This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Bottom half of encodes are green :(

May 25, 2016 at 10:33 PM
All of a sudden, the bottom half of my encodes are green. My computer - following that, I've started seeing encode problems. Since then, I've re-installed MCEBuddy, the tools, and the donator version of ComSkip. No luck. It only seems to happen with the profile that uses Comskip however.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! Will.
May 25, 2016 at 11:05 PM
no idea, likely a graphics corruption, the only green you should see are the ones being converted. Nothing to do with any profile (atleast from a code perspective)

May 26, 2016 at 5:25 AM
I figured out how to fix it, but not why it was happening. On a hunch, I tried doing a system restore to a previous restore point. That corrected the issue. The only software I'd installed since that restore point was Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise with Update 2. Is it possible that some of the C++ libraries corrupted things?
May 27, 2016 at 3:09 AM
So I spoke too soon (or looked at the wrong encode). The bottom half of some encodes are still green. It only seems to occur when the profile uses ComSkip. I've replaced ComSkip, but still haven't found the solution. Any ideas?
May 27, 2016 at 3:39 AM
What exactly do you mean by bottom half? Are you taking about the GUI or the encoded video?

If it's encoded video then looks like your source video may be corrupted (open the log file and you'll see a ton of conversion errors). You could also try to update the underlying encoder you're using (what profile and what encoder are you using)

May 27, 2016 at 3:40 AM
Also are you using hardware encoding ? If so turn it off. Graphics drivers are a big culprit in bad encoding.

May 27, 2016 at 3:27 PM
Edited May 27, 2016 at 3:29 PM
Having the same issue with 2.4.5 using NVENC and driver GFX_Win7_8.1_10_64_15.40.23.4444

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6ukGBmMaOl6X1ZVbkNOeE43Q28
May 27, 2016 at 3:51 PM
Have you tried turning off the hardware encoding option?

May 27, 2016 at 4:33 PM
all, I am also experiencing the same issue. I started a different thread called "mp4 converson files are corrupted." It would seem something has changed in our systems or the program. I am curious if others that have installed any NVIDIA Drivers that just came out on 05-23-16 (or at least that is when I installed them on my system). There were about 6 that installed on my W7 machine on 05-23 at that is when my problem started.
May 27, 2016 at 5:03 PM
It did seem to begin after installing the 5-23 NVidia drivers. I'm away from that machine right now, so I won't be able to test. What confuses me is that it only seems to occur when use commercial removal with Comskip. The profiles I have that don't use comskip don't seem to show the corruption. Will try to downgrade the graphics drivers once I get back.

Thanks! Will.
May 28, 2016 at 10:45 AM
It's definitely the NVidia drivers - I downgraded to the 5-13 version of the drivers, and the green in the bottom half of the encodes vanished.

I haven't done anything with enabling hardware decode - how do I disable it?

Thanks! Will.
May 28, 2016 at 4:47 PM
Conversion Task -> Expert settings. Why disable when you can use working drivers?

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:05 AM
Hi,

I am seeing the samething, Had to turn off hardware converting switch.

Harry
Jun 20, 2016 at 3:09 AM
Use a recommended driver version

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 7/26/2016 at 8:44 AM
Jun 20, 2016 at 7:29 AM
I upgraded to the latest WHQL version of the NVidia drivers. I'm still getting a green tint on the bottom half of the encoded videos. My work-around is to turn off hardware encoding, but that obviously makes it a lot slower. I'm running Windows 10 and have a GTX 780. I'm running the latest release drivers, dated 6/7 - v368.39. Does NVidia care about stuff like this, or does it need to get fixed at the FFMpeg level?

Thanks! Will.
Jun 20, 2016 at 1:32 PM
Like I said use the recommended version, not the latest version. There was a version recommended by a user recently. Try that one. Latest drivers aren't always the best. In fact when I have a working version I rarely ever update them unless I have a problem since they tend to break stuff.

Jun 25, 2016 at 4:58 PM
Hi,

Trying to help others here - had a similar issue, stepped back by installing the CUDA SDK - which uses v7.5 of CUDA (newer drivers seem to use v8). It fixed the issue for me!
Jun 27, 2016 at 8:44 PM
To clarify, you're using the current SDK with the latest GeForce drivers?

Thanks! Will.
Jun 28, 2016 at 1:30 AM
Nope! I installed the current SDK (v7.5), and that backs the driver up to v353.90 => that fixed it for me.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 7/26/2016 at 8:44 AM
Jul 3, 2016 at 1:00 AM
Edited Jul 3, 2016 at 1:39 AM
I haven't encoded anything lately until yesterday and I have the green bottom as well. I don't use Comskip but I am using the newest drivers as I play new games and they are needed for them. I did have hardware acceleration enabled but I have turned it off and I am testing now if that cures it. If I want to play the games I have to have the newest drivers or the games won't play well.

I will report back after conversion.

EDIT:
OK that did the trick and although it did take a little longer, 35 minutes to convert 1 hour 1080 wtv 5.1 to 720 mkv 5.1 vs. about 25-30 minutes before, that's not too bad.

Just for FYI, I have a nvidia 980 TI FTW card running drivers 368.39 which is current driver.
Jul 3, 2016 at 3:21 PM
Unfortunately that's a bug with NVidia. Nothing to do with MCEBuddy. I understand the predicament but all I can suggest is start working backwards one version at a time until you find a version that doesn't have the hardware encoding bug and works fine for your games.

Personally I just find a stable version and stick to it. Even with gaming I've found huge variances with stability and performance of NVidia driver versions and latest is not always the greatest.

Jul 3, 2016 at 5:54 PM
Yep, agreed rboy1 - was just letting folks know a version that I found works. I assume the issue is going from CUDA v7.5 to v8?

Thanks!
Jul 6, 2016 at 12:32 AM
If you have the v353.90 drivers, (x86 and x64) can you upload them to the MCEBuddy server, we'll host them for everyone to use.

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:49 AM
Hi,

Unfortunately I don't - but installed CUDA from here ... https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

The driver seems to be part of the overall package - so just point to this site?

Thanks!
Jul 6, 2016 at 1:08 AM
Hmm looks like they don't even support x86 anymore

Jul 6, 2016 at 1:09 AM
I noticed that as well - seems odd, no?