This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Problem getting artwork

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:43 PM
It seems that I cannot retreive posters, fanart etc. from thetvdb.com. My recorded shows are in french with spécial charecter like "é" so Mcebuddy log files gives errors like:

--> No match found, checking for special characters in the Title
--> Found special characters in the Title, trying to match Title information after removing special characters : énial !
--> No match found on TVDB

The show exist on TVDB, but the search return nothing to mcebuddy. Maybe it does'nt do a search il all languages???

Also having other errors in the log. Im on a french version of windows...

--> Dumping complete information about the file D:\TV enregistrée\Génial !_CIVMD_2016_08_09_01_34_00.wtv
2016-08-09T02:43:52 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Launching process C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\ffmpeg\ffprobe.exe
2016-08-09T02:43:52 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Process arguments -hide_banner -probesize 100M -analyzeduration 300M -i "D:\TV enregistrée\Génial !_CIVMD_2016_08_09_01_34_00.wtv"
2016-08-09T02:43:52 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> UI Session Admin Process : False
2016-08-09T02:43:52 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> Setting process priority to Normal
2016-08-09T02:43:52 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Base --> D:\TV enregistrée\Génial !_CIVMD_2016_08_09_01_34_00.wtv: No such file or directory
--> Process exited with code 1
INFORMATION> 2016-08-09T02:43:54 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Exécute des commandes personnalisées
2016-08-09T02:43:54 MCEBuddy.Transcode.CustomCommand --> Custom command parameters read ->
PreMetaCustomCommandPath =
PreMetaCustomCommandParameters =
PreMetaCustomCommandHangPeriod = 300
PreMetaCustomCommandCritical = False
PreMetaCustomCommandUISession = False
PreMetaCustomCommandShowWindow = True
PreMetaCustomCommandExitCodeCheck = False
INFORMATION> 2016-08-09T02:43:54 MCEBuddy.Transcode.CustomCommand --> No custom commands found
2016-08-09T02:43:54 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Finished pre metadata custom command, source file size [KB] 6,507,008.00
INFORMATION> 2016-08-09T02:43:54 MCEBuddy.Engine.ConversionJob --> Getting information spectacle et bannière de sources sur Internet
2016-08-09T02:43:54 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Extracting metadata from file -> D:\TV enregistrée\Génial !_CIVMD_2016_08_09_01_34_00.wtv
INFORMATION> 2016-08-09T02:43:54 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Extracting MCE Tags
2016-08-09T02:43:54 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Extracting Windows Media Center metadata
WARNING> 2016-08-09T02:43:54 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Error reading WM Artwork -> System.ArgumentNullException: Buffer cannot be null.
Coordinator
Aug 10, 2016 at 6:14 PM
that last error is normal, nothing to do with your special characters, MCEbuddy is just unable to extract the image from the WTV file. Some files are like that and cannot be read. No much can be done about it. WTV is a closed proprietary format so it's the best we can do is using the Windows filters, if the filters can't extract it, that's about it.

For TVDB yes it should match all languages, can you upload your conversion log and we'll try to replicate the issue. Also send me the link to the TVDB page for the show.

Aug 10, 2016 at 6:50 PM
here's the link to the log file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2CW_shcsLePQkZXUHlBWkJWdnM/view?usp=sharing

Here's the link to the show:

http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=275254&lid=17

I have other example too if you want.
thanks
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2016 at 9:54 PM
Seems to be an issue with Unicode. Can you please cut 10MB using the file splitter link on the MCEBuddy website and upload the FIRST 10mb chunk to the MCEbuddy server for us to analyse. thanks.

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:48 PM
Any update on that?

Does an english version of Windows could get rid of this error?
Coordinator
Aug 15, 2016 at 5:32 PM
Awaiting your confirmation. Did you upload the WTV cut?

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:37 PM
oops sorry. It seems that my reply has never been posted.

Here's the link to the first 10MB chunk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2CW_shcsLePVGNabjREcFpyYXc (google drive link since I did not know where to upload it on your server.

many thanks
Coordinator
Aug 15, 2016 at 8:19 PM
Okay checked it out, the issue is that there is a space between the Génial and ! in your metadata hence TVDB is unable to match it up. If MCEBuddy removes the ! even then TVDB can't find the series.
I don't see any clean way out of this programatically.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:15 PM
weird because i just took another random file and i have the same error

2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Trying to match nPVR/SiliconDust series showname -> Belle et Bum_CIVMDT_2016_08_14_19_28_00
2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Looking for Season/Episode information in text
2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Trying to match nPVR movie showname -> Belle et Bum_CIVMDT_2016_08_14_19_28_00
2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Trying to extract generic nPVR filename details -> Belle et Bum_CIVMDT_2016_08_14_19_28_00
2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Invalid nPVR generic filename
2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Looking for Season/Episode information in text
2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Video Tags extracted from file/name metadata ->
Title: Belle et Bum
SubTitle: #150 Belle et Bum
Description: Lou Doillon présente les chansons de son deuxième album; Boogat délaisse la chaleur du Mexique et vient prendre un petit coup d'hiver; la musique de l'artiste torontois Scott Helman.

Episode #150
Network: CIVMDT (CIVM-DT)
Network Affiliate:
Parental Rating:
Media Credits: ;;Normand Brathwaite/Mélissa Lavergne;
Genres: Music,Entertainment,Series
Season: 0
Episode: 0
Banner:
Banner URL:
IMDB Id:
MovieDB Id:
TVDB Id:
Is Show Movie: False
Is Show Sports: False
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2016-03-05T00:00:00
RecordedDateTime: 2016-08-15T00:05:51
SeriesPremiereDate: 1899-12-31T19:00:00
CopyProtected: False
SageTV FileID:
SageTV MediaFileID:

2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking for metadata title and series correction
INFORMATION> 2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Downloading Series details
2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Meta correction results, dont' overwrite title -> False
INFORMATION> 2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Recording Type Show
INFORMATION> 2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking TheTVDB
--> Found special characters in the Title, trying to match Title information after removing special characters : elle et um
WARNING> 2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> TheTVDB failed
INFORMATION> 2016-08-14T21:15:53 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Checking TV.com
--> Found special characters in the Title, trying to match Title information after removing special characters : elle et um
--> No match found on TV.com
--> No match found on TV.com
Coordinator
Aug 16, 2016 at 1:12 AM
That's because there is no episode called "SubTitle: #150 Belle et Bum" on the theTVDB.com. Your metadata provider is sending wrong information. There isn't even any Season or Episode number in your metadata that MCEBuddy can match up with from TVDB.

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2016 at 5:51 AM
Also while your metadata has the original broadcast date:
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 2016-03-05T00:00:00

tvdb doesn't have it, so again nothing to match.
Aug 17, 2016 at 7:07 PM
Will it be possible to enable a script (custom command) to run if no match are found on TVDB? That script could grab a frame of the show and save it as poster.jpg ?
Coordinator
Aug 17, 2016 at 8:37 PM
That's a difficult answer because the question itself so complex. Apart from the logistics of "how" to tell MCEbuddy to run a script (through the profile, if so then under what condition, TVDB failure, IMDB failure, single failure, multiple failures? Then there's a question of what's a failure? Couldn't find a show? Found the show but can't get all details, one details? What about existing posters in the cache? See where there logical issues issues lie here.

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:36 PM
I see ....

I Will still thinking of a workaround .... Thanks for your help and prompt response
Sep 1, 2016 at 7:12 AM
Edited Sep 1, 2016 at 7:26 AM
Greetings:

Regarding this 'unfound' issue...

I record a lot of really locally oriented material from a translator here in the mountains and naturally a lot of the stuff is a mystery. There's nothing to do about that.

I'm using the Custom Renaming string to place TV Shows and Movies in an appropriate Plex directory structure and that works fine when I'm able to get a match. The problem is when there is no match to be made Buddy continues as though it's a TV Show creating:
My TV Show Library/The Unknown Show/Season/The Unknown Show - SE.mp4
This makes it invisible to Plex.

This would be seen by Plex.
My Movie Library/The Unknown Title.mp4

If there was a way to force an unmatched item into my Movies directory Plex would at least see it even if it can't be matched. I think this would also address royfra's issue. It seems we both are dealing with a fair amount of 'Mystery' material that isn't in an online database.
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2016 at 1:35 AM
In the conversion task expert settings you can force the show type to movie.

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2016 at 1:41 AM
In the conversion task expert settings you can force the show type to movie.

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:39 AM
Edited Sep 2, 2016 at 4:43 AM
I see that setting. I have changed it to 'Movie'. It was set to 'Default'. I assume the 'default' setting is TV Show?

So this string will still work when a match can be found, and when a match can't be found the file will be treated as a Movie instead of a TV Show?

%ismovie%<MCEB-Movies\%showname%,MCEB-TV\%showname%\Season %season%\%showname% - S%season%##E%episode%##>

... if that is the case - that was easy.... :)
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2016 at 4:46 AM
See the pop up help, it overrides the settings in the metadata.

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:47 AM
So everything is going to be a Movie? Regardless of the naming string?
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2016 at 5:08 AM
Yes, see the pop up help. You should create different conversion tasks and use filters to separate your shows and then use the metadata forcing options.

Sep 2, 2016 at 5:23 AM
Well... that doesn't work for me then.

As it stands right now it's all working fine - automatically. When a TV Show is recorded that can be matched it is written as:

MCEB-TV/A Matched Show/Season 01/A Matched Show - S01E01.mp4
Plex finds this show - it's perfect.

When a Movie is recorded that can be matched it goes here:
MCEB-Movies/A Matched Movie.mp4
Plex again is happy. Item found and indexed. I haven't added the (YEAR) part to my string yet, but that doesn't matter right now.

When a match can not be made Buddy does this:
MCEB-TV/An Unmatched Show/Season/An Unmatched Show - SE.mp4
This is invisible to Plex. Plex can't deal with:
Season/
or
An Unmatched Show - SE.mp4
Plex is very inflexible with a TV Show library. The items have to be exact and proper in their format or Plex simply can't find them.

All I need is for Buddy to stop putting unmatched items into MCEB-TV in a partial TV Show format and put them instead into MCEB-Movies in a Movie format.

I guess I'll just stick with what I have. Everything is fine and automatic (hands free) as long as a match is found. If no match is made the recording is invisible to Plex and must be found and renamed/moved to MCEB-Movies so Plex can see it.

Unfortunate.
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2016 at 1:07 PM
Yeah that's because of the way metadata behaves. There is no flag for tv shows. There is a flag for sports and movies. Hence if there is no flag it is assumed to be a tv show.

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:24 AM
Over the last few weeks I've been experimenting...

Knowing the shortcomings of WMC metadata that is totally dependent on the local station listing it correctly (rarely in my location) I have gone so far as to rename my WTV files before turning them over to Buddy. Buddy by-passes an absolutely correct and match-able file name and insists on using the bogus metadata within the WTV file resulting in no match and as such a program that is invisible to Plex with an invalid file name/structure like:

Show Name/
.............Season/
................Show Name - SE - Bogus Episode Name.XXX

What would really be cool is for Buddy to at least attempt to match the file name first, then if that fails continue to attempt a match with the metadata. In my case I pretty much know what won't match through the metadata and pre-process those files with VideoReDo TV Suite 5, trimming the unwanted bits and renaming the file for a perfect match, when possible, and if not possible I rename the file to a Movie Format like: Unknown Movie (YEAR).wtv. We already know an invalid TV Show file name/structure will be invisible to Plex, but an un-match-able Movie name may not match, but will at least show up in Plex. Unfortunately these efforts are a complete waste of time requiring manual post processing as well as manual Pre-Processing.

Another option, if possible, would be a switch to disable metadata inspection entirely wherein Buddy ONLY considers the file name for a match.

I realize I'm in a sort of 'niche' group of users... just something to ponder and perhaps consider.

Thanks
Coordinator
Oct 20, 2016 at 12:35 AM
There is one way to force metadata updates is by using the XML or NFO files. If found MCEBuddy will overwrite any extracted metadata with that. Using filenames to rename them isn't the most scalable way to make this happen. So the option of overwriting does already exist but it needs an add on metadata file to make it happen (to ensure that the user intends to do it).

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:04 PM
Edited Dec 12, 2016 at 5:07 PM
I keep coming back to this good old thread because this continues to annoy as I desperately try to keep this process automated.

MCEBuddy bypasses a perfect, matchable name, insisting on using bogus metadata from within WTV files no one has any control over.

How 'bout this:

In this Custom Rename String - that works fine if the TV Station happens to give it a name in the metadata that matches a listing with an online database - would it be possible to add a function when no match occurs?

For instance:
%ismovie%<MCEB-Movies\%showname% (%airyear%)
works fine if a Movie is Matched. Bud happily sticks it in the MCEB-Movies library. All good.

MCEB-Movies/
..... Movie Name (YEAR)
Perfect. No Problems.

When no match is made Bud sticks it in the TV Show Library thusly:

MCEB-TV/
.........Bogus Show Name/
..............Season/
.................Bogus Show Name - SE - Bogus Episode Name

That structure is invisible to Plex. It's like it's not even there.

If Bud could recognize it was unable to make a match and utilize:
%isunmatched%<MCEB-Home Videos\%showname%

I can set up a Plex Home Videos Library (MCEB-Home Videos) and Plex won't try to match anything in it and everything in it - no matter how it's named or structured - will appear. Alternately, if Plex used the old Bogus structure from it's failed match attempt and put THAT in a Home Videos Library, Plex would mindlessly display it and it's bogus name and that would flag me that I need to fix it. Further, if Bud would just stick unmatched items in the Movie Library Plex would see it at least.

If Bud would just put Zeros where Season numbers and episode numbers need to be:
MCEB-TV/
....Bogus Show Name/
..........Season 00/
............Bogus Show Name - S00E00 - Bogus Episode Name

that would be enough to at least show up in a Plex TV Show Library - flagging me that I need to fix it.

As it stands right now when the Bogus-o-ramma strikes, there's no indication anything ever happened and I have to search through TV Show Folders looking for Bogus Season Folders and bogus file names that didn't match and are invisible to Plex.

There's got to be a way to skin this extremely slippery gato.
Dec 18, 2016 at 9:21 AM
Edited Dec 18, 2016 at 9:27 AM
Well, I'm at a loss. Nothing I do helps.

I need this in Plex to match at TVDB:

A TV Show Library/
........Soundbreaking/
............Season 01/
...............Soundbreaking - S01E07 - Sound and Vision

Bud blows right by a file name to perfectly match at TVDB:
Soundbreaking - S01E07 - Sound and Vision.wtv

Bud ignores an nfo file named:
Soundbreaking - S01E07 - Sound and Vision.nfo
containing:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<tvshow>
<title>Soundbreaking - S01E07 - Sound and Vision</title>
</tvshow>
(I probably have this wrong - I've never in my life used an nfo file)

Bud insists on the bogus embedded metadata inside the WTV file to create:

A TV Show Library/
........Soundbreaking- Stories from the Cutting Edge of Recorded Music/
...........Season 01/
................Soundbreaking- Stories from the Cutting Edge of Recorded Music - S01E07 - Sound and Vision.mp4

I seem to be at the mercy of those Bozos at the network who create the EPG (apparently they don't look at TVDB) that in turn gets written in stone inside the WTV file with no way to change it or delete it.

The last hope is the nfo file and to fix what I may have wrong in the final attempt to trick Bud into naming a file for Plex that will match at TVDB.
Coordinator
Jan 9 at 2:59 PM
Are you on the latest 2.4.6? the NFO will overwrite the WTV metadata.