1

Closed

Audio/Video out of sync with WTV/DVR-MS Conversion

description

Hi, this is a bit complicated, so I will break it down in bullet points:

*Did clean install of Windows 8 on a Toshiba laptop in February
*Few days later, converted some dvr-ms files which came out OK, no sync issues.
*Few days ago, installed latest version of MCEBuddy (the first time I forgot to remove the previous installation, so I went back and uninstalled the new version, and then reinstalled the new version)
*Now, when I try to convert the exact same dvr-ms files I converted back in February, the audio is in sync at the beginning of the video and seems to get progressively more out of sync later in the video
*I tried using the -ss 30 parameter, but that didn't help
*audiodelay was already set to skip
*I am not removing any commercials from the videos
*I have tried both iPad (non hi-res) and M4V Apple Conversions

Since the conversion initially worked OK with no sync issues right after I installed Windows 8, I'm thinking there might be a compatibility issue with some program I installed later on. I have gone through and removed most non-essential programs from Windows startup, but that has not solved the issue. One program I installed later on was Cyberlink PowerDVD 10, which seems to have it's own Windows 8 issues, but I removed any related PowerDVD programs from Windows startup.

Are there any known compatibility issues with other programs that may be causing this issue? Do you have any other recommendations for resolving the audio sync problem? The audio offset does not seem to be constant either, as the video progresses, it seems to be at least several seconds off later on in the video. The video is only 1/2 hour long.

The log files that are generated are very large also, 10 to 50 mb, I don't know if that is normal or not. Unfortunately, I don't have the log files for the original conversions I did back in February.

One last thing, my laptop has an i5 cpu which is usually maxed out during the conversion, I don't know if that is normal or not, or could be causing a problem.

Thanks ahead for the help.
Closed Jun 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM by rboy1
Corrupted video

comments

rboy1 wrote Jun 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Try using the MP4 Normal profile and let me know if the problem still exits. I've seen this issue with some handbrake conversions, but they usually go away with ffmpeg based conversions

rboy1 wrote Jun 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Can you upload a copy of the video so I can figure out what's going on.

rboy1 wrote Jun 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I've tried every broken, malformed WTV file I have in my stash and I'm unable to replicate the issue with the latest BETA.

ARe you using the latest BETA? (can you upload a conversion log here).

Also upload a copy of your video to the MCEBuddy server so I can see what's going on.

Volantis wrote Jun 18, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Hi, I started uploading the file around 8 this morning where it says "attach file" on this page, and there is a green box that says working and a spinning arrow (am I uploading the file in the right place?). The file is 5.5 gb. My internet connection is fairly fast, it should have uploaded by now, I would think. I am using 2.3.12, not the latest beta.

rboy1 wrote Jun 18, 2013 at 2:33 AM

you can't attach anothing larger than 10MB here. You will need to upload the file to the MCEBuddy server

see the "Read me before posting" thread on the discussion forum on the details of the MCBuddy server. My internet connection is 50Mbps so it should upload pretty fast.

Let me konw the folder nad file name once you've done the upload

Volantis wrote Jun 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM

ftp://mcebuddy@mcebuddy.dyndns.org/Audio_Sync/06-18-2013/ I uploaded the original file and log file to the above location. I viewed the output mp4 video associated with the uploaded log file, and I noticed the audio was in sync until the 3:11-3:12 mark at which time there was some interference in the original broadcast. It's at this exact time that the audio goes out of sync with the video in the output mp4 file. There may be other times during the video where this also happens. The thing I don't understand is why the mp4 file I made back in February from the same original stayed in sync throughout, whereas this new conversion is going out of sync.

rboy1 wrote Jun 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I check it out, unfortunalyte that corruption is recording is causing all encoders to cause the audio to go out of sync with the video
This isn't a issue that can be "fixed", corrupted video can cause unpredictable output and not much can be done always.

As for why it worked the first time, I don't know - lucky probably.

Volantis wrote Jun 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Thanks for the info. Good to know that some corrupted videos just can't be converted, will save a lot of frustration later on. I think I'll try the conversion once on MP4 high quality and see if that makes any difference.

rboy1 wrote Jun 20, 2013 at 6:17 PM

you're also using a very old vresion of MCEBuddy

Volantis wrote Jun 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I tried converting a different dvr-ms file and the audio was again out of sync. Then I converted the original wtv file instead of the dvr-ms and the audio is in sync. So I guess the solution is to just convert the original wtv files directly instead of converting to dvr-ms first and then using mcebuddy.

rboy1 wrote Jun 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM

DVR-MS files typically are out of sync by 300 to 500ms. So if the Audio is "consistently" out of sync it's an issue, just correct it using the audio offset option.

If the audio is progressively or suddenly goes out of sync then it's an issue

rboy1 wrote Jun 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM

DVR-MS files typically are out of sync by 300 to 500ms. So if the Audio is "consistently" out of sync it's NOT an issue, just correct it using the audio offset option.

If the audio is progressively or suddenly goes out of sync then it's an issue