This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Commercial cut on CBS

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I've noticed for quite awhile that the promos for CBS shows are not cut out. This doesn't seem to be the case with ABC or NBC recordings.

Is there something unique about CBS that the promos fot their shows aren't cut out? Are the show promos different than the other commercials?

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Possbily the way CBS makes it promo's (logo's, contract/brightlness levels, scene cuts etc) can possibly trick Comskip. Look at the documentation page, under Advanced Commands, refer to the Comskip tuning guide and see how you can play with the paramters to create a ini file that works better for you with CBS.

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM

rboy1,

Thanxs for the tip but I'm not very computer literate; so I'm afraid your suggestion is beyond my ability. I did look though the MCEBuddy setting and didn't see anything helpful.

I was hoping that this was something that could be handled by the MCEBuddy developer. But maybe it's not an issue for masny orher individuals using MCEBuddy.

BTW, MCEBuddy is a great program and I think I'll donate. I have a commercial program from Bigasoft which does a terrible job of conversion (a lot of pixilation) and doesn't cut the commercials.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM

wayneP, Tuning Comskip unfortunately isn't something that can be done through MCEBuddy. The primary reason being that each channel/country has a slightly different broadcast format and settings. MCEBuddy is setup to be effective 90% of the time however in specific cases like your the users would need to create custom detection routines.

I can help outline the process for creating one.

Step 1: Open C:\Program Files\MCEBuddy2x\comskip

Step 2: Copy the comskip.ini file to another place (e.g. desktop or another folder)

Step 3: Start MCEBuddy -> Click Settings -> Double Click on the Conversion Task you want to use ->Click on Advanced Settings button

Step 4: User Comskip INI section, enter the location of the comskip.ini you have copied in step 2 (or click on the ... and select the file)

So far you've told MCEBuddy to use a custom Comskip.ini (commercial detection parameters) for the conversion task you had created

The next step is to customize comskip.ini to work better for your channels

Step 5: Open Comskip.ini using notepad - it is a text file with a bunch of parameters that you can adjust and see what works best for you. It's a trial and error method to see what works for you. Refer to the following website for more details on what each parameter means and how to adjust it http://www.kaashoek.com/files/tuning.htm

If the above process if too cumbersome or difficult, I would suggest you reach out to other members on the forum (create a new discussion thread) to get help or even copies of their comskip.ini. Many users have created custom Comskip.ini files for various channels and countries (there are users from over 90 countries using MCEBuddy) and they might be willing to share it with you.

Hope this helps.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Thanx again rboy1 for your help and suggestions.

I had looked at the ini file on my computer and I had also looked at the link in your last post before I saw the post and it might as well have been Greek.

Since there isn't a straight forward solution and since CBS is the only outlet that is at issue and we use MCE mostly for time shifting, I don't think I'll pursue a remedy. It just isn't worth the time and effort. If there were a lot of shows I wanted to archive, I'd make the time and effort.

Wayne

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Interestingly, can you elaborate what you mean by time shifting and how you're using MCEBuddy? (Curious).

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Hi rboy1,

We have a Windows 7 machine with 3 QAM, 1 OTA and 1 analog (for cable w/o a box) to record TV and then send it over a wired network to a Sony SNP-100 media player via HDMI to the  Sony HD RPTV.

There are a lot of shows on at 10PM US Eastern time that we don't like to stay up for; so they are recorded for veiwing at some time when there isn't any live broadcast TV that we're interested in (thus time shifted). There are also many shows that my wife isn't interested in that I record for watching when we're at our lake home that doesn't have cable TV and it's too far away for OTA TV. She reads while I watch the recorded TV.

I routinely use MCEBuddy to compress the show to conserve disk space and convert them to a format that is playable through my Diamond MultiMedia player at the lake. The Sony Media player plays MP4 fine but although the Diamond is susposed to play DIVX and MP4 it doesn't seem to work with MCEBuddy DIVX or MP4; so I have to use another program to convert the MP4 to XVID. Since commercials annoy my wife to no end, I strip out the commercials while I'm doing the compression/conversion.

The original MP4 conversions are fine on the Sony and while there is likely some quality loss in the second conversion, it isn't noticeable on the cathode ray TV at the lake even using component in.

Wayne