This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Comskip slows down tremendously when doing simultaneous conversions

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:14 AM
I just started using the latest early access version of MCEBuddy, and the latest Donator comskip. For typical one-hour US network shows, I am seeing each conversion take 3-4 minutes for comskip commercial detection. However, when I run two simultaneous MCEB conversions, each one takes about 16 minutes for comskip -- more than four times as long!

Comskip does not appear to overly tax my CPU - task manager shows only about 40% or less CPU utilization from comskip. I use an 8-core AMD cpu, and have comskip set to use 4 threads.

Simultaneous conversions is a nice feature, but the added comskip time is making it too slow to be helpful for me. Is this comskip slowdown normal? I don't recall seeing such slowness for multiple conversions on earlier MCEBuddy versions (I had not previously updated my version in the last year or two). Any suggestions to make simultaneous conversions run faster?

Thank you,
Apr 30, 2016 at 7:30 AM
Tune your comskip.ini file and maybe get the newer or older version of comskip. No changes to the scheduling mechanism

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I see no tuning options in comskip.ini that would be likely to have any impact on processing speed specifically for multiple simultaneous runs, other than perhaps the multithreading - I tried various thread count options, none of them solved the issue. I have the newest comskip, will try an old version. If that does not help, I will just avoid multiple simultaneous conversions.
Apr 30, 2016 at 6:50 PM
probably a good question to post on the comskip forum also. Are you using donator or free version of comskip?