This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Conversion Task Deleting Source File Unexpectedly - Bug?

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:56 PM
Edited Jun 1, 2016 at 8:20 PM
I have two conversion tasks that run specifically to move some sports shows around like I want. I'm having a problem with the 2nd one deleting the source file when (I think) it should be leaving it in place after conversion. Here's the general process:
  1. The first conversion task "DVR Sports" monitors 3 network locations (via 3 linked monitor tasks) for sports shows. If found, it uses MKV Unprocessed profile to remux, rename, and move the file to a new folder "Sports Recorded". The monitor tasks are set to delete original files.
    NOTE: Conversion task is set to skip copying original file.
    See link to DVR SPORTS LOG file here.
  2. The second conversion task "Working Sports" monitors the destination folder from #1 above, the "Sports Recorded" folder, for any new files via a linked monitor task ("SportsTemp"). If found, it uses the "rename without converting" option to detect ads & create an EDL file (via Comskip), then copy the file to another "Working" destination folder. The "SportsTemp" monitor task is NOT set to delete original files.
    NOTE: Conversion task is set to skip copying original file.
    See link to WORKING SPORTS LOG file here.
Also, see link to MCEBUDDY LOG file here.

So basically, the first conversion task processes a recording to provide a source file for the second task. The first conversion task processes as expected, no issues. However, the second conversion task is deleting its source file (i.e. the file created by the first conversion task). Based on the options I've selected, it shouldn't be doing this I don't think. Is this a bug or did I do something wrong?

I noted that in both conversion tasks I have chosen NOT to copy original files (to save time). I thought that might be the culprit, but when I switched this setting and tried again, it didn't seem to matter. What am I missing?
Jun 1, 2016 at 8:14 PM
First up, very impressive use and setup of MCEBuddy, you've mastered the art of daisy chaining and linking :)

I went through your logs. Taking the sample files you've uploaded (and thanks for the detailed explanation and logs which were very helpful), the original file College Football_SECN_2016_05_31_22_58_00.wtv was deleted after conversion (as per the settings). The converted file is picked up and reconverted. However from the logs I don't see MCEBuddy deleting College Football SEC Network HDTV se.mkv, the original converted file. Are you sure it's not some other program deleting it?

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:28 PM
I saw the same in the logs which is why I was confused. But yes I'm positive nothing else is deleting it. In fact, I went to another PC running MCEBuddy and set up a test case to duplicate this. The results were the same.

Now, here's the interesting part and this might be a good clue for you to figure out what's happening. What I said in my original post about switching the "don't copy original" setting is apparently not correct after all. On my test machine, I unchecked this option in the "Working Sports" conversion task and BINGO! The original (converted) file remains in the "Sports Recorded" folder just as I planned. I can live with this if it will work, just takes a little longer with large files (football games are loooonnnnggggg) but still don't understand why the first method wasn't successful.
Jun 1, 2016 at 9:05 PM
Will try to replicate it. If you can upload your mcebuddy.conf file it will be super help and save us a ton of effort.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:17 AM
Edited Jun 2, 2016 at 12:25 AM
OK, now I've got the right one uploaded....

SEE HERE as requested. If you need anything else, let me know.
Jun 3, 2016 at 8:07 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2016 at 8:08 PM
FYI, I just noticed something regarding this question. When I hover my pointer over the "Rename without converting" check box, the help message includes this statement:
If you want to move instead of copy, check the Skip copying original option in Expert Settings on this page or select Delete original file in the main settings page.
So now this makes me think perhaps this is actually expected behavior after all? Even though I didn't have "Delete original file" selected, perhaps using "Rename without converting" in combination with "Skip copying original file" essentially equates to "move the file"? I suppose it kinda makes sense when you consider the use of both options together, but just not crystal clear that this will happen unless you read carefully.
Jun 3, 2016 at 11:20 PM
I was just about to respond, after debugging it that's what we found. You're moving the original file instead of creating a copy hence it's disappearing.

Marked as answer by ktide1 on 6/3/2016 at 10:19 PM
Jun 4, 2016 at 6:20 AM
Thanks for following up!