This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

HD settings

May 2, 2016 at 4:20 PM
I usually record in SD to save hard drive space. Now that they came out with 8 terabyte drive for cheap ! I want to record in HD.
If I download a show in HD on the Internet a hour TV show is around 500 megs. Does MCEbuddy have a setting to achieve this ?
Coordinator
May 2, 2016 at 7:29 PM
Size depends upon bitrate and resolution. You can have an "HD" show that's 500MB or 50GB depending upon the above and you can configure those in MCEBuddy.

May 2, 2016 at 8:18 PM
Is MKV FAST used on the HD file to make it the smallest while still being HD
Coordinator
May 2, 2016 at 10:56 PM
I think you should spend some time understanding video quality. HD is an arbitrary concept which is vague at best and could refer to resolution. Bitrate is a more realistic concept of quality but actual quality is a function of both. Low resolution makes it fuzzy and low bitrate makes it blocky. And it depends upon codec also.

At 720p you should gun for 1000kbps for MPEG4 AVC (h.264) codec. That would give you a impression of "HD" quality. At 1080p it should be 3000kbps. (It's non linear)

Again encoding time and quality/size are trade offs. More time is smaller size and better quality.

Of you want the highest quality and smallest size use the high quality profiles. But it will take and enormous amount of time (unless you have hardware acceleration).

Fast profiles on the other hand are fast but the file sizes and bigger and of lesser quality.

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 5/20/2016 at 2:29 PM