This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Source for USA Comskip OTA INI's?

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:29 PM
I record USA OTA broadcasts with HDHomerun and use MCEBuddy to process the files, which works beautifully. However, as things stand right now comskip is totally unuseable for me. I have tried the stock INI and also the wilkysky INI's referenced on this forum. Cutting commercials seems totally random with many commercials not being cut at all and also I'm losing a significant portion of the actual show being recorded.

I have also looked on the comskip forum for INI's and there aren't any OTA INI's that I can find (have posted a question there as well).

I'm not very interested in spending a bunch of time trying to tune the INI, especially since I have no idea what I'm doing. I would rather just manually fast forward through the commercials if it comes to that.

Are there any other sources for INI's where I could look?
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2016 at 4:00 PM
There are a few contributed users which are available on the SHARED_INFORMATION folder on the MCEBuddy server which may help

You can use the GUI editor included to edit the InI files. Start with the detection methodology which will probably have the biggest impact. Try turning off some detection techniques.

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:03 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure you fully read my question. As stated I have tried the ini's in the shared information folder and they simply don't work that well for me. I don't want to spend a bunch of time trying to tune the ini either, but I will try changing the detection methodology and see if it works. Beyond that, I just wanted to try other user's custom ini's and was looking for another source for those beyond this forum or the comskip forum, which also doesn't have any OTA broadcast ini files.
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2016 at 5:15 PM
Yes I did, wasn't sure if you had check the folder or just picked it off the forum.
I suggested that parameter since it would reap big benefits without spending time on it.

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:18 PM
OK, thanks. I'll play with the detection methodology and see how it goes.
Mar 27, 2016 at 4:36 PM
While I can't guarantee it will work for you I also record OTA via hdhomerun tuners...specifically the very OLD HDHR-2's. I have a "comskip_all.ini" and then one I've setup for CBS since it's much more finicky...it's not 100% but it error's on the side of caution..I either get no commercials and all the show or have some commercials left...neither has truncated show for me. Let me know if they help. You didn't specify if you are using the donator version of comskip....I am and some of the parms in the ini file may be only in the donator version. I don't remember. I haven't messed with it in a while because it's been working for me. I bugged the heck out of some people to get the suggestions I used. Your local broadcast networks may also be a factor....ABC might work for me but not for you because they do something different..this is especially true for "local content" ie non prime time shows unique to your station.

Anyway....here they are:

comskip_all.ini
lowres=10
hardware_decode=0
thread_count=4
; See comskip.txt in the distribution zip file for many settable parameters, read manual.html, tuning.html and debugwindow.html for how to tune and debug comskip
detect_method=43            ;1=black frame, 2=logo, 4=scene change, 8=fuzzy logic, 16=closed captions, 32=aspect ration, 64=silence, 128=cutscenes, 255=all
validate_silence=1          ; Default, set to 0 to force using this clues if selected above.
validate_uniform=1          ; Default, set to 0 to force using this clues (like pure white frames) if blackframe is selected above.
validate_scenechange=1      ; Default, set to 0 to force using this clues if selected above.
verbose=10              ;show a lot of extra info, level 5 is also OK, set to 0 to disable
max_brightness=60               ;frame not black if any pixels checked are greater than this (scale 0 to 255)
test_brightness=40              ;frame not pure black if any pixels checked are greater than this, will check average brightness (scale 0 to 255)
max_avg_brightness=25           ;maximum average brightness for a dim frame to be considered black (scale 0 to 255) 0 means autosetting
max_commercialbreak=600         ;maximum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
min_commercialbreak=25          ;minimum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
max_commercial_size=125         ;maximum time in seconds for a single commercial or multiple commercials if no breaks in between
min_commercial_size=4           ;mimimum time in seconds for a single commercial
min_show_segment_length=250     ; any segment longer than this will be scored towards show.
non_uniformity=500          ; Set to 0 to disable cutpoints based on uniform frames
max_volume=0                ; any frame with sound volume larger than this will not be regarded as black frame
min_silence=12              ; Any deep silence longer than this amount  of frames is a possible cutpoint
ticker_tape=0               ; Amount of pixels from bottom to ignore in all processing 
logo_at_bottom=0            ; Set to 1 to search only for logo at the lower half of the video, do not combine with subtitle setting
punish=0                    ; Compare to average for sum of 1=brightness, 2=uniform 4=volume, 8=silence, 16=schange, set to 0 to disable
punish_threshold=1.3        ; Multiply when amount is above average * punish_threshold
punish_modifier=2           ; When above average * threshold multiply score by this value
intelligent_brightness=1        ; Set to 1 to use a USA specific algorithm to tune some of the settings, not adviced outside the USA
logo_percentile=0.92            ; if more then this amount of logo is found then logo detection will be disabled
logo_threshold=0.75
punish_no_logo=1            ; Default, set to 0 to avoid show segments without logo to be scored towards commercial
aggressive_logo_rejection=0
connect_blocks_with_logo=1      ; set to 1 if you want successive blocks with logo on the transition to be regarded as connected, set to 0 to disable
logo_filter=0               ; set the size of the filter to apply to bad logo detection, 4 seems to be a good value.
cut_on_ar_change=2          ; set to 1 if you want to cut also on aspect ratio changes when logo is present, set to 2 to force cuts on aspect ratio changes. set to 0 to disable
delete_show_after_last_commercial=0 ; set to 1 if you want to delete the last block if its a show and after a commercial
delete_show_before_or_after_current=1   ; set to 1 if you want to delete the previous and the next show in the recording, this can lead to the deletion of trailers of next show
delete_block_after_commercial=0 ;set to max size of block in seconds to be discarded, set to 0 to disable 
remove_before=0             ; amount of seconds of show to be removed before ALL commercials
remove_after=0              ; amount of seconds of show to be removed after ALL commercials
shrink_logo=5               ; Reduce the duration of the logo with this amount of seconds
after_logo=0        ; set to number of seconds after logo disappears comskip should start to search for silence to insert an additional cutpoint
padding=0
ms_audio_delay=5
volume_slip=40
skip_b_frames=0             ; Set to 1 to force Comskip to skip frames for higher processing speed.
max_repair_size=200         ; Will repair maximum 200 missing MPEG frames in the timeline, set to 0 to disable repairing for players that don't use PTS. 
disable_heuristics=4        bit pattern for disabling heuristics, adding 1 disables heristics 1, adding 2 disables heristics 2, adding 4 disables heristics 3, 255  disables all heuristics 
delete_logo_file=0          ; set to 1 if you want comskip to tidy up after finishing
output_framearray=0         ; create a big excel file for detailed analysis, set to 0 to disable
output_data=0               ; create a dump of the user data channel, used for CC and XDS (such as V-Chip info). Can be use together with output_framearray to remote debug CC decoding
output_videoredo=0          ; The old videoredo format
output_videoredo3=0         ; The new videoredo v3 format.
output_womble=0
output_mls=0            ; set to 1 if you want MPeg Video Wizard bookmark file output
output_cuttermaran=0
output_mpeg2schnitt=0
output_mpgtx=0
output_dvrcut=0
output_zoomplayer_chapter=0
output_zoomplayer_cutlist=0
output_edl=1
output_dvrmstb=0            ; Set to 1 if you're running DVRMS-Toolbox
output_edlx=0
output_vcf=0
output_bsplayer=0
output_btv=0                ; set to 1 if you want Beyond TV chapter cutlist output
output_projectx=0           ; set to 1 if you want ProjectX cutlist output (Xcl)
output_avisynth=0
output_vdr=0                ; set to 1 if you want XBMC to skipping commercials
output_demux=0              ; set to 1 if you want comskip to demux the mpeg file while scanning
sage_framenumber_bug=0
sage_minute_bug=0
live_tv=0                   ; set to 1 if you use parallelprocessing and need the output while recording
live_tv_retries=4           ; change to 16 when using live_tv in BTV, used for mpeg PS and TS
dvrms_live_tv_retries=300           ; only used for dvr_ms
standoff=0                  ; change to 8000000 when using live_tv in BTV
cuttermaran_options="cut=\"true\" unattended=\"true\" muxResult=\"false\" snapToCutPoints=\"true\" closeApp=\"true\""
mpeg2schnitt_options="mpeg2schnitt.exe /S /E /R25  /Z %2 %1"
avisynth_options="LoadPlugin(\"MPEG2Dec3.dll\") \nMPEG2Source(\"%s\")\n"
dvrcut_options="dvrcut \"%s.dvr-ms\" \"%s_clean.dvr-ms\" "
windowtitle="Comskip - %s"
comskip_cbs.ini can be found at http://pastebin.com/gMhRXPgz as it was getting truncated due to post length.
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2016 at 4:41 PM
Thanks, uploaded both to the SHARED_INFORMATION link on the website under the Comskip INI folder (USA CBS Famewolf.ini and USA Famewolf.ini)

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 5/20/2016 at 2:30 PM
Mar 28, 2016 at 11:54 PM
Thanks famewolf, I'll give those a try.
Mar 30, 2016 at 12:41 PM
Thanks famewolf. After watching 2-3 shows your comskip ini's seem to work quite well. CBS still leaves a few commercials in (because of the cbs logo on some commercials?) but no part of the actual shows were cut out.
Mar 31, 2016 at 4:54 AM
Edited Mar 31, 2016 at 4:57 AM
Glad those helped! If you find additional tweaks please pass them on. THanks rboy1 for putting them where folks can find them.

Yes CBS is a major pain and comskip isn't set up to IGNORE logo totally or I'd have it use scene changes and aspect ratio changes without looking at the logo for them. They include the logo in some of the commercials and sometimes don't enable the logo until 10 seconds into the show but as you said at it's current settings it does err on the side of leaving some commercials in which I can still FF in mediaportal when I play them. The ini gui editor included with comskip is supposed to let you pull in a show and see where it's marking commercials...you can always try making adjustments for the specific shows and make an ini that works just for them.

If you find some of the show is being cut off right at the beginning or end first check the time on your recording pc to make sure it's accurate then you can also alter your recordings to make sure they record a few extra minutes before and after the show...that will all get cut off when you do the conversion. I do have extra tuners to allow for that but they've gotten really cheap...at least the last hdhr-2 I picked up was only $25.