This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

iPhone TV Show Artwork / Skin Not Shown

Mar 27, 2016 at 2:26 PM
When I transfer WTV Windows Media Center TV show files to MP4s using MCEBuddy, the files generated seem work fine within the iPhone. However, when I transfer the files to the iPhone, there is no artwork within the TV show screen icon. There is just a grey Box with the show title.

I thought I read previously that this was a known problem but I could not find it again listed within the website to confirm so I wanted to see if this is a current limitation of using MCEBuddy, or maybe this is just an issue with my setup.
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2016 at 2:50 PM
Sorry didn't understand:

> the files generated seem work fine within the iPhone. However, when I transfer the files to the iPhone, there is no artwork within the TV show screen icon

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:14 PM
If would be easiest if I could insert an image. When I select the "insert image" from the options here, I just get:

Is the only way to insert an image is if I am referencing it within a website? I would like to insert an image from my PC but it does not seem to give me that option.

What I am trying to state is when I go into my iPhone, under Videos - TV Shows, all the TV Shows that I transferred from my PC to iPhone using MP4 files generated out of MCEBuddy are present. However, they are only depicted with a grey box icon with the show title listed, there is now artwork / image on the icon representing that TV show.
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2016 at 4:20 PM
Okay I understand, when you go into iTunes do you see the art work in the library?

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:19 PM
yes the art work is present in itunes
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2016 at 5:47 PM
Sorry no idea then

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:37 PM
This appears to be a bug with iTunes. The artwork is present, can be re-added and it still doesn't show. Every now and then itunes will resync all the artwork and some shows then work, and some do not.

The only workaround I have found is to uncheck Sync Shows and sync, wiping them from your phone. Then re-checking the box and resyncing again.

But this is only a temp fix. I've even tried some old options on the web like clearing the cache for iTunes...but no luck.

I've just learned to live with it, the hard part is when you see "iZombie" click on that show and it is really "Castle" Sometimes it syncs what it wants too. Issue for me started with iOS 9 then went away, until I started beta testing 9.2.
Mar 28, 2016 at 12:55 AM
Edited Mar 28, 2016 at 12:56 AM
rboy1 - can you confirm if iTunes is pulling in this artwork when I first add the MP4 files generated out of MCEBuddy, or are you adding this as part of MCEBuddy?

I don't question the input that MNSearcher provided, but when I removed the shows from my iPhone and re-sync'd it did not change. Per another thread online (see below) I found related to this problem, someone said that artwork had to be close to a 4:4 or 4:3 image ratio. I created a custom picture that was square from the web, went into iTunes and replaced the artwork with the new square one that I created, and this time when I synced to the iPhone, the image icon showed correctly. That is, the grey icon with the title show listed was replaced with the square image artwork that I could see in iTunes. Therefore, I am trying to figure out when does this artwork get attached to the MP4 file - within MCEBuddy or iTunes? If done within MCEBuddy, then maybe there is a way to modify what types of artwork are pulled into the MP4 file.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ios9/comments/3mf0ht/artwork_for_tv_shows_not_showing/
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2016 at 1:06 AM
MCEBuddy is adding it to the MP4 files and if you can see it in iTunes, that's about all MCEBuddy can do.
@MSNSeracher basically said it's an iTunes sync problem, remove all your files from your device and resync it.

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:15 AM
MNSearcher - can you confirm that you have had success in using MP4 files generated out of MCEBuddy in which the artwork correctly displays in iTunes AND also correctly shows up on an iPhone? And, when you suggested your fix, did this fix MP4 files that were also generated our of MCEBuddy, or what this just a general fix solution related to all potential files that are synch'd between iTunes and iPhones?

Based upon the number of issues that I found online regards to this (most of which I am sure 99% are not using MCEBuddy that is related to their problem,, I don't disagree that in some cases re-synching may fix some of the issues that exist. Based upon my testing, I think that there are multiple potential causes and potential solutions. I have yet to have a MCEBuddy MP4 generated file correctly show the artwork on the iPhone. My testing showed that as soon as I change the artwork to a square format, then it correctly shows up on the iPhone.
Mar 28, 2016 at 2:10 AM
Sorry what shooter71 is saying is true. I thought he was referring to something I had been seeing with iOS 9.X

Back with, I think iOS version 8, coverart that wasn't in 4x4 or 4x3 shows does not sync to iOS devices. I thought there was some conversations about this a couple of years ago. I wasn't going to ask RBOY1 to rewrite the process since no one else was complaining.

It has been so long that I am just gotten used to going out and grabbing the squarish type cover art manually from sites like (storing it in the cache folder(

https://bendodson.com/projects/itunes-artwork-finder/index.html
and
http://squaredtvart.tumblr.com

Movie cover art that isn't squarish sync's just fine. But TV shows changed a while back.

I think tv.com and thetvdb.com only contain Poster type cover art.

FYI the CACHE folder gets removed with the uninstall process. So I created a batch to backup the folder and then recopy it after a new install.

Sorry for the confusion.
Mar 28, 2016 at 2:11 AM
With iOS 9.x sometimes no matter what kind of art...it just doesn't sync correctly. A removal and resync seems to fix that.
Mar 28, 2016 at 2:19 AM
rboy1 - I would appreciate if you would consider making this into a future update.

MNSearcher - thanks for the help clarifying the issue. When you copy in the square'ish type cover art does MCEBuddy always then pull into this cached cover-art for every new file generated so you only have to do it once? If so, I am assuming that that MCEBuddy goes to the cache folder first looking for art and if it does not find anything, it goes and looks to the web. However, if it finds something in the cache folder, it just uses it and does not search for anything else.
Mar 28, 2016 at 3:30 AM
SHOOTER71 - Correct if the cache file exists (Banner) it uses that over the Banner URL image, since an image already exists

Log file looks like this -
Banner: C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\cache\The Good Wife.jpg
Banner URL: http://www.thetvdb.com/banners/posters/95451-8.jpg

Just keep in mind, like I mentioned in a previous post, the cache file is deleted with an uninstall. So I am continuously making a copy of the CACHE folder.

I run this batch file containing this at the top of each hour -

FOR %%a IN ("C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\cache*.*") DO IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x - Copy\cache\%%~nxa" COPY "C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\cache\%%~nxa" "C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x - Copy\cache"

Between extracted images, movies, and tv shows. My CACHE folder contains 459 files :) I know... I need to remove old shows :)
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 5/20/2016 at 2:32 PM