Conversion Tasks - File name match task selection

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I'd like to have multiple conversion tasks, in particular I want to have two specific conversion tasks and then a default.

There does not seem to be any way to order the conversion  tasks other than the order they are created which seems to imply order is not important yet in thinking about which conversion task might run for any given file it is not clear how to setup matching criteria.

I am trying to understand if in the first two tasks I have something like "PBS*" in one and "Star Trek*" in the next in the file name match, can I have a third task with either just a "*" or blank to match any file that does not match the first two or will this last task always run?

Asked another way, is the goal to select one conversion task for each file and if so, is there an ordering in terms of which task is selected (ie normally filters match the first hit) or are all tested and then one selected?

I understand one can have a negative match, like ~*, so would one add ,~* to the end of the first two conversion tasks in my above example?

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Search the forum, this has been answered before. Also rest your mouse of the file match box to get examples of usage.

1. Any negative match needs to be accompanied with a *, i.e. *;~ncis* - which means match all, except those starting wtih NCIS

2. Using the above, you can setup the match for the default task. So if the 1st task is PBS (ie. PBS*), the 2nd Task is Star Trek (i.e. Star Trek*), the Third Task will be alll except the 1st and 2nd, i.e. *;~PBS*;~Star Trek*

Marked as answer by rboy1 on 1/29/2014 at 8:42 AM
Jan 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM

As someone who participates in many forums, I understand the need to research before asking.   Perhaps I was unable to determine the correct search criteria, but I did search and was unable to find the answer to this specific question, I was able to answer all of my other questions including examples of usage, file renaming, control of the directories...   IMHO this detail would be a great addition to the manual or faq.

MCEBuddy has significantly matured since I first tried it last year, it seems to hit a great level of simplicity without compromising functionality in a very complex arena, very well done!

I infer from you answer that only one conversion task is selected but am still not 100% clear if order is important, as if the third task were the second, would processing ever get to the third?   I'll have to experiment to figure it out or I see that I can edit mcebuddy.conf in the config directory and manually put the default task at the end.

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Some of the information has been give in the Advanced Commands section of the documentations under: Filename and Showname Pattern Matching

Regarding the order, it does not matter. MCEBuddy will pass each file to every Conversion task in the list. Each conversion task will independently match the files name or showname against the filename and showname filters/expressions respectively.

If the conversion task finds a match it will process the file else it will pass on it.

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Okay I've added a section Multiple Conversion Tasks Customized by ShowName or FileName under Advanced Commands. Hope this helps.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Yes, this helps tremendously and I am sure will help others.

I can understand why this methodology was chosen, it is simple and flexible, but I can also see why I was hesitant and not entirely confident about setting up a default.   From the description, a default profile requires maintenance, every time another profile is added, the default must be updated to exclude it.

I am wondering if a very poor work around would be to have each profile delete the source when done with its conversion, this would make it unavailable to the default profile, not with standing any errors logged.   Perhaps addition of a default profile check box could be considered in a future version that would not allow entry of selection criteria and would only run if no other profiles had run?

For my purposes, now that I have clarity, I can move on, thank you.

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to you both. I had the same exact question, and had searched a bit and like lightman2 not really found the answer. Then I happened to stumble on this thread. Then I looked at the sections rboy1 added in documentation.

I don't know how well it will work, but I have located a solution to my question!

-ron
Jan 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM
I also want to thank both of you for the information contained within, and linked to.

However I have 1 outstanding issue that is not covered; and that is regarding the use of different selection criteria for different recording and how to set this up in the default task. So; what I mean by this is that for task 1 - I want all programs on channel ABC2 moved to a folder unprocessed, task 2 - specific program also moved to folder unprocessed (different channel), task 3 - same as task 2 but different program and channel. Run alone each task runs fine. However when all 3 tasks exist and I try to setup a default task (4) that converts all other recordings to 3GP format; I can not seem to setup the exclusion criteria to cover all tasks...task 4 will either exclude recordings covered by task 1 (by channel name) OR exclude recordings covered by tasks 3 and 4 (by recording name) it won't do both...its like it reads the exclusion pattern it comes across first and then ignores the other pattern fields.

Any help would be appreciated...
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Post your patterns for each task. Use the code triple quotes otherwise some symbols may be mashed by codeplex.

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Edited Jan 28, 2014 at 1:10 AM
Thanks for the response.
I've taken screenshots to help show what I'm trying to get across...

Top Level Task setup

Task 1 - Copy all recordings from Channel ABC2 - the kids stuff :)

Task 2 Copy specific recording from Channel ABC1 (Task 3 is the same just a different program on different channel - omitted to keep this as simple as possible)

Task 4 - Convert to 3GP - everything else not covered by preceding tasks.

Issue: Task 4 will either skip Task 1 recordings and Convert Task 2/3 recordings as well as all other correct recordings, or it will skip Task 2/3 recordings and convert Task 1 recordings as well as all other correct recordings. I can not seem to get Task 4 to skip Task 1 and 2 recordings and only convert everything else. Oh, and Delete Source File is on.

Thanks for any assistance with this...
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2014 at 2:07 AM
Quick question - what version are you using?
Also can you zip and upload mcebuddy.log to see exactly what's going on.

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2014 at 8:19 PM
this is working fine in the latest 2.3.15 version. Update and try it, if you're still facing issues, post back with your mcebuddy.log file.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay in replying to you.

We are using Build 13 - just updated last week, thus having a go at the above setup again.

We've been having issues with HTPC running incredibly slowly for the last few days and decided to run a Registry Cleaner...it decided that it would also remove .log files as well - I didn't notice it had included logs not located on C: (mcebuddy is installed on D:) and thus the damned thing has deleted all log files everywhere...

I'll upgrade to Build 15 and let you know how things go in a few days...

Again, many thanks.
Feb 7, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Update:

We are still using Build 13...and its all working as everyone expects.

It would appear that the Registry Cleaner has solved the issue - whatever it was. I can only assume that a previously uninstalled version to MCEbuddy left something behind in the Registry...we have had a number of different versions/builds installed over the time we have being using MCEbuddy, including 32 and 64 bit versions in various locations/drives.

Again, many thanks for the active support...
Coordinator
Feb 7, 2014 at 1:26 AM
Mcebuddy does NOT use the registry or modify it or access it in any way.

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:52 AM
That being the case, it makes it all the more a mystery...but it is working now...