This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

quit working after windows updates

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:37 PM
I am a new user who donated then installed 2.4.5 and also donated and installed the latest version of comskip. I got everything set up and working fine. PC woke from sleep on schedule and processed files recorded with WinTV as configured. I had no problems for a few weeks and then right after the latest W10 updates were installed on 11/8/16 everything broke. Machine wakes from sleep on time but all conversions fail with "after parsing a value an unexpected character was encountered" and "analyzing video information failed". Then the machine never goes back to sleep. I tried installing 2.4.6 but that didn't help. Any help sorting this out would be appreciated. Before posting logs, etc just wanted to make sure there wasn't a known fix for these updates that others may have encountered.
Nov 22, 2016 at 7:57 AM
Edited Nov 22, 2016 at 7:57 AM
No idea, sorry. I would guess a debug detail log of one conversion would be most helpful at this point.
Nov 24, 2016 at 6:24 PM
Can you upload your conversion log

Nov 25, 2016 at 4:25 PM
Dec 1, 2016 at 3:54 PM
There is an error with your original TS file.
2016-11-24T08:35:42 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.FFmpegMediaInfo --> "probe_score": 50
2016-11-24T08:35:42 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.FFmpegMediaInfo --> }[0x7FFBF7FE70E3] ANOMALY: use of REX.w is meaningless (default operand size is 64)
2016-11-24T08:35:42 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.FFmpegMediaInfo --> }
--> Process exited with code 0
ERROR> 2016-11-24T08:35:55 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.FFmpegMediaInfo --> ERROR Processing FFProbe Output.
Can you upload your original TS file to the MCEbuddy server for analysis.
Dec 2, 2016 at 12:29 PM
I will upload a file soon when I return home. It seems strange that the original TS file is the problem since all TS files report the same error regardless of profile used and no change has been made to the recording software or settings. That is why I was focused on the windows updates and the timing of this problem occurring. I appreciate your help in getting it resolved.
Dec 2, 2016 at 11:18 PM
It's unlikely it's MCEBuddy as after a windows upgrade nothing in MCEBuddy would have changed. Likely it's your tv tuner drivers that may have been updated during the upgrade and causing malformed TS files which would explain the issue. You can try to downgrade your tv tuner drivers or check for an update if there is and then try recording it.
Dec 2, 2016 at 11:26 PM
sample ts file and conversion log uploaded to discussion659559 folder
Dec 2, 2016 at 11:29 PM
if it was malformed ts files would they still play fine in the wintv app? I ask because they all still do.
Dec 3, 2016 at 8:59 PM
I reviewed logs and there is no indication the tv tuner drivers were updated and thus there is no roll back available. There is an upgrade for WinTV v8 available so I can install that and see if it helps solve the problem. It usually includes updated tuner drivers as well.
Dec 3, 2016 at 10:29 PM
I installed the update which did include updated drivers then made a new test recording and the conversion failed as before. I uploaded that ts file and log to the same folder for comparison.
Dec 6, 2016 at 6:31 PM
Edited Dec 6, 2016 at 6:33 PM
Okay the issue isn't your TV tuner or your recording. We're able to convert it just fine. The issue is with your setup. Either Windows or likely some software you're installed is terminating ffmpeg/ffprobe while it's running. Most likely an antivirus having a false positive. Dug a little deeper into the error. (Are you using Trend Micro, if so disable it the latest updating is causing this issue).

This is the error:
ANOMALY: use of REX.w is meaningless (default operand size is 64)
Check out this thread:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1307868-weird-message-when-running-anything-from-cmd-prompt-w10-1607/
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 12/6/2016 at 10:31 AM
Dec 6, 2016 at 7:56 PM
Great info which gives me something to investigate finally. I do use TrendMicro Internet Security on this home PC and never got any notifications to lead me to believe it was a source of the problem but this looks promising. I do use the OfficeScan product at work as well which was detailed in the link. Will let you know what I find. Thanks for pinpointing that line in the log. I had noticed it before but wasn't sure if it was relevant. I was more focused on lines that said "error".
Dec 6, 2016 at 8:05 PM
Dec 6, 2016 at 8:11 PM
Dec 6, 2016 at 11:21 PM
That hotfix was not the one for my product but I did confirm this was the problem and a quick work around was to exclude the mcebuddy folder from all scanning. Conversions seem to be working fine again. Thanks for the help in tracking this down.