This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Roku conversion quality

Mar 24 at 7:23 PM
I convert TS or WTV files using the Roku option. These conversions are fine on a small screen (monitor) but rather poor on out large screen TV.

I convert the files and then use the Plex app on the Roku to view the conversions on the big screen; so I'm not sure if the poor quality is due to Plex, Roku or some combination thereof. MCE converts a 4 - 6 GB file to about 0.4 - 0.5 GB MP4 file using the ROKU setting.

At any rate, is there any other setting I can select in MCE Buddy to give a better large screen experience? ROKU seems to be particular about what it will play.

Wayne
Mar 25 at 3:45 AM
Increase the quality slider and check your max resolution.
Mar 25 at 5:07 PM
Thanx, rboy1.

I've done what you posted and I'll find out tomorrow. A show is set to record tonight with the higher settings. Previous episodes of the show recorded at the ROKU default settings.

Wayne
Mar 31 at 10:39 PM
Edited Apr 1 at 10:32 PM
I'll pile on here... I was having trouble with Plex ff/rw lag due to plex re-encoding on the fly with mp4 aac

I am now trying this instead:
HDHomerun -> mpeg2 .ts -> MCEBuddy 2.4 -> XXX h.264 -> Plex -> Roku 3 - > Onkyo -> 64 Sony TV

Re-encoding as High MKV was ok, but I am trying to get better video quality.

Can't I make the Roku profile 2 pass? Processor is cheap and I am VERY picky about quality. The problem is High "Quality MKV" is AC3, but my understanding is that MKV isn't best for Roku.

I'm using Max width 1920
Quality +25%
Multichannel Audio checked
Apr 8 at 2:32 AM
Yes you can, write a custom profile (see the documentation) for a 2 pass.