This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

New Server (6 cores vs quick sync)

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:41 AM
Im looking into rebuilding my server that pretty much just runs NPVR, MCEBuddy, and Plex.

I was looking at getting the Intel Core i7-5820K but as I understand it this processor does not support quick sync but is a 6 core and, from what I read, seems to encode pretty fast.

My question is, am I missing out on a lot without quick sync? my current system is AMD so I cant use quick sync now as well.

Also does MCEBuddy support more than 4 cores? I don't think so but seeing as almost everything that I stream trough Plex is being transcoded I am hoping the load can be better distributed over the 6 cores when I'm using Plex and MCEbuddy at the same time (feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this).
Nov 1, 2015 at 1:00 PM
My advice is go for the 6 cores but add on a nice nvidia gpu. that way you can use nvenc or the 6 cores which ever works better for you. Please see my latest ffmpeg nvenc build in the uploads folder. or you can compile it yourself using the linux scrpt or windows .bat file found here: https://github.com/rdp/ffmpeg-windows-build-helpers Also from a reliability stand point constantly running a cpu at 100% to do conversions is no good for the chip. My gtx970 only runs at about 20% video engine load when converting videos and is much much faster than my i7-4790k cpu. The intel gpu is physically located on the intel cpu chip and it is much easier to change a pci-e card than a cpu. if it fails