This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.


No Audio In Some Converted Videos



Using the default .MP4 conversion, I am getting no audio in some of my converted videos. This is occurring on both SD and HD. I am using the latest beta V2.3.12

I have uploaded the first n mins of a troublesome file to
  • no_audio_after_conversion.wtv
  • no_audio_after_conversion.wtv-Convert to MP4-2013-01-30T22-49-39.8262792+00-00.log
Properties on the output file show a 3Kbit audiosteam

Can you suggest anything that may be done in settings to remedy this?

NB: it will be 00:00 GMT 31st Jan before upload completes!

Kind Regards

Closed Feb 2, 2013 at 6:41 AM by rboy1


rboy1 wrote Jan 31, 2013 at 2:10 AM

The issue is because your original file has 2 audio streams (one which has audio and hte other without audio). Handbrake is accidentally selecting the wrong audio stream with no audio which is creating a problem.

There are 2 ways to work around for now:
  1. Use another ffmpeg or mencoder based profile, like MP4 Normal
  2. Open profiles.conf, under handbrake-video add
    -a 2
    This will tell handbrake to select the 2nd audio stream (where as by default it selects the 1st), however this will only work if every video is setup the same way (ie. order of audio tracks)

veletron wrote Jan 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM


I have tried 'MP4 High Quality', 'MP4 Normal', 'MP4 Fast', 'MKV High' and 'MKV Normal' profiles with this file, all with no Audio.

Unfortunately, since it MCEBuddy works with most of my videos, if I change it to use the second stream, I wont get audio with all the stuff that converts just fine at the moment!

I guess I will need to make a custom profile that uses the second audio stream, and run that manually for any recordings that I get that don't have audio on the 1st attempt.

If there a way, perhaps of detecting 'no audio' in the 1st stream and auto-changing to the second stream, or perhaps having handbrake encode all streams (I can then just change the stream on my playback device, an android tablet with MX Player).

I will try encoding the second stream tonight and see if the audio comes back!

Many thanks


wrote Jan 31, 2013 at 2:35 PM

rboy1 wrote Jan 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I'm trying something, no promises.

veletron wrote Jan 31, 2013 at 5:23 PM


Just to let you know, if I use -a 1,2 in profiles.conf then I am getting both streams (the silent one and the working one). I get my sound by switching to the second stream on my android playback device.

I will try re-encoding some of my existing videos (which did have audio previously) to see if I still get audio now on the 1st stream.

Kind Regards


rboy1 wrote Feb 2, 2013 at 6:40 AM

I'm going to fix this in the next release. However here is how it will work, WHEN and IF you select an Audio Language in the conversion task settings, MCEBuddy will prefer a non-impaired audio track over an impaired audio track.
However this will only work when an audio language is selected, so right click on the file, select MediaInfo and find the language if you want MCEBuddy to skip over impaired tracks here possible. (some file may have both tracks impaired, in which it will choose the audio track with the most channels in it)
Refer to the documentation -> common issues for more details.

wrote Feb 2, 2013 at 6:41 AM

veletron wrote Feb 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM


Just FYI. If I use the -a 1,2 to encode the 1st and 2nd stream, this works find for videos with 2 streams. Unfortunately handbrake dies if you supply this config to it and the video is single-stream. I would have thought it would shrug its shoulders and do its best, but it just quits.

PS: Nice to see you have a solution for this issue, I shall look forward to the next release!

Kind Regards


wrote Feb 22, 2013 at 3:08 AM

veletron wrote Feb 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM


Just a query - should this be fixed in the latest version in the early_access folder on your FTP? I have tried encoding with the locale set to 'eng' (source is 'eng', using both 'MP4 fast' and 'MP4 normal' profiles. I am getting audio, but it is hugely slowed down (sounds like it is being played at 1/10th speed or something!). Resulting video has a single audio track. I will upload some sample sources/logs tonight

I am also having another issue with a video that has no audio, and is also short at 16 mins vs 2hrs for original!

I also have many videos that have converted successfully of course!

Kind Regards


rboy1 wrote Feb 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM

If you're still facing an issue, create a folder on teh FTP server and upload a copy of the source video and the log file that is creating an issue

wrote May 16, 2013 at 1:44 PM