This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

GPU acceleration

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Edited Nov 20, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Is it possible to use a GPU to convert video files in MCEBuddy? If not is there a free program that will use NVIDIA Cuda cores to convert to .mp4 high quality 1st then let MCEBuddy do the rest (remove commercials, rename, etc...)? I guess it doesn't have to be free if it works fast, but free is always better.

Thank you.

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:30 PM

JESTSTAR,

I use this: http://www.bigasoft.com/wtv-converter.html to convert to XVID for a device that won't play MCE buddy mp4. It's $30 and has a GPU acceleration option. It doesn't remove commercials and I haven't tried to remove commercials from the XVID files with either MCE Buddy or standalone Comskip.

A recorded ~6 GB .wtv file is converted to XVID in about 1 hr @ 1280x720 and normal quality conversion (Video Bitrate=10000).

Quite frankly, I don't notice any difference using the CUDA option over my previous onboard AMD video. However, I have never directly compared apples to apples. Sometimes I'm converting several files at once and sometimes just a single file and I don't know how the bigasoft program works. That is, I don't know if it uses all cores on a single file conversion, or it always uses a single core/file no matter how many files are converting.

The machine I use is a triple core AMD Phenom II on a ECS Black mobo with 8 GB of RAM and a NVidia GT 630 card with 1 GB of GDDR5.

Wayne

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:12 PM

JESTSTAR,

I forgot to mention that you're not limited to XVID and you can change the size, bitrate and there are other options as well in audio and special items.

Wayne

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Not as yet, CUDA support is still in dev for MCEBuddy and the initial test results (now 6 months old) were about 10 faster. I was comparing to a Dual Core system.

It will take time since MCEBuddy has evolved very much since the last Alpha developement cycle, but is definitely on the cards.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

10% or 10x? My initial assessment didn't seem to be much of a speed improvement. 10% would be what I might be seeing using a different program.

Wayne

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:58 AM

10x - 1000%

Jan 22, 2014 at 3:44 PM
I know this thread has been idle for a while, but is there any update on when CUDA support might be available?
Jan 22, 2014 at 4:00 PM
Right now the focus is on getting opencl out since there is ready support for it and easy to integrate. CUDA still exists as a PoC right now. It is getting a little complicated to integrate with mcebuddy.

Lobbying Nvidia to add support for opencl 1.2 would be great

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:29 AM
@caestelle I'm about to release a new BETA with hardware encoding - it uses handbrake and quick sync.

You may want to wait for that or you can try to run the latest nightly build of handbrake on your system with the qsv_h264 encoder and see what is says. On my test system it detected my NVidia and OpenCL (it's very old so didn't run well), but if you have a never Nvidia card it may run on it.
Feb 6, 2014 at 4:30 AM
wayneP wrote:
10% or 10x? My initial assessment didn't seem to be much of a speed improvement. 10% would be what I might be seeing using a different program. Wayne
It depends on your settings. On the Fast profiles I'm seeing a 1000% improvement, SUPER FAST, but on the HighQuality Profiles it's about 30% (depending upon the configuration).
Feb 7, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Hardware encoding support with MCEBuddy running as a Service and Command Line just went live. Right now it supports OpenCL 1.2 (QuickSync and NVidia OpenCL for newer cards which support OpenCL 1.2). Currently only handbrake provides support for OpenCL encoding but MCEBuddy has been designed to support Mencoder and ffmpeg encoders also if future versions support hardware encoding.

For those who like to experiment, you can build and use the OpenCL version of ffmpeg (which support unshake and unsharp filters via OpenCL) and the current build of ffmpeg that comes with MCEBuddy allows x264lib to use OpenCL for lookahead offloading. To enable this you will need to manually edit the ffmpeg-video section and under x264opts add "opencl" to it. Google it for details. Note however that x264 in ffmpeg and opencl are still not very stable.

I haven't seen any build of mencoder which support OpenCL or any hardware encoding, however if it comes along, pop it in , customize the profile and you're ready to go.
Marked as answer by rboy1 on 2/7/2014 at 2:44 PM