This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

How to confirm in the Log File that 2 Pass encoding is happening

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:24 PM
Hi guys,

Looking for some help here.

Is there a way to confirm that 2 Pass encoding is happening in the log file?

I have my encode settings set on High Profile MP4 and I'm pretty sure MCEB is NOT doing 2 pass encoding on the files.

In the Client, it will sometimes say something like "doing second pass encoding" or something like that. However, it doesn't do this with every file that it's converting with this profile.

AND, if MCE Buddy IS doing it, it's going extremely fast.

I've got original quality BluRay rips that are converting using the mp4 high quality 2 pass settings in 40-60 minutes = Stupid fast.
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2015 at 2:23 AM
If you're using hardware encoding then it only does 1 pass, hardware encoding doesn'ts upport 2 pass.

To check if second pass is being used, search for second pass in the log file (first pass should be there logically), second pass will start after the first pass.
Jul 9, 2015 at 4:18 PM
Edited Jul 9, 2015 at 4:28 PM
hmmmm.... Then I've definitely got something very weird going on

Here are screenshots of my settings. It shows I have hardware encoding checked, but below are two log files from movies that were being processed. The first one had 2 passes the second one didn't.

They both were encoded by the same profile.

Conversion Task Settings

Expert Settings

Log File with 2 Pass, under these settings

Log without 2 Pass, under these settings

Another things that's odd, that might be related.

At the beginning of the conversion, I see text above the progress bar that says "Re-ReMuxing due to Audio Error". Every time I see this error, the file doesn't have a second pass. If this text isn't shown at the beginning, then it DOES get 2 pass.

Also, I had never seen this "Re-Remuxing due Audio Error" and every file was getting 2 pass until I updated to MCEBuddy 2.4.2 64bit - 20150529

I don't remember enabling Hrdware encoding, but I might have. That still doesn't explain why some still get 2 pass and others don't
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2015 at 7:31 PM
I don't see 2 pass happening in either file, both files are using 1 pass because of the hardware encoder. However I did find another bug which was causing your issue with the remuxing. The log file was helpful, will fix it.

In general look for "ERROR>" and "WARNING>" to see what's out of place.
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2015 at 7:36 PM
Sorry I take that back, one of them has 2 pass where you're converting MKV to MP4. I see handbrake failed to recognize your input file and errored out.
If you still have the source MKV file can you upload it to the MCEBuddy server ? Full Metal Jacket (1987).mkv
It will help us debug this

If you can't and I undersatnd, try to download the latest nightly build of handbrake CLI from here https://handbrake.fr/nightly.php

Replace it in the handbrake directory in the MCEbuddy installation directory and run the file again with the MKV to MP4 profile. Now upload/attach the conversion log file.

thanks
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2015 at 8:53 PM
We've put a patch for the media info failing and causing the remuxing, can you try the latest 2.4.3 BETA build today and see if it fixes that remuxing issue. Then also try to download the latest handbrake nightly CLI build and see if that fixes your hardware encoding failure issue for the MKV to MP4
Jul 11, 2015 at 8:40 PM
Yes, to all.

How do I upload the file to your server?

Why is it doing a 2 pass at all if Hardware encoding is selected?

Also, if I have High Quality selected and it says 2 pass, it should do 2 pass regardless of how it's done, shouldn't it?

Why does it only do one pass?
Coordinator
Jul 11, 2015 at 8:45 PM
See the readme before posting thread for instruction.

As I mentioned hardware encoding supports on 1 pass. If hardware encoding fails it falls back to software encoding which is 2 pass.
Jul 11, 2015 at 9:12 PM
So if I want the best quality and highest compression, do I use hardware 1 pass or software 2 pass? I have the High Quality MP4 profile selected

BTW, you should change the descriptions of the conversion profiles to reflect that OR have a little dialog pop up.

I upgraded to the latest public version of Handbrake, then upgraded the CLI to latest nightly.

I also upgraded MCEBuddy to the 7/10 build of 2.4.3 64bit version

I'm uploading the file now. Says it will take about 5 hours
Jul 17, 2015 at 3:00 AM
File is uploaded to Discussion - 641043

Also, if I want the best quality and highest compression, do I use hardware 1 pass or software 2 pass? I have the High Quality MP4 profile selected
Coordinator
Jul 18, 2015 at 2:20 PM
Tested with the recommended intel driver and latest nightly build of handbrake and it works fine, no issues.

2 pass is definitely higher quality but quicksync hardware encoder doesn't support 2 pass. You can test the difference, its small, if you're real picky you'll see it.Most folks don't notice it.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 10/15/2015 at 3:10 AM