This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Fastest way to convert .wtv to mp4 and trim

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I'm currently running MCEBuddy on a new HTPC with an i3... 

I have been dragging recorded .wtv files into a folder and letting MCEBuddy Churn away at default MP4 normal settings, however this gives me files that end up with at least 30 seconds to a couple minutes before and after each show.

I have tried to tweak comskip settings to remove the before and after which doesn't seem to work reliably.  Because there are up to 4 things recording at once, there isn't a predictable amount before or after to trim....  Sometimes it gets the starts perfectly but generally the ending is either cut off by Windows Media Center or runs long (3-5 minutes too much).

The goal is to leave it running 12-24 hours a day to catch up with the backlog of shows that are taking up a ton of space, but if I have to individually set trim settings and wait a half hour or longer for each file to convert it will never get more than a couple a day, looking for some advice if anyone else has run into this.

I've also tried moving the finished mp4s into a folder but there doesn't seem to be a way to trim off the extras without waiting through another agonizingly slow reconvert.  I'm trying to get it to process about 25GB of recorded stuff a day and adding extra steps cuts that by at least 2/3.

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I see nobody replied yet,

Basically the way I'm doing it now I end up with an MP4 that is pretty good quality but has crap on the beginning or ending - is there a fast way to trim that off without converting the whole file again or is there a better way to do it before I do the mp4 convert that can be done automatically?

I've fiddled with the comskip settings, adjusted the show or commercial lengths, it doesn't seem to make a difference it just doesn't remove the extra stuff.

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:19 AM

to Trim the start and end of hte video, open The Conversion Task -> Click on Advanced Settings -> Use the Start Trim and End trim boxes to trim it.