This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

HDHomerun HDTC -> Remux w/ Audio Encoding

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:44 PM
Hello -

I've got a setup where I've got an HDHomerun HDTC (hardware h.264 encoding - https://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdtc-2us/) - and using WMC I have scheduled recordings. I have a Plex setup that once the files are recorded to I remux the files to .mkv and ship them off to my NAS where Plex can stream them. My plex server is an older Core 2 machine, so it doesn't handle on the fly transcoding. Most of my viewing devices are Roku (1 and 2s) - so it has to transcode the AC3 audio to AAC.

I originally walked through this thread - to quickly remux the files from WTV to MKV and ship them over. I threw together a quick profile that for the most part works ok.

http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/discussions/431449

It worked ok, with some lag on pausing/fast forwarding and occasional "loading" in the videos, but the audio was still in AC3. The issue that I'm facing now is that at times I want to eliminate Plex from the setup, and just stream directly to my Roku. I get the video, just no audio because of AC3. I've tried a number of times to write a custom profile - but either the video works and there is no audio, or the audio works and the video is really jerky.

The HDTC produces x.264 video with AC3 audio (I'm using the 720p mobile profile). The Roku 1-2 only support AAC video.

My goal would be to remux the files as fast as possible (basically just copy/remux to mkv/convert the audio to aac). No commercial cutting, etc... Just get the files done as soon as possible, and get them out the NAS server as fast as possible so I can view them.

I recently joined the early upgrade program in hopes that some of the new profiles would work (Roku) - but unfortunately it takes 20 minutes to process a 20 minute video. It does play well however. Of course it only takes 2 minutes on my i7 - but I would really hope I could just do some audio encoding on the Core 2. The WMC machine is a Intel Core 2, and has a HD 5450 GPU which I believe supports some versions of OpenCL.

This is my current profile - but no matter what I put in for audio it does not change from AC3:
[MKV Unprocessed AAC 2 Channel]
Description=Creates MKV files by copying the video directly. It does not resize, remove black bars, deinterlace your videos or select audio language. Use this if you have high

quality HD recordings which only need audio processing.
order=copy,ffmpeg
copy-remuxto=.mkv
copy-audiodelay=skip
ffmpeg-general=-threads 0
ffmpeg-video=-ss 3 -vcodec copy -map 0:a -map 0:v
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec libvo_aacenc -ab 192k -ac 2
ffmpeg-audioac3=-acodec libvo_aacenc -ab 192k -ac 2
ffmpeg-ext=.mkv
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
FixedResolution=true
SkipCropping=true
AllowH264CopyRemuxing=true
And this was a new profile I tried:

[MKV Unprocessed AAC Fast Remux]
Description=Used for H.264 videos with non AAC audio. Creates MKV files by copying the video directly. It does not resize, remove black bars, deinterlace your videos or select audio language. Use this if you have high quality HD recordings which don't need processing other than the audio.
order=ffmpeg
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec aac -ab 192k -ac 2 -strict experimental
ffmpeg-audioac3=-acodec aac -ab 192k -ac 2 -strict experimental
ffmpeg-ext=.mkv
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
FixedResolution=true
SkipCropping=true
This worked, but the video was jerky/choppy? I've read on the roku/plex forums that this might be an issue with the audio - and not the video?

Anyhow - someone with better knowledge or maybe someone that's done this before - I would greatly appreciate the help on what I am doing wrong with the profiles.

Thanks!

Jamey
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2015 at 7:15 PM
Your first profile is using the copy encoder, hence it doesn't change anything"
order=copy,ffmpeg

Remove the Copy and only keep ffmpeg

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:32 PM
Awesome! Thanks rboy1 that worked like a charm! The files now play flawlessly directly played on the Rokus!
[MKV Remux H.264 AAC]
Description=Creates MKV files by copying the video directly. It does not resize, remove black bars, deinterlace your videos or select audio language. Use this if you have high

quality HD recordings which only need audio processing.
order=ffmpeg
copy-remuxto=.mkv
copy-audiodelay=skip
ffmpeg-audio=-acodec libvo_aacenc -ab 192k -ac 2
ffmpeg-audioac3=-acodec libvo_aacenc -ab 192k -ac 2
ffmpeg-ext=.mkv
ffmpeg-audiodelay=skip
FixedResolution=true
SkipCropping=true