015 at 3:05 AM
Aug 23, 2015 at 6:17 PM
So converting to srt files is not supported, but is it possible to burn the subtitles directly to the final result?
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2015 at 7:49 PM
You can burn SRT and subtitles to the final file but not the images. Right now all your subtitles are in image format and there is no way to accurately extract/process them.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/15/2015 at 3:05 AM