This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Computer Locks Up When MCEBuddy is Running

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:46 PM
I am using MCEBuddy (latest release) to convert files from HDHomerun DVR. I am using the HDHomerun H.264 profile to cut out commercials and downsize the videos (in terms of kbps not resolution). The problem I am experiencing is that my computer locks up completely when MCEBuddy is running. When I say my computer locks up completely, I mean that it does not respond at all to any input. Sometimes I get nothing but a bluescreen, other times I can see the desktop and MCEBuddy and whatever else might be running, but it doesn't respond to input and the HDD light doesn't light up at all. In order to get it working I have to do a hard shutdown. When I check the Event Viewer I see a gap between when the computer locked up and when I rebooted it. I have done quite a bit of testing to try and determine what is causing the problem and here is what I have found.
  • It mostly happens when I have MCEBuddy running to monitor my Recorded TV file. Because I only recently started using MCEBuddy, there are a lot of files to convert so it is running constantly, or at least until it locks up. If I don't have it monitoring a file and just add files to it manually, it mostly works fine. However, sometimes when I manually add files it will lock up the computer as well. It doesn't seem to be consistent.
  • At first I thought maybe it was a certain file it was getting hung up on, but removing files that it appears to get stuck on doesn't solve the problem.
  • After experiencing this problem initially, I did a reinstall of my computer, but that did not solve the problem.
  • If I leave MCEBuddy running, but with no files to work on, or if I stop the MCEBuddy service, the computer does not ever lock up on me.
  • I tried checking the event viewer, but I can't seem tell if what it is getting hung up on.
  • I also checked the MCEBuddy log files and haven't found anything conclusive there.
Additional information:
  • Computer is a ThinkCentre M93p Tiny with a dual-core 4th gen i5-4570T clocked at 2.9ghz, 128gb SSD (main drive for OS), 12gb RAM, USB 3.0 HDD enclosure with Western Digital Red 3tb HDD (for recordings).
Let me know if I can provide an additional information that might help diagnose this problem.

Thank you.
Coordinator
Jan 25, 2016 at 9:14 PM
See the Common Issues FAQ's on hanging/bluescreen/crashing. It's not MCEBuddy, it's a faulty driver. MCEBuddy stresses systems drivers and it causes them to hang/crash the system. MCEBuddy is application, applications cannot hang/crash a system. Only drivers can do that (windows design). Most likely a hard disk/chipset driver or a video driver. Uninstall them one by one till you find which is the faulty one.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:50 AM
Thanks for the info. I am going to install WinDBG as you instructed another user in the thread referenced in the FAQ's. If I upload the crash Minidump can you see if you can tell which driver is causing the issue? I'm fairly techy, but this would be treading new ground for me.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jan 26, 2016 at 1:32 AM
Use the online crash dump analysis service: