This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

MP4 conversions take 3-4 times longer than TS files

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:27 PM
Team,
First off, this product thus far has been great and I really appreciate the time and effort you all put into this. I wanted to raise a concern i am having with conversion tasks for MP4 files. I use Emby which now has the ability to transcode recordings on the fly to MP4 format. I like this because its smaller than TS and much more playback friendly. The problem I am having is that even though the format isn't changing - it literally takes 3-4 times longer to process the commercial removal. Previously, when I was converting from TS to MP4 and stripping out commercials, it would take roughly an hour.

I did setup a job to NOT convert the file format because clearly, i dont need to anymore and i hoped that would cut even more time off the task, clearly not. Has anyone else experienced this or have a suggestion that I can try to get comskip to run faster?

I can provide logs if needed. Thanks in advance
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2016 at 4:03 PM
Thank you for your support!

You can start with the custom profile. Most likely it's because you're using the stock Comskip which comes with MCEBuddy, that' has a speed limitation (30 fps, so a 1 hour show will take 1 hour for comskip to process). If you update the Donator version of Comskip it removes the speed limitation and will mostly likely solve your issue.

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:09 PM
Thanks rboy1 - i actually browsed the log file of the job after i submitted this ticket and noticed the following:
INFORMATION> --> Comskip version : FREE
WARNING> 2016-03-10T09:39:20 MCEBuddy.RemuxMediaCenter.RemuxMCERecording --> AllowH264CopyRemuxing is SLOW with the bundled Comskip. Use ShowAnalyzer or Comskip Donator version (http://www.comskip.org) to speed up commercial detection. Codec detected -> h264

TS conversions didn't have that warning - so that would explain it. No free lunches I guess. Before I donate to them (although I am sure it's worth it) I want to see how well showanalyzer does. Thanks!